SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

It's been a couple of days, and while it still stings...it's time to move on.  We come off as whiny to the rest of the country, and after the conclusion of the Poly game, we knew this could happen based on our body of work, politics and lack of name recognition in the FCS world.  I am confident the players and coaches will use these events as motivation, and as a lesson to not leave things up to a group of suits.  No matter what, I believe the future is showing brighter all the time for UND football, and next year has the potential to be really fun.  Only 284 agonizingly long days until Stony Brook!

And I never said that a case couldn't made for UND. Nevertheless, I don't see the inconsistency. You gotta prove it on the field ... UND didn't quite do that.

The inconsistency is this:

I feel like once before have they ever taken a 6 D1 win team - SHSU 2010 (11? 12? don't remember), but they have ignored a 7 win team w/FBS win. One unlikely situation, combined with an unprecedented situation make this a little fishy.

What's more, this year would've been great to develop some name recognition, now next year, they'll find a way to keep out an 8 win North Dakota team.

Drake was only 1 win away from being playoff eligible or was maybe already playoff eligible(hard to keep track).... and had a quality loss to Jacksonville and beat tournament bound and previously unbeaten Dayton.:wink:

I know you're being facetious, but Jacksonville is not a quality loss. A 9-2 record in the PFL is nothing to write home about. 

Idaho received an at-large in a 16 team field with a 6-4 record in 1995.  I believe that team and the aforementioned SHSU are the only teams to make the playoffs with 6 DI wins.  You're right, though, the criteria has always been 6.  I don't know why everybody thinks 7 wins was a hard and fast rule.

I remember AGS preaching 7 wins as the criteria, when people brought up the 6 wins as defined in the rule book.  People would get mashed on...  so, I think that is why people stick to 7.  Of course it is going to be 6 with "quality losses" now.

New working theory:

With it being known how many FCS teams are struggling monetarily, the committee has know thrown them a life raft by removing the unofficial "rule of 7" and then openly stating that they will look at quality losses, giving those financially struggling teams the OK to schedule two FBS money games to help balance their budget and still have a realistic shot at the playoffs. Having to go 6-3 in your remaining 9 games gives more wiggle room and those financially struggling teams won't be as hesitant to do it knowing they are likely to get a pass on the FBS losses. 

:tinfoilhat:

Here is the committee, a handful of teams to have known budget issues are represented:

Along with Tennessee Tech AD Mike Wilson (the committee chair), the selection committee consists of athletic directors Chuck Burch (Gardner-Webb), Troy Dannen (Northern Iowa), Brian Hutchinson (Morehead State), Richard Johnson (Wofford), Nathan Pine (Holy Cross), Marty Scarano (New Hampshire), Paul Schlickmann (Central Connecticut State), Dr. Brad Teague (Central Arkansas) and Jeff Tingey (Idaho State).

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20151119161831381552404&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

• Upvote 1

The more I read and watch about this situation the madder I get.  Purely amateur hour.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3890049-college-football-selection-chair-explains-playoff-process 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3889465-und-football-big-sky-dumbfounded-fcs-playoff-picks 

Quote from @UNIPantherAD:  "Some things will remain consistent, we need to win 7 D1 games".  A constant from committee to committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCotwOXYY44 

• Upvote 2

The criteria is the SRS ranking or follow the GPI during the season as it mirrors the SRS well.  I posted prior to Poly that we were 42, that's just too low.  Our SOS was poor, mostly out of our control based on our Big Sky Schedule and the unbalanced schedule.

Next years conference schedule looks worse so I think we will need 8 wins.

The criteria is the SRS ranking or follow the GPI during the season as it mirrors the SRS well.  I posted prior to Poly that we were 42, that's just too low.  Our SOS was poor, mostly out of our control based on our Big Sky Schedule and the unbalanced schedule.

I know it was an excuse that was used but it most definitely doesn't explain how New Hampshire got in when both their SRS and SOS were below UND's. 

SRS - 36 vs. 40

SOS - 38 vs. 65

• Upvote 2

Explain New Hampshire's selection to the group please. 

I know it was an excuse that was used but it most definitely doesn't explain how New Hampshire got in when both their SRS and SOS were below UND's. 

If they'd taken Towson over UNH I'd totally get it. Don't have to completely agree with it, but at least understand it. Why isn't this question being asked? 

Yeah, we got jobbed.  Even some realistic Fargo U fans came here and admitted it. 

But, a 7-4 team doesn't exactly scream of a championship prepared squad.  It would have been intetesting to see how we'd stack up in playoffs though. 

On the bright side, there is a bright side.   We have a bitchin' nice IPF, a growing active fan base, a good bunch of players now, good recruits coming in, and a good coaching staff. 

