SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

If NDSU really does  "get screwed" out a playoff spot, I certainly won't be on here saying otherwise. The point is, at 7-4, UND can't really say that they got screwed. You didn't win enough games.

Clearly we won more games than WIU so technically we won enough games.  What are the criteria used by the committee?

It's also easy to dismiss what someone else says is as hindsight. The reality is that you should have known, and you should still recognize, that it was not a done deal for UND at 7-4.  

Should have known what??  The reality is that there has never been a team that had 7 D-1 wins with one of them being over an FBS team that didn't make the playoff field. 

• Upvote 2

Of course UND would want another shot at NDSU. Would UND win...not any more likely than USD beating them. UND and NDSU are both different teams than they were in September. No Wentz and leaning on their ground game more for NDSU is something that would play into UND's strength. In September, NDSU beat us through the air as other than 1 35 yard Frazier run UND held NDSU to under 2 yards a carry on the ground and that was with a UND offense that put our defense on the field every 4 plays. I still think our offense would struggle against the Bison defense but not to the point of absolute incompetence like in September.

I would see it as a 24-13 game that NDSU never feels like they are in danger of losing but at the same time are unable to put UND away

The game snowballed pretty quickly with bad field position and no ability to sustain any offense. 

Should have known what??  The reality is that there has never been a team that had 7 D-1 wins with one of them being over an FBS team that didn't make the playoff field. 

So? There is no formula that guarantees anyone a bid. 7-4 and a win over 1-win FBS guarantees you nothing. Four losses is too many for you to feel any sense of entitlement.

• Downvote 2

So? There is no formula that guarantees anyone a bid. 7-4 and a win over 1-win FBS guarantees you nothing. Four losses is too many for you to feel any sense of entitlement. 

But 5 is fine.

No one is saying UND is entitled to anything, they are saying that the comparables show that UND has a very legitimate case for why they should have been selected. You have yet to provide any actual analysis that shows why UND shouldn't have been in, you just keep parroting a bunch of nonsensical blather that has no substance.

• Upvote 2

The Idaho State loss was a killer, no question.  I thought the road win at Poly with style points would get UND through.  

To add insult to injury.  At the ISU home game, I was watching from the north end looking down at the DB nudging Santiago before the ball arrived from Bartles. Clearly a PI but to no avail.  It would have given us four more shots to win the game.   Refs miss calls. Should not have put it their hands. Coulda, woulda, shoulda... I know... but to be one quarter away from a playoff berth is just maddening. Oh well, fuel for next year.

• Upvote 3

But a 40+ point loss to a 5 win FBS opponent is a good loss.  

Going by quotes from the committee, 4 losses wasn't too many.  We just didn't have as many quality losses as other teams.  

• Upvote 1

You guys.....it is pointless to argue with Gothmog, he is enjoying needling us here.  Don't think had seen him on this site much the last three weeks of the season, but he sure seems to be following the thread closely today.  Just stop replying directly to his comments, trust me you'll never get a point across to him that he will accept.  

• Upvote 1

But 5 is fine.

No one is saying UND is entitled to anything, they are saying that the comparables show that UND has a very legitimate case for why they should have been selected. You have yet to provide any actual analysis that shows why UND shouldn't have been in, you just keep parroting a bunch of nonsensical blather that has no substance.

Bump. Well said.

Goth- I never said UND was entitled to anything. People are mad at the inconsistency the committee has shown. Then the guy goes on the radio and says they would consider a 5 win team. That is crap and you know it.

Bump. Well said.

Goth- I never said UND was entitled to anything. People are mad at the inconsistency the committee has shown. Then the guy goes on the radio and says they would consider a 5 win team. That is crap and you know it.

And I never said that a case couldn't made for UND. Nevertheless, I don't see the inconsistency. You gotta prove it on the field ... UND didn't quite do that.

And I never said that a case couldn't made for UND. Nevertheless, I don't see the inconsistency. You gotta prove it on the field ... UND didn't quite do that.

and EIU did? Or UNH?  That is the issue, UND's "opponents" in this match didn't do anything more than they did on paper so why did they get in?  Nobody can give an answer, including the chairman.

Edited by UND1983
  • Upvote 1

Did UND get hosed by not getting a playoff spot.....yes.

Could UND avoided the subjectivity during the selection process by not blowing a 2 TD lead at home vs ISU.....yes.

Time to move on.....better days are ahead for this program.

• Upvote 4

It also bothers me that he would come on a North Dakota radio station to talk about this and be so utterly unprepared with his answers. Just giving generic "we look at wins and losses and they didn't have the votes" answer is completely unacceptable. Say und didn't get in because their SRS wasn't as high. 

It makes them seem so incompetent coming on and having zero answers. 

Yah but he's not going to come on and say they screwed up - he drank the kool-aid he has to justify their decisions. 

I could argue that if 6 wins is good enough, then Eastern Washington and Weber State both have as strong of a case as Eastern or Western Illinois. All of the losses for both of those teams were to FBS teams, playoff teams, and 7 win FCS teams.  Weber played NDSU a heck of a lot tougher than Western Illinois did.  If 6 wins is the new benchmark, then I'd say UND isn't the only Big Sky school that has a gripe.

• Upvote 2

Yah but he's not going to come on and say they screwed up - he drank the kool-aid he has to justify their decisions. 

Still, they have to have some rationale for it. No matter how diluted or twisted the reasoning is they should be prepared to answer why one was chosen over the other, giving generic non-answers just makes them seem more out of touch than ever. 

I didn't follow the Big Sky close enough to judge the quality of what would be a good win and what would be a bad loss, but am guessing the narrow win over Drake probably hurt your chances more than any of your losses.

Oh I see.....another fly in the soup....

The ol' "unimpressive low quality win" doomed us ALONG with our FBS win and "low quality loss"....

Makes sense.

Edited by UNDvince97-01
  • Upvote 3

I didn't follow the Big Sky close enough to judge the quality of what would be a good win and what would be a bad loss, but am guessing the narrow win over Drake probably hurt your chances more than any of your losses.

Drake was only 1 win away from being playoff eligible or was maybe already playoff eligible(hard to keep track).... and had a quality loss to Jacksonville and beat tournament bound and previously unbeaten Dayton.:wink:

Edited by petey23