283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

46 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Which is a shame since it is the logo of the University of North Dakota hockey team.

What is a shame is that we spent a ton of money on forcing a new name and logo against the wishes of a vast majority and this is what we ended up with. It is an Average secondary logo at best. It will look alright on the shoulder of a jersey or even on a helmet but it is a huge fail as far as a logo that you could use on the front of a jersey...it is probably even very limited to what colors you will be able to put it on. Schafer should have went with a black or green T-shirt today....it looked like a blotch on the grey shirt.

So there is a lot of mixed emotions regarding the announcement of the new Fighting Hawks logo for the University of North Dakota.  I am disappointed with the negative comments that are out there by people in our fanbase.  I think we can all agree that this  whole nickname ordeal has been a long, messy, unorganized, cluster of a process.  Were there things they could have done better, sure.  Were there other nicknames and logos that could have been better, sure.  But we have now come to a point where instead of bickering amongst ourselves and complaining about nickname issues, we must come together and rally around the new name and logo and move forward and focus on the important things for UND athletics.  And that is success on the playing field/court/ice/etc.  The Fighting Sioux name and logo was great.  But it’s time for all of us as UND fans to accept reality and embrace change.  As much as many of us want to be the Fighting Sioux again and have the old logo back, it’s not gonna happen.  So instead of using all that effort to complain about change and cause a divide by refusing to move on, why don’t we all use our energy to support the University of North Dakota and its athletic teams and athletes.  We will always be fans of the University of North Dakota.  The name and logo has changed several times in our past, but the passion and tradition of the University of North Dakota has always been the same.  Let us embrace the change and move forward and continue to all cheer for our team together, united.  #UNDproud

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I wonder how many more people would've been in favor of choosing no nickname at the time, knowing this would ultimately be the alternative?

i can't see this new logo bringing anything to the table in terms of branding and merchandise sales, as we were told were important reasons why we absolutely needed a new name.  

I'd sure love to have the interlocking ND and nothing else right about now.

• Upvote 2

My takeaway from this whole process is the disconnect from most fans and the administrative people.  When time and again you come away with the thought "what in the world are they seeing or thinking" it just makes you wonder if these people are so removed from the average fan that they have a hard time representing them at the table.  It reminds me of our representatives in Washington D.C., albeit to a lesser degree. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

My takeaway from this whole process is the disconnect from most fans and the administrative people.  When time and again you come away with the thought "what in the world are they seeing or thinking" it just makes you wonder if these people are so removed from the average fan that they have a hard time representing them at the table.  It reminds me of our representatives in Washington D.C., albeit to a lesser degree. 

Complete disconnect. Exactly.  I'm curious to see the other choices and the criteria that UND gave this marketing group. I feel like the logo even more important with moving on, as is the nickname. We probably should have had a vote at least to decide. Give us as fans, alumni, and supporters a chance to pick a logo we can get behind. 

• Upvote 1

really sucks that they are phasing out the interlocking ND instead of just keeping it in addition to the new logo.

As for the logo, I probably wouldn't have been thrilled with anything, but I am disappointed that this is the best that they could come up with after all of the time and money that was spend. It really is pretty boring and shows now creativity. I saw several mock up ideas from other that would have been a much better alternative, and there was most certainly a way to create a logo that would have incorporated a taste of the previous name and logo with taking away from the hawk name, and also remaining PC.

Overall, I'm not shocked. It just another poor step in an overall poor process by the University. I'm glad that Bubba and some of the coaches and athletes are enthusiastic about the name and logo, but certainly can't expect everyone to be quite as upbeat.

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Agreed.  Especially after it worked so well in selecting a cool new nickname.

I'm not implying that everyone was happy with the process, but at least we have some name that we somewhat agreed upon.  Now we have a seriously weak logo. Choose a random hawk clip art, we could have gotten behind that easier than this. 

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Just like the N and D in the font:

UND_Stacked_Wordmark_Full_Color_LBG.jpg?

Ah, I had not seen that.  It does not improve my opinion of the logo.  Why does what looks like a V hanging off the right side of the N go below the line of text?  It just looks dumb.

12 minutes ago, keikla said:

Nothing was going to compare to the Sioux logo.  It just won't.  But those days are gone, and we're stuck with the Fighting Hawks.

I'm not in love with the logo, but I like it.  I had low expectations considering how many !@#$ hawk logos are out there (see the UMass-Lowell and Iowa logos in this thread).  I agree that I think southpaw's grey rendition is the best possible option so far.

I will say one thing, and I know that this will probably be a very polarizing opinion:  I'm really disappointed in the public reaction of some of the current hockey players.  I get that they don't love it; most people don't.  And former players are going to say what they will.  But as current student athletes, they represent the university, and I think this is one day that negative opinions should have been kept behind closed doors.  If you don't like it, that's fine, but there's no reason to be complaining on social media about it being the ugliest logo in all of sports.

You think they should gag order their athletes? Interesting. I can see the recruiting advantage now:
Bubbs: "Hey come to the University of North Dakota and win championships."
Recruit: "didn't your administration have problems understanding the 1st amendment?"
Bubbs: "Umm"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, ClassB said:

You think they should gag order their athletes? Interesting. I can see the recruiting advantage now:
Recruit: "didn't your administration have problems understanding the 1st amendment?"

Clearly that is what he was saying.

2 minutes ago, ClassB said:

He didn't say the university should stop them from speaking out.

6 minutes ago, ClassB said:

1st Amendment....really?

They are the only program that has openly fought the name change the entire way.  Fought the process, fought the selection, made fun of any name options other than nothing.  It's f'cking embarrassing that they aren't told to embrace the change as best they can, being they are receiving a roughly $70000 scholarship to play for that athletic department.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, tnt said:

You're forgetting that Ed Schafer said he was hands-on because he had the business background to do so. Yes, he was a part of the administration, but he is a business "outsider." That's why he could make all the tough decisions, right? He had the final say and he is going to take credit for it. If Kelley is held responsible for the nickname process and voting, then Ed should be responsible for this as well, right?

The logo is OK at best. I don't think it fits the criteria that was set forth by the focus groups. I know the name doesn't, but I actually think they had an opportunity and they just kind of landed on "meh."

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Your logo (in your picture) is WAY better than what was chosen (two different companies obviously). However I wonder if SME had chosen to add more color they would have gotten sued by the company which created the logo in your picture?

i don't think my avatar was made by a company...just a guy playing around and adding stuff to his portfolio...maybe in 25 years we can pay him 50k to give us my avatar?