SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

That is what Tom Miller and Wayne Nelson are reporting, but they may be a bit slanted in their reporting, as it is the Herald after all. I hope the Herald hired someone to clean up all of tears on the floor of Wayne's office. I haven't seen this much crying from a reporter since PA after the VIkings Conf Championship game against the Saints a few years ago.

I've heard Kolpack and Izzo on the radio multiple times this week crying about the MVFC teams being on the same side of the bracket.  Kolpack thinks it's a conspiracy by the NCAA.   

That is what Tom Miller and Wayne Nelson are reporting, but they may be a bit slanted in their reporting, as it is the Herald after all. I hope the Herald hired someone to clean up all of tears on the floor of Wayne's office. I haven't seen this much crying from a reporter since PA after the VIkings Conf Championship game against the Saints a few years ago.

Are you seriously accusing them of changing Mark Wilson's quotes?

And clearly you haven't listened to a word that Calilou and Izzo have said or written over the past half decade. No slight is too small.

• Upvote 2

I guess we need to keep in mind the old adage we all learned as kids...

"It's not whether you win or lose; it's the quality of your losses."

Based on the new precedent set by the "committee,"  Bubba should schedule Alabama, Ohio State, and Florida State every year. Get big checks  to build phase 2 and 3 of the HPC, get some new uniforms and get some quality losses in the process to give us a better shot at the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

Bowl talk...It would be nice if the FCS had a bowl system. They have ice cream bowls and I lost my dog bowls for FBS schools that win six games, why not have FCS bowls? There are a ton of companies that are raking in some serious cheese that could use a tax break for being the sponsor, while giving the chance for schools like UND to play one more game against a team from another conference. Stipulations: play another conference outside of your own, best 2 of 3 coin flip to decide the home site, and the game is played the Thanksgiving weekend. Who cares what the bowl is called because its all about the competition and a chance to say I played in a bowl game. Am I crazy for thinking this?

I think you are on to something here... They should create a subdivision of teams that would rather compete in bowl games at the end of the regular season vs. a national playoff tournament.

I think you are on to something here... They should create a subdivision of teams that would rather compete in bowl games at the end of the regular season vs. a national playoff tournament.

Cripes, it took us literally decades to get rid of that horse*bleep* "bowl system" in FBS, and now you guys are trying to install it in FCS? ???

The playoff system needs a better selection process and a set of consistent criteria, but it is still way better than any of this boneheaded bowl BS. :angry:

• Upvote 4

Cripes, it took us literally decades to get rid of that horse*bleep* "bowl system" in FBS, and now you guys are trying to install it in FCS? ???

The playoff system needs a better selection process and a set of consistent criteria, but it is still way better than any of this boneheaded bowl BS. :angry:

Obviously we don't have the power to install anything. However, it would be nice to have some type of post season bowl system, without the politics and bull*^% that we saw and still see in the FBS.  I think the players would enjoy to traveling to Florida to play Jacksonville State this time of year at the NFL Jaguars stadium as would some northeast team traveling to Scottsdale to play NAU at Cardinals home stadium in Arizona to end the year.  The FBS has a "playoff system" to crown the BCS national champions but there are FBS schools that don't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever playing for the national title but there are still bowl games for them to participate in like the New Mexico Bowl, Armed Forces Bowl, and many others.

Bowl talk...It would be nice if the FCS had a bowl system. They have ice cream bowls and I lost my dog bowls for FBS schools that win six games, why not have FCS bowls? There are a ton of companies that are raking in some serious cheese that could use a tax break for being the sponsor, while giving the chance for schools like UND to play one more game against a team from another conference. Stipulations: play another conference outside of your own, best 2 of 3 coin flip to decide the home site, and the game is played the Thanksgiving weekend. Who cares what the bowl is called because its all about the competition and a chance to say I played in a bowl game. Am I crazy for thinking this?

it's called FBS. That's what you are advocating for. I dig it man.

He is better off saying a collection of what everyone is pretty much thinking, who cares if its true or not, at least it would be more acceptable then the reasons he has been giving: "We had some tough decisions but ultimately it came down to UNH getting in because their AD is on the committee, EIU got selected because the chair of the committee is an OVC school and wanted a second school and WIU, because well, we thought it would be a concession because of how we are going to regionalize the hell out of this bracket and the MVFC is going to be furious. Nevermind Sam Houston's SOS, they did well a few years ago, they are still living off that. Sorry about that Towson, UNH's AD threw you under the bus for his own team. Oh and UND, you had poor representation because no one cares what Idaho State's AD says and really, we thought you were going to lose to Cal Poly so we had already moved on before your game started."

