SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

email from UND guy

UND guy: 7 wins, FBS, win over portland state (seeded), why are we not in?

Mark: we look at wins and losses of teams won and lost against, multiple 7 win teams were considered and left out... yadda yadda yadda They did not have the votes at the end of the day.

Dan: why EIU over UND? seems like thats whats bothering UND fans

Mark: UND had a couple of great wins, but had a couple of bad losses. EIU didn't have any bad losses. we do have one tool in toolbox, SRS, if i recall WIU and EIU were tracking ahead of UND. We really look at quality wins, losses, and SOS.

This is wrong. UND had only ONE bad loss (Idaho State). The other three loses all came to winning teams, including two FCS playoff teams (NDSU and Montana). 

Jack finally brings up the Big question on what quality wins East Illinois had and then never asked for an answer.  Very disappointing.  A very vanilla interview.  Jack really let him off the hook.  The whole thing really stinks.

^^^^^^^ This.  They should have let Pinto do the interview.  He wasn't scared to ask any question.  Or keep it open to the phone lines like you said you were going to do.  I had called in to ask the same question Westside had e-mailed and oddly enough they only took two phone calls from Bison fans.  

This is wrong. UND had only ONE bad loss (Idaho State). The other three loses all came to winning teams, including two FCS playoff teams (NDSU and Montana). 

True. Last years loss to Weber was bad. While this one hurt bad and didn't sit well, it was to a team over .500

Here's the thing, aren't quality wins and bad losses inherently built into the SRS?  The more I think about it, set the threshold at 7, go down the list, open it up to the top 6 W teams if necessary, and call it a day.    

Committee chairman couldn't even answer what is a quality win and what is a quality loss so they should start by clearly defining those for the committee.      

• Upvote 1

In fairness to Jack,  I would guess the only way  the  guy came on to do the interview was  with the understanding Jack wasn't going to get down and dirty.   Jack should of laid  out the comparison of the  schedules of UND and Eastern Illinois more clearly so the guy would of had a harder time defended their decision.  I am sure he would have just thrown some  vague reasons to support their decision.    It would of just been  BS.   He definitely got off easy.

The fact that fcs uses srs just shows how clueless they are. Using such a basic model in the fcs where many different levels of opponents are played and to try and use it to look back and analyze a season means they just do not understand it. I know it shouldn't surprise me they don't understand the metrics they use for these decisions but it does. 

• Upvote 1

In fairness to Jack,  I would guess the only way  the  guy came on to do the interview was  with the understanding Jack wasn't going to get down and dirty.   Jack should of laid  out the comparison of the  schedules of UND and Eastern Illinois more clearly so the guy would of had a harder time defended their decision.  I am sure he would have just thrown some  vague reasons to support their decision.    It would of just been  BS.   He definitely got off easy.

7 wins each, EIU>UND in the SRS, no head-to-head, no common opponents, case closed. 

Here's the thing, aren't quality wins and bad losses inherently built into the SRS?  The more I think about it, set the threshold at 7, go down the list, open it up to the top 6 W teams if necessary, and call it a day.    

Kind of. Srs really takes two things into account. How many points you win or lose by and how many points your opponents win or lose by. It's not a good tool to retroactively look back and analyze a season with. And the only thing that matters is how much you win by. 

You can look at that schedule and make a decent case. 

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2197/eastern-illinois-panthers

They keep saying we had 2 bad losses.  We did have 2 heartbreaking losses.  A bad loss was Idaho State.  Weber State was 6and 5.   Weber State was a tough loss.  Their is a difference between a  bad loss and a tough loss.  No wonder this committee is being questioned.  The committee chair  was all over the board with  inconsistencies.

They keep saying we had 2 bad losses.  We did have 2 heartbreaking losses.  A bad loss was Idaho State.  Weber State was 6and 5.   Weber State was a tough loss.  Their is a difference between a  bad loss and a tough loss.  No wonder this committee is being questioned.  The committee chair  was all over the board with  inconsistencies.

59-7 in Fargo wasn't a bad loss I guess?  Not according to Wilson.  WIU didn't have any bad losses. Yeah, this one bothers me as well.  

• Upvote 1

It also bothers me that he would come on a North Dakota radio station to talk about this and be so utterly unprepared with his answers. Just giving generic "we look at wins and losses and they didn't have the votes" answer is completely unacceptable. Say und didn't get in because their SRS wasn't as high. 

It makes them seem so incompetent coming on and having zero answers. 

It also bothers me that he would come on a North Dakota radio station to talk about this and be so utterly unprepared with his answers. Just giving generic "we look at wins and losses and they didn't have the votes" answer is completely unacceptable. Say und didn't get in because their SRS wasn't as high. 

He can't.  UNH got in at #40.  

He couldn't say that because its higher than New Hampshires.  

He specifically say SOS because ours is likely tougher than EIU.

He can't specifically say anything about quality wins because we have more than EIU.

He can't specifically say anything about D1 wins because we have more than WIU.

But, we did not apparently have the quality losses other teams had.  That has been specifically mentioned since Sunday.

We all know we shouldn't have blown those leads but that isn't what we are talking about.  We are talking about the end result of our schedule and why the corrupt committee didn't do their job at the end of the season.  Even though we lost those leads we should of been in.  Hands down..

• Upvote 3