Logo Reaction - Grade it!  

283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The only way this works on anything is if the helmet is gray or black.  Even the Black will distort the small amount of black in the logo.  THis process only has grown worse.  As I stated, this logo cannot work on anything green or white without some kind of border.

couple thoughts from me and then I'll be done commenting on this - its not good for my mental health to continue to discuss this subject:

1. Don't tell us 'we'll always be ND' and 'we'll always have the interlocking logo' and 'we appreciate our heritage' and then go ahead and get ANOTHER letter-based logo which will effectively wipe out our interlocking ND -- our connection to teams of the past. This isn't a standalone mascot, its a replacement of the interlocking ND - what will we have parading around the sidelines at football games?

2. after looking at SME's body of work months ago (think NAU), we had to know this was coming.

3. This would be a super cool airplane company logo - clean-cut, simple, sleek. Doesn't give us anything to get excited about.

Go UND.

• Upvote 1

Are we attributing all of this to SME, or were they given criteria by UND that made being creative impossible.  I for one would like to see some of the other designs they came up with.  I can understand with how poorly the other process went why they didn't pick 3 designs to choose from and let the public vote.  If given the criteria that generic is the only option, what could come out of that. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, mksioux said:

No. Per Bubba, they will have this new atrocity on their helmets this coming season.  I guess technically there is an N and D somewhere in that logo (arguably), but you can't dispute that this is a remarkable departure for the football team, which has used pretty much the same logo on its helmet since 1969.  And before that, they just had numbers on the helmets.  The football team has never incorporated the nickname logo on to its helmet.  It's disappointing that they will use this new logo to do so. 

I wonder if Siouxsports.com was this outraged in 1969 when the football team went from numbers on the helmets to the interlocking ND and completely ruined tradition.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Are we attributing all of this to SME, or were they given criteria by UND that made being creative impossible.  I for one would like to see some of the other designs they came up with.  I can understand with how poorly the other process went why they didn't pick 3 designs to choose from and let the public vote.  If given the criteria that generic is the only option, what could come out of that. 

This. I see it as them doing EXACTLY what the administration told them to do.

Just now, Cratter said:

How do they put this on a green shirt or football helmet?

That's what I'm waiting for and what I'm guessing Ed was talking about when saying they were finishing up colors.  I put it on a basic black background and it looks nice.  I wonder if they switch the ND to black for putting it on a green background.

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I wonder if Siouxsports.com was this outraged in 1969 when the football team went from numbers on the helmets to the interlocking ND and completely ruined tradition.

I would actually be quite happy if they went back to numbers on the helmet!

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The only good part of the Brien logo is the eye.  The rest is bad.

I prefer it to what we got... though Someone should start either a North Dakota Airways or North Dakota Parcel Service because this logo would be great for either of those things.

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It'll look fine.

Just win with whatever damn thing is on the helmet. At least the colors will/should match ...

Some people find interest in uniforms and logos, some people don't.  

Just now, southpaw said:

I wonder if Siouxsports.com was this outraged when the football team went from numbers on the helmets to the interlocking ND and completely ruined tradition.

Not all change is equal.  And you can call all this trivial and that's fine, but it means something to a lot of people.   When a University is dropping its 80 year old nickname, it could have held on to at least one marking from the past.  Instead, UND chose to cut ties entirely with its past.    

I was not a huge fan of the interlocking ND logo, but I don't think they should have retired it.   It was a bridge to the past for those who care about those kind of things.  Now it's this thing or nothing.  Teams have no escape from the new branding anymore, which I suppose is exactly what the administration wanted. 

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Some of the complaints a lot of you are coming up with are pretty hilarious. God himself could have done a Fighting Hawks logo and people would still nitpick and whine. Move on, this won't be the logo for the next 1000 years.

lol 'everyone rejoice, its only temporary' - yeah we wanted exactly the opposite, timelessness.