Plus, we have a nickname and can focus on the future.  Yep...gotta wear shades...:cool:

• Upvote 2

The inconsistency is this:

I feel like once before have they ever taken a 6 D1 win team - SHSU 2010 (11? 12? don't remember), but they have ignored a 7 win team w/FBS win. One unlikely situation, combined with an unprecedented situation make this a little fishy.

What's more, this year would've been great to develop some name recognition, now next year, they'll find a way to keep out an 8 win North Dakota team.

With 8 wins, were in ahead of other BS teams.  What the committee did isn't really all that shocking as these comittees are often times political with some members favoring certain conferences etc but there is often debatable issues letting one team in over another like the massy or sagarin ratings that many level headed people won't see the same way.  Those on the committee get to decide though and I doubt the NCAA brass had a talk with them concerning UND.  My thoughts.

Yeah, we got jobbed.  Even some realistic Fargo U fans came here and admitted it. 

But, a 7-4 team doesn't exactly scream of a championship prepared squad.  It would have been intetesting to see how we'd stack up in playoffs though. 

On the bright side, there is a bright side.   We have a bitchin' nice IPF, a growing active fan base, a good bunch of players now, good recruits coming in, and a good coaching staff. 

Plus, we have a nickname and can focus on the future.  Yep...gotta wear shades...:cool:

Yep you got hosed. Remember the NCAA isnt concerned about getting the best teams in the playoffs. They are only interested in putting on a tournament for the least amount of money.

• Upvote 2

The fact that he said they actually do take into account injuries, to me makes it even more puzzling.  We only had 1 loss when our starting QB played the whole game, and if you look at how well we were playing when he came back since he said they look at EVERYTHING, he said we'd be surprised at everything they look at, it makes less sense.  However I don't know if EIU had a key injury.  We had several injuries, like most do, but we had significant drop off when our backup QB was in.  I would still like them to answer the question as to what EIU's quality win is, as that is supposedly part of what they look at.

the more Illinois teams in,  the likelihood of more bus trips.  That may be their quality win 

I also think the justified the OT loss to Illinois state and considered it as a Win for them. I think this is a reason that ISU was ranked #2, i can see a argument to put ISU there, but I also believe the NDSU was a better #2 and was ranked higher most of the year I think. But you put EIU OT loss to #2 over UND loss to #3. They also gave them points for loss to Jacksonville State. 

Western Illinois probably should not have made it, yet they blew Eastern out. EIU scored 8 points COMBINED in 3 of their losses.

Just thinking how many things could've went UND's way that didn't: ISU field goal in OT vs Montana; Ranked SDSU losing in 2OT to WIU; Citradel winning BCS game; UND Blowing 2 4th quarter leads; among many others. Overall FCS was odd this year, no one expected Portland State to be 8-2, beating 2 FBS schools IMO, quite a few under dogs pulling off wins in games they had no right to be in if you looked how they played all years, ex: USD over NDSU.

It also bothers me that he would come on a North Dakota radio station to talk about this and be so utterly unprepared with his answers. Just giving generic "we look at wins and losses and they didn't have the votes" answer is completely unacceptable. Say und didn't get in because their SRS wasn't as high. 

It makes them seem so incompetent coming on and having zero answers. 

I would love to see a flow chart that follows all of the logic being given out by committee members - it would show the inconsistencies of what they are saying they used for their criteria and the chart would eventually end at UND. 

I think it's pretty clear that the committee doesn't put any thought in quality of win or wins, if they had, UND would be in over E Illinois. This goes back to he old saying " doesn't matter what you know but who you know".  Well UND didn't know the right people, E illinois did.  The chair for the committee is from the OVC and so is E Illinois.  He wanted two teams to be represented in th playoffs and he got it.  If UND was the last team left out and E Illinois was the last team in, its then apples to apples with the two teams comparisons.  Well when comparing the two teams, it's quite obvious they took quality of losses as the reason for them to be playoff bound!?  Losses????  Quality losses made you move on ????  It's how you lose that determines a teams destiny????  After listening to him ( committee chair) yesterday dance around the questions, I have no doubt that his political tongue was able to sway the committee.  And yes I'm still mad, mad as hell!!!  UND deserved this and were left out.  We've waited almost 10 years for a postseason experience and were denied because?........ Well E Illinois knows how to lose better the UND????

• Upvote 2

He better know why they decided to select who they selected. It's a committee not a awards vote or coaches poll. The point is that criteria is laid out and there is a discussion to determine how to best follow the criteria. If they can't explain why they did what they did either the committee failed or the criteria failed. Either way he has to answer for it.

Look at the ncaa basketball tournament, after the selection there are some pretty hard and fast answers to why a team got in or didn't. I think they do an excellent job of being transparent and open about the selection and the reason for their selections. Fcs football needs to get to that level. 

When Wilson first appeared on the selection show, I thought to myself "cementhead" - then he opened his mouth and it was confirmed.