FWIW, if they put in UND over WIU, UND is paired with SDSU and routed through Fargo. EIU/UNI now goes through Illinois State, and Dayton flies to Montana and the winner (Montana) heads to PSU.

From a regionalization standpoint, this would create more bus trips/possible bus trips then they ended up with.

Obviously we don't have the power to install anything. However, it would be nice to have some type of post season bowl system, without the politics and bull*^% that we saw and still see in the FBS.  I think the players would enjoy to traveling to Florida to play Jacksonville State this time of year at the NFL Jaguars stadium as would some northeast team traveling to Scottsdale to play NAU at Cardinals home stadium in Arizona to end the year.  The FBS has a "playoff system" to crown the BCS national champions but there are FBS schools that don't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever playing for the national title but there are still bowl games for them to participate in like the New Mexico Bowl, Armed Forces Bowl, and many others.

If you are talking about having bowl games for the teams that don't make the 24 team field, then I could get on board with this. And the FBS field of 4 will be expanded to 8 in the next five years. There will be too much controversy over teams getting left out that are just as good as the team being included. And there is way too much $$$$$ that can be made with an extra round of games.

If you are talking about having bowl games for the teams that don't make the 24 team field, then I could get on board with this. And the FBS field of 4 will be expanded to 8 in the next five years. There will be too much controversy over teams getting left out that are just as good as the team being included. And there is way too much $$$$$ that can be made with an extra round of games.

I don't see the FCS getting rid of the current playoff system. But as a fan and casual supporter (I am not a donor or booster) of UND football, I am just saying it would be nice to see some type of system at the FCS level to extend the season and allow for the bowl game experience. I am sure the players, coaches and the families would enjoy it as would those that would benefit financially. Hotels, restaurants, etc. It wont' be a perfect system  because even then, some deserving teams will be left out. But, I think some of those teams that felt snubbed by the playoff committee would like a chance to play in a bowl game. It could also be another recruiting tool by adding bowl wins to a school's resume. 

• Upvote 1

There are 43 teams in the FCS who have a higher Sagarin rating than Wyoming. There are also only 7 FBS teams rated lower than Wyoming. Keep calling it a quality win all you want, but it wasn't. Wyoming is garbage and would not be a playoff team in the FCS. If you open your eyes and see it how it really is, UND had 1quality win in PSU. They were absolutely blown out by the two other playoff teams they faced, Montana and NDSU, and were beat by two other weak teams. Nothing about that screams playoff team to me. 

The FCS playoffs have become too watered down when we have to debate whether a mediocre UND team was playoff worthy. They weren't, and neither was WIU and EIU.  The playoffs should maybe be 16 teams max.

• Downvote 16

There are 43 teams in the FCS who have a higher Sagarin rating than Wyoming. There are also only 7 FBS teams rated lower than Wyoming. Keep calling it a quality win all you want, but it wasn't. Wyoming is garbage and would not be a playoff team in the FCS. If you open your eyes and see it how it really is, UND had 1quality win in PSU. They were absolutely blown out by the two other playoff teams they faced, Montana and NDSU, and were beat by two other weak teams. Nothing about that screams playoff team to me. 

The FCS playoffs have become too watered down when we have to debate whether a mediocre UND team was playoff worthy. They weren't, and neither was WIU and EIU.  The playoffs should maybe be 16 teams max.

Thanks for sharing.  Later.

One item the Committee says they use is the SRS scoring system.  In this system UND outscored both EIU and WIU +3.35 to +1.35.  If they had put UND in over either team using this scoring system, neither ot the other teams would have had much of an argument.  Plus UND beat the #6 team in the playoffs and beat an FBS team, which would give UND reason to be in.  EIU had no Quality wins and got smoked by WIU.

I can't believe the whole 2011 class continues to be this clueless. In order to get to below 20 teams, the auto bids would have to be removed and there is zero chance of that happening. The NCAA requires at minimum, an equivalent amount of at large bids as there are auto bids.

• Upvote 2

That's some funny stuff!! The last time I checked a fbs win is a fbs win, regardless of how bad they are.  Right?  By your account, ndsu shouldn't count the Kansas win(3-9) last place big 12, both minnesota wins( 1-11/ 3-9) last in big 10, and Iowa st (2-10) last in big12 as quality wins?  You have a Kansas st win as your only decent fbs win!  That's it!    Those 4 teams combined a 9-39 record!?  And you lost to wyoming in "08". Oops! 

You say the fcs has become to watered down.  Are you then discrediting your championships?