SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

email from UND guy

UND guy: 7 wins, FBS, win over portland state (seeded), why are we not in?

Mark: we look at wins and losses of teams won and lost against, multiple 7 win teams were considered and left out... yadda yadda yadda They did not have the votes at the end of the day.

Dan: why EIU over UND? seems like thats whats bothering UND fans

Mark: UND had a couple of great wins, but had a couple of bad losses. EIU didn't have any bad losses. we do have one tool in toolbox, SRS, if i recall WIU and EIU were tracking ahead of UND. We really look at quality wins, losses, and SOS.

Jack: what is the weighting of quality wins v quality losses?

Mark: blah blah blah. we take into consideration, we look at those things. The 2-3-4 teams that don't get selected, they are always passionate. if it was UNH, SHSU, (some other team i forgot) they would have those same arguments

Jack: [brings up baseball stats and hall of fame, how there are big stat markers that bring you into HOF conversation. Compares those to 7 win criteria, FBS criteria, quality wins]

Mark: we do have those criteria. W-L is important, but less than 6 [SIX] D1 wins puts you in jeopardy. if there is a really good 5 [FIVE, I REPEAT FIVE] win team, we will look at that <---i didn't catch clearly what he said here at the end, whether or not they would look at the five win team or not, definitely he was making the point that the rule was 6 and not 7, even though 7 is the norm.

Edited by ClassB

Terry (caller): couple questions. 1. you do have authority to place teams wherever you want, if this is national tournament, why are we having regionalization? NCAA only makes a couple billion dollars a year, can we not afford to make it an actual national tournament? it feels like NCAA d2, i thought moving up was going to be a true national tournament. [talks about SDSU and montana and how often they play, wanting to play east coast team] [seems like he had one question]

Mark: NCAA talks about revenue, that the NCAA is the institutions. and that the majority of money comes back to institutions. yadda yadda yadda, my duty as chair is to follow the policy that is set forth, if there is a game within 400 miles, that team will be on a bus.

westside, not going to have time for your question probably.

dan: couple questions, RPI, is that in question? Auto qualifying, you didn't take that into as much consideration in past (PSU-SUU, NDSU-ISUR, RICHMOND-JMU (i think))

Mark: We don't use RPI, we do use SRS. We do talk about auto qualifiers, but then we look at total SOS and total victories, so its not automatic that an AQ will be seeded higher.

Jack: Mark you should be on this end, BTW. we just don't have enough time to hit all these questions

whoops. theres westsides questions

Jack: name one quality win for EIU, (something about a back judge and bubba?) we have enough emails here for ya Mark

Mark: no thanks, i've had enough emails over the past few days (laughs)

Well, that was clear as mud, huh???

That conversation was littered with so much political correctness that there was nothing close to a true answer.

Quite frankly, the NCAA FCS playoff selection committee just screwed up.

UND has one bad loss to Idaho State; however, they had an FBS win and a road win against a seeded FCS team. Eastern Illinois had no wins against playoff teams and certainly no FBS wins. Western Illinois won only 6 games and lost handily to NDSU. UND didn't fare well against NDSU either (34-9), but they played far better than Western Illinois did (59-7!)

• Upvote 1

Jack: [brings up baseball stats and hall of fame, how there are big stat markers that bring you into HOF conversation. Compares those to 7 win criteria, FBS criteria, quality wins]

Mark: we do have those criteria. W-L is important, but less than 6 [SIX] D1 wins puts you in jeopardy. if there is a really good 5 [FIVE, I REPEAT FIVE] win team, we will look at that <---i didn't catch clearly what he said here at the end, whether or not they would look at the five win team or not, definitely he was making the point that the rule was 6 and not 7, even though 7 is the norm.

clarified some things here at the end