283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

27 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

really sucks that they are phasing out the interlocking ND instead of just keeping it in addition to the new logo.

This is the surprising (and under-reported) part of the story today in my opinion.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but prior to today, I don't believe the University has ever indicated that the interlocking ND logo was in jeopardy of being retired.  In fact, during the nickname transition, the administration seemed to go out of their way to say the interlocking ND logo would remain intact.  And I'm not a fan of how they buried that nugget in the middle of a printed Q&A while everyone is focused on whether they like the new logo or not.  Typical PR B.S.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

The players are incapable of censoring themselves without being ordered to?

I find that young men, in particular, have a hard time censoring themselves when they think they are standing for what is right.

A question I, and others have brought up on other sites is, how will the logo be incorporated onto the helmets?  Will the Hawk face forward on one side and backwards on the other side?  Will they remove the ND so it can face forward on both sides??

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ClassB said:

I find that young men, in particular, have a hard time censoring themselves when they think they are standing for what is right.

Objecting to a new logo for his own university is "standing for what is right?"   :lol:   What a warrior.  He is coming off as an idiot if anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

A question I, and others have brought up on other sites is, how will the logo be incorporated onto the helmets?  Will the Hawk face forward on one side and backwards on the other side?  Will they remove the ND so it can face forward on both sides??

Good point.  Not too uncommon to put the player's number on one side or even just leave it blank though.  

I've been a big Ed fan but he let me down here - but he must be right for the job & doesn't really care cause he does not plan to run for any offices

PS ....I think Stenjhem was hurt by his lack of support for the Fighting Sioux name

Can only hope that someday both Sioux tribes agree to fight to bring back their name & someone with deep pockets supports them 

I really wish UND would have have included some computer images/schemes of what the logo would look like/could look like on uniforms/helmets etc.  Maybe they are waiting until the merchandise launch in August...just seems like they could have (should have) included it in today's release.

• Upvote 1

I voted for the Hawks name and was looking forward to the logo, but this is beyond bad.   Send it back and try again, the ND is almost indistinguishable and it gets worse from there.   I hate this logo, I just do!!!

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Wouldn't have made more sense to put "UND" behind the hawk? Ya know for University. Not its leaves people wondering what letter is behind there? O P B ? Idk.

yes...have a primary logo and a secondary logo..one with the confusing nd or und and one with just the "hawk" head...but with some color

20 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The players are incapable of censoring themselves without being ordered to?

I don't like the idea of gag orders on anyone. Either you believe in the 1st Amendment or you don't.

And regarding the comment about how much student-athletes receive in scholarships and FCOA stipends; are you saying they are employees? That is a can of worms I would not touch with a 10 foot pole. And would any coach even consider cutting an athlete because they spoke out against something they didn't agree with?

Let people vent and express how they feel about this.

16 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Objecting to a new logo for his own university is "standing for what is right?"   :lol:   What a warrior.  He is coming off as an idiot if anything.

6 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Interesting that we think the guys with the logo on their chests can't criticize it, but the person who commissioned it can?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, northernraider said:

What a ridiculously misleading title.

“As I’m looking at some of the social media tags here, it looks like maybe we didn’t do the job” Schafer told KFGO’s Dan Hammer. “But that was the plan, to have this iconic, clear crisp logo.”

Schafer said “it’s going to take awhile” for many people to become accustomed to the logo. “It is a transfer from the old that we love into the new, that’s going to take some time.”

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, keikla said:

I'm not saying the university should force players to keep quiet; I think the players themselves should know better.  And yes, maybe the university could have counseled in advance on a proper public response.  I'm pretty sure the athletic dept already works with the athletes on having an appropriate social media presence; I don't see how this is any different.

-and relatively, I think they probably do keep quiet about a lot of things on social media. I don't think its so clear-cut with the nickname.

When you start talking about the university counseling them on a proper public response in advance, it starts to feel a little bit like a gag order.

• Upvote 1

What are the hockey players saying?

Its boring, but so is Hawks.

Request to the NCAA: Prohibit UND from going ahead with Hawks since there are 50 other NCAA teams with a prior claim to this nickname.

Just now, Cratter said:

I didn't like it....started to grow on me....and now back to not liking it....need a stand alone logo....very dislike the ND in the background.

100% agreed how i'm feeling on this...need a stand alone logo...no one outside of of north dakota knows what the heck that n and d are...not needed...color it up and will be fine

1 minute ago, ClassB said:

-and relatively, I think they probably do keep quiet about a lot of things on social media. I don't think its so clear-cut with the nickname.

When you start talking about the university counseling them on a proper public response in advance, it starts to feel a little bit like a gag order.

No, that's called teaching them how to be adults.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2