SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

The more they talk the less sense it makes. The the only tenuous logic that could possibly be followed is the Idaho state loss was so inexcusable and that is what left us out. It seems to be equal with number of wins and schedule strength as a factor, which is baffling. 

Q. Do you take into account factors such as teams having their starting quarterback injured?

A. Yes, we do. People would be amazed -- or scared -- if they knew how much info we knew. We try to put the best 24 teams in… or the best 14 teams after the AQs (automatic qualifiers) are in the field.

Something scares me about the committee but I know it's not how much info they have. 

They know that this will all blow over in a week and that they can just make the schools that got shafted look like cry babies. It will be business as usual for the National Corrupt Athletic Association until the next time around and they do it again. But I guarantee UND was the whipping boy and it will be a long time, if ever, that a 6-5 team gets in over a 7-4 team. They know they can pull this stuff on the small schools and get away with it. 

I would love to see a flow chart that follows all of the logic being given out by committee members - it would show the inconsistencies of what they are saying they used for their criteria and the chart would eventually end at UND. 

The flow chart would look like a 2 year scribbling and at the end would have screw UND we will tale Eastern Illinois.

So what are the chances that we get a bowl game against the gophers? If the NCAA wants to make money on a garbage bowl game they should pick UND. You would think this game would be very highly attended. Only thing is the gophers are 5-6.......

UND will not be playing in a bowl game.

• Upvote 1

a man can dream right? Better question is when are we going to schedule an FBS game against them? When there was talk to drop the sioux logo people were saying we need to so Minnesota and Wisconsin will schedule us in football. Nothing but lies.....

Big Ten teams are not scheduling FCS teams anymore.  Announced it last year.  All games currently on Big Ten schedules will be honored.  So NDSU will play Iowa next year and that may be the last one.  

Big 10 schools were not going to schedule UND in any sport as long as we still had the Sioux name.  Obviously the Big 10 changed their policy for not playing any FCS schools, but we still play Big 10 teams in other sports.  This was 1 of many factors for reasons to drop the name.

a man can dream right? Better question is when are we going to schedule an FBS game against them? When there was talk to drop the sioux logo people were saying we need to so Minnesota and Wisconsin will schedule us in football. Nothing but lies.....

It wasn't just football, it was all sports.  We have hockey games against Minnesota on the schedule because we dropped the Sioux name.  We've played Minnesota and Wisconsin in basketball because we dropped the Sioux name.  Had we dropped the name earlier, we could've had football games against B1G teams.  Right or not, "holier than thou" teams were using it as a reason not to schedule us.

I think it's pretty clear that the committee doesn't put any thought in quality of win or wins, if they had, UND would be in over E Illinois. This goes back to he old saying " doesn't matter what you know but who you know".  Well UND didn't know the right people, E illinois did.  The chair for the committee is from the OVC and so is E Illinois.  He wanted two teams to be represented in th playoffs and he got it.  If UND was the last team left out and E Illinois was the last team in, its then apples to apples with the two teams comparisons.  Well when comparing the two teams, it's quite obvious they took quality of losses as the reason for them to be playoff bound!?  Losses????  Quality losses made you move on ????  It's how you lose that determines a teams destiny????  After listening to him ( committee chair) yesterday dance around the questions, I have no doubt that his political tongue was able to sway the committee.  And yes I'm still mad, mad as hell!!!  UND deserved this and were left out.  We've waited almost 10 years for a postseason experience and were denied because?........ Well E Illinois knows how to lose better the UND????

I am really bothered by the snub. But I will take it a step further...beyond "who you, know," its also about who knows you.  If the people with position power don't know you or take the time to get to know your program in the case of UND, its easier for them to crap on you without feeling bad about it. I'm sure (I hope) someone in the room asked the question, "What about UND....?" But it seems like, no one in the room cared enough to say, objectively, You know, UND has put together a nice resume, and they deserve a shot and actually argued the point. Having an ISU rep on the committee probably is what sunk us because he was  probably like, we (ISU) sucked all year so what do I care if UND gets in. There was a built in "hater" in the house

• Upvote 2

So what are the chances that we get a bowl game against the gophers? If the NCAA wants to make money on a garbage bowl game they should pick UND. You would think this game would be very highly attended. Only thing is the gophers are 5-6.......

Zero, you're not bowl eligible.

and EIU did? Or UNH?  That is the issue, UND's "opponents" in this match didn't do anything more than they did on paper so why did they get in?  Nobody can give an answer, including the chairman.

You're not due (and are probably not going to get) any answer, other than "we thought that WIU, EIU.... were better, more representative teams than UND."

You're not due (and are probably not going to get) any answer, other than "we thought that WIU, EIU.... were better, more representative teams than UND."

Unfortunately that ship sailed when the Committee Chair gave answers. The problem is now that the reasons given are contradictory and nonsensical.

UND will not be playing in a bowl game.

Zero, you're not bowl eligible.

While I agree, a bowl game absolutely will not happen. The NCAA has shown many times over, that they can do whatever the hell they want. So if they chose to select and FCS team to play in a Bowl game, they could do so. Unfortunately, I don't think they would ever consider doing so.

As a pipe dream, it is really fun to consider, and depending on who we play, I think our boys could put on a good show (especially with a little chip on their shoulder). Even if we went and lost, it would be a great experience for the players. Again, this won't happen, but if it were going to, UND would have to be in the discussion given that they just missed the playoffs (still shaking my head).

Unfortunately that ship sailed when the Committee Chair gave answers. The problem is now that the reasons given are contradictory and nonsensical.

"They did not have the votes at the end of the day."

No other explanation is needed, or even really possible, You are expecting one person to tell you why a committee collectively voted the way it did. He can't do that. All he can do is tell you what tools they use and what they discuss. He can't tell you what was in each member's mind.

Again, there is no formula.

Edited by Gothmog

We could of won 9 games this year and we still wouldn't  of gotten in.  They would of found a reason. 

Really? I don't see any motivation for that. In fact, quite the opposite, one would think that a playoff match up between UND and. SDSU, NDSU, or Montana,. would have drawn well and made everyone a little more money.

After listening to the hot air from the committee chair it would of been nice  if he could of actually justified why we didn't get in.     He gave a lot of different reasons  in general why teams did or didn't get in, but he never ever connected the dots as to why we didn't get in and at least 3 or 4 other teams  got in ahead of  us  when they shouldn't of.      What a rambling message he sent.   He just simply could not connect the dots.  If he actually would of compared  any of those  teams  against UND it just wouldn't of added up.

• Upvote 1

Either you haven't read (multiple GF Herald articles) or listened (KFAN's interview) to what has been put out their by the Committee Chair or you're being intentionally dense. He did give an explanation. Using his explanation doesn't make sense when you look at some of the selections. That is the problem. Oh and there is a formula, a couple of them they say the rely on. The problem is one thing is said and another is done.

He is better off saying a collection of what everyone is pretty much thinking, who cares if its true or not, at least it would be more acceptable then the reasons he has been giving: "We had some tough decisions but ultimately it came down to UNH getting in because their AD is on the committee, EIU got selected because the chair of the committee is an OVC school and wanted a second school and WIU, because well, we thought it would be a concession on how we are going to regionalize the hell out of this bracket and the MVFC is going to be furious. Nevermind Sam Houston's SOS, they did well a few years ago. Sorry about that Towson, UNH's AD threw you under the bus for his own team. Oh and UND, you had poor representation because no one cares what Idaho State's AD says and really, we thought you were going to lose to Cal Poly so we had already moved on before your game started."

No, I don't read the Herald. Did he really say those things?

Edited by Gothmog