283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 minute ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Bubba's not doing it prominently either for football.  He's simply replacing the ND logo that was taken away from him with the current ND logo.  It wont be displayed prominently on the jerseys any time soon and will remain "North Dakota" there too.

So how would that be any different from hockey?

The logo on a football helmet is the primary identifier for a football uniform.

Again, I'm not saying anything negative about Bubba.  The administration decided to retire the logo the football team has used on its helmet the past 47 years and he's making the best of it.  My issue is with the decision to retire the interlocking ND logo.

6 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Even when the football team only had the Sioux (or no) logo in minor ways, they still had the "other" logo for UND athletics.  Now there is only one logo.

The hockey team used the interlocking ND on their shoulders for many years in different variants.  The football team did not use either Sioux logo in any prominent way on their jersey, nor did men's basketball team.  So I would say the hockey team has been more of a "team" player than any of the other UND athletic teams.  We are still the University of North Dakota, so if they want to stay with the prominent "North Dakota" on their sweaters for hockey, so be it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mksioux said:

The logo on a football helmet is the primary identifier for a football uniform.

Again, I'm not saying anything negative about Bubba.  The administration decided to retire the logo the football team has used on its helmet the past 47 years and he's making the best of it.  My issue is with the decision to retire the interlocking ND logo.

I'm actually probably with you on the decision to retire the ND logo that football used - dont think it was necessary.  I was also with you on the Sioux nickname and logo. 

But Bubba didn't retire either of them and the situation is what it is.  How do you handle the adversity moving forward.  Again, there's 2 ways to do it.

The quote was:  "Bubba is embracing it.  You gonna tell him he is wrong?"

You said "Yes, I'd tell him he's wrong in a respectful way." 

That's not negative towards Bubba and his decision-making?

Just now, UNDvince97-01 said:

I'm actually probably with you on the decision to retire the ND logo that football used - dont think it was necessary.  I was also with you on the Sioux nickname and logo. 

But Bubba didn't retire either of them and the situation is what it is.  How do you handle the adversity moving forward.  Again, there's 2 ways to do it.

The quote was:  "Bubba is embracing it.  You gonna tell him he is wrong?"

You said "Yes, I'd tell him he's wrong in a respectful way." 

That's not negative towards Bubba and his decision-making?

My comment was made before I knew the University retired the interlocking ND logo.  When I made that comment, I thought Bubba was choosing this new logo over the interlocking ND logo. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

The hockey team used the interlocking ND on their shoulders for many years in different variants.  The football team did not use either Sioux logo in any prominent way on their jersey, nor did men's basketball team.  So I would say the hockey team has been more of a "team" player than any of the other UND athletic teams.  We are still the University of North Dakota, so if they want to stay with the prominent "North Dakota" on their sweaters for hockey, so be it.

I agree it should at least be on the shoulder similar to the interlocking ND.  As far as I can remember, hockey is the only program to have a giant crest on their jerseys with the Sioux logo.  For everyone else, it's like this logo replaces the interlocking ND.

5 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

The football team did not use either Sioux logo in any prominent way on their jersey, nor did men's basketball team. 

Football used the Sioux logo on their jerseys in the 2000's on the neck line in the middle of the front of the jersey most recently.

6 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

We are still the University of North Dakota, so if they want to stay with the prominent "North Dakota" on their sweaters for hockey, so be it.

I'm actually ok with this.  A smaller shoulder logo will no doubt happen though.  North Dakota on the front is fine, like football.

3 minutes ago, sioux34 said:

I would like to know what the N is supposed to look like without the bird present.  Why the big dip on the lower right quadrant? I am not loving the new logo. I gave it a D

Just like the N and D in the font:

UND_Stacked_Wordmark_Full_Color_LBG.jpg?

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Probably not....but you sure as hell will make your point by financially hurting the teams and university you love. (high five)

And that's really what we all want here.....to stick it to UND the best way we can.

I'm still trying to figure out more ways that we can hurt UND....be right back....

... or when they realize that this sells far less than a good one would, it would ultimately help the University a lot more.  I think most people that truly care about the University held out hope that this whole process would have had the edge taken off by a decent logo, but when you get this out of the deal, you really have hurt the University.  I don't just buy merchandise to buy it, I want something that catches my eye, as do most people.  I'm sure I might buy a few things, but surely not as much as a I would have with a very nice logo.  Maybe you and others that like it may make up for that difference, time will tell.

28 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Oh.....your "bad" then....

;)

Yep, there's always a danger in posting your thoughts instantly....  My bad.

I hated to see the Sioux nickname go, but at least I understood the reasons behind why it was necessary.  Retiring the interlocking ND logo seems unnecessary to me.  I realize it was often confused with Notre Dame's interlocking ND logo, but I'm not sure that was the reason.  It kind of seems like the administration's attempt to strong-arm teams into using the new logo.  Some might say having only one logo is the smart move from a Marketing 101 standpoint, but many high profile universities have a letter logo and a nickname logo for their athletic departments (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.)  Given how emotional and contentious this whole thing has been at UND, it comes across as pouring salt in the wound.

• Upvote 2