SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Stecher is probably my all time favorite d man for UND. It amazes me that at his size he was able to do all the all the things that he did. He is amazing. I hope he tears it up and has a nice NHL career. It was time for him to go.

Are you old enough to remember the Trees of North Dakota? (hint:  Sports Illustrated)  There were some good ones in that group.  And James Patrick.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What era were the trees of both dakota?

Gino Gasparini era, 1980 NCAA championship.  The Sports Illustrated article called UND's defense "The Trees of North Dakota" because all six were big and tall, and I believe that all six wound up going pro eventually.  Craig Ludwig was the leader of the pack and it included Brad Cox, Mickey Volcan, Howard Walker, Paul Chadwick, and Travis Dunn.  Ludwig had a long distinguished NHL career with the Montreal Canadians and the Dallas Stars, including a couple of Stanley Cups.

On April 12, 2016 at 10:08 PM, yzerman19 said:

Imagine...

Schmaltz with Jost and Boeser

Johnson with Pogo and Gardner

Simo with Olson and 

Gersich with Wilkie and JJ

T.Poolman with Ausmus

Wolanin with Shaw

Evers with C.Poolman

Any ideas on who will fill it in???

I think that thompson will leave since he was close last summer, but i could be wrong. If he does though, this is how I have it. 

8 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

Gino Gasparini era, 1980 NCAA championship.  The Sports Illustrated article called UND's defense "The Trees of North Dakota" because all six were big and tall, and I believe that all six wound up going pro eventually.  Craig Ludwig was the leader of the pack and it included Brad Cox, Mickey Volcan, Howard Walker, Paul Chadwick, and Travis Dunn.  Ludwig had a long distinguished NHL career with the Montreal Canadians and the Dallas Stars, including a couple of Stanley Cups.

Wasn't born yet. I know of UND being completely stacked in the 80 and 82 seasons though.

23 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

Marc Chorney was also a key member of that defense.  Walker and Volcan were plain nasty.  They knew how to lay down the thunder.

1 hour ago, Siouxman said:

Are you old enough to remember the Trees of North Dakota? (hint:  Sports Illustrated)  There were some good ones in that group.  And James Patrick.

29 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

I think Chadwick was a winger.  He was a very physical player.  Loved watching him play.

Speaking of James Patrick...

His nephew Nolan Patrick is projected to go #1 overall in the 2017 draft according to Craig Button of TSN.  In the same draft, Dave Tippett's son, Owen is projected to go #8 overall.  Both are in Major Juniors, unfortunately.  Would have been nice to get a sniff at one of those two, and knowing how connected Dave was (and I'm sure still is) to all the Sioux alumni, he probably at least had a talk with them at some point.

Button also lists UND commit Grant Mismash at #13.  

http://www.tsn.ca/get-to-know-them-patrick-liljegren-in-2017-1.389307

9 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

His nephew Nolan Patrick is projected to go #1 overall in the 2017 draft according to Craig Button of TSN.  In the same draft, Dave Tippett's son, Owen is projected to go #8 overall.  Both are in Major Juniors, unfortunately.  Would have been nice to get a sniff at one of those two, and knowing how connected Dave was (and I'm sure still is) to all the Sioux alumni, he probably at least had a talk with them at some point.

How cool it would've been to have a Patrick and Tippett play together at UND like their dads?   

28 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

I watch a ton of WHL games...live in Seattle...Nolan Patrick is absolutely sick...that kid has size, skill, pedigree in spades...I seriously think he is like a Keith Tkachuk already

He is a guaranteed first rounder and will score 40 goals a few times in the NHL

1 minute ago, yzerman19 said:

I watch a ton of WHL games...live in Seattle...Nolan Patrick is absolutely sick...that kid has size, skill, pedigree in spades...I seriously think he is like a Keith Tkachuk already

He is a guaranteed first rounder and will score 40 goals a few times in the NHL

Kid had a 40 goal 100 point season in the dub as an uneligible for draft 17 year old...on a great team

7 hours ago, BeazSioux said:

Tuch from BC just signed with the Wild

BC is getting decimated with early departures...that's their 4th early departure since they lost to QU last Thurs!
And Demko and White haven't announced their intentions for next season yet...could be a down year for BC next season.

On 3/27/2016 at 3:37 PM, snova4 said:

I'm actually 95% confident Stecher comes back. Ladue is nearly a guarantee that he's gone. I say Schmaltz is 50-50. I think it'd be a mistake if the Poganski thing is true.

Darn that 5% chance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

Best wishes to Troy Stecher.  Night in and night out, I thought he was the best player on the ice for UND.

It seems like every time there was a poke check, diving pass breakup, blocked shot...it was always #2 involved.  So many little things you could only see live

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, franchise said:

It seems like every time there was a poke check, diving pass breakup, blocked shot...it was always #2 involved.  So many little things you could only see live

I think UND teams have become known for their commitment to the team game, but this bunch has really built a culture of unselfish, hard-working play, and Stecher has been an important leader in that respect.  Like many on that team, he is a huge talent, but it's the little things that often separate the best from the rest.   Cliche' but true.  

It will be very interesting to see how he fares at the next level.     

• Upvote 2

With Stecher leaving I thought I'd throw out my predictions:

I hate to see Cam Johnson leave but he is undrafted and he may not get a better chance. Goalies take so long to develop that he could spend 5-6 years in the minors and still never get a sniff. I think he stays.

I expect Thompson to leave. I think his development stalled this year and he probably needs to go someplace else. 

I expect Schmaltz to go. He needed this year to get stronger and he did.

I hope Poolman decides to stay to play with his brother. 

Best case scenario we lose 4 senior forwards, one junior forward (LJ), 2-3 junior defensemen (Stecher, LaDue, Thompson)

That leaves us with: 
Poolman: Junior
Ausmus: Senior
Chratrand: Sophomore
Shaw: Sophomore
Wolanin: Sophomore
Colton Poolman: Freshman
Gabe Bast: Freshman
Casey Johnson: Freshman

Goalies:  The same as this year

Forwards: Caggiula, Chyzyk, St Clair, Sanderson, Johnson  gone
Schmaltz: Junior
Simonson: Junior
Olson: Junior
Poganski: Junior
Boeser: Sophomore
Gardner: Sophomore
Gersich: Sophomore
Wilkie: Sophomore
Janatuinen: Sophomore
Gornall: Sophomore

Coming in: In age order (All of these guys are about 6 ft 185 pounds. 

Zach Yon: 59 games: 38 points  (USHL)  21 yrs old
Cole Smith: 54 games- 61 points (NAHL) 21 yrs old
Dixon Bowen: 47 games- 22 points (BCHL) 21 yrs old
Ludvig Hoff: 56 games - 57 points (USHL) 20 yrs old
Tyson Jost: 48 games - 104 points (BCHL) 18 yrs old

If Schmaltz leaves: Nicholas Jones: 42 games - 63 points. ( he left Ohio State, eligible second semester (BCHL) 20 yrs old