SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

The more research that is done on this topic, the more the performance of this committee just reeks of favoritism,  lack of accuracy in gathering information, and quite possibly a chance to stick it to UND because of previous hatred that had built up over previous dealings with UND.  Very sad.  They definitely had their own agenda.

• Upvote 1

No, I don't read the Herald. Did he really say those things?

Jack Michaels was even making fun of his answers today on his radio show saying the guy talked in circles and wouldn't answer the questions Jack or Pinto was asking.  Stated he asked 3 separate times why EIU or WIU and he wouldn't answer or gave three different answers.  Laughed at the thought that a team that got beat by 52 can be thought of as a playoff team.  I find it funnier that is the coach of the year in the MVFC.  

It's pretty simple actually.

When they were comparing UND to WIU they used criteria that they felt favored WIU....nevermind that using that same criteria would put UND ahead of EIU, SHSU, and UNH.

When they were comparing UND to EIU they used criteria that they felt favored EIU....nevermind that using that same criteria would put UND ahead of WIU, SHSU, and UNH.

When they were comparing UND to SHSU they used criteria that they felt favored SHSU....nevermind that using that same criteria would put UND ahead of WIU, EIU, and UNH.

When they were comparing UND to UNH.....umm, nevermind they never really even tried to explain that one.

Neither Michaels nor Schlossman asked.  Disappointing.  

Honestly would it have mattered? I was all jazzed for some answers initially but now I'm apathetic to what they have to say. It's gonna be some bull butter about quality losses and body and work. 

Not really.  Just would have been easier to put Wilson in more of a box, with not one objective data point to turn to.  At the end of the day they can point to the Idaho State loss, which arguably was the worst loss of any team under consideration.  

Not really.  Just would have been easier to put Wilson in more of a box, with not one objective data point to turn to.  At the end of the day they can point to the Idaho State loss, which arguably was the worst loss of any team under consideration.  

but was't that game lost, due to the QB injury that they supposedly take into consideration?

He had a good out with that one. Then he said that they look at injuries (among other things) and took them into account. Not saying it excuses, but it definitely puts it into a whole different light.

It wasn't very  good investigative  journalism by the  two.  If you were going to go after the story,  go  for it.    They should of  pressed for  exact comparisons between UND and the other schools individually and not as a group.  It would of been fun to watch him  talk even more in circles.  He would of been squirming a little.,  It was a disappointing probe by the journalists.  They  let  him off the hook.

He had a good out with that one. Then he said that they look at injuries (among other things) and took them into account.

Yeah, they have "scary amounts of data".  Maybe enough data to consider an objective system, like hockey does?  I would've grilled the guy.  

• Upvote 1

It's pretty simple actually.

When they were comparing UND to WIU they used criteria that they felt favored WIU....nevermind that using that same criteria would put UND ahead of EIU, SHSU, and UNH.

When they were comparing UND to EIU they used criteria that they felt favored EIU....nevermind that using that same criteria would put UND ahead of WIU, SHSU, and UNH.

When they were comparing UND to SHSU they used criteria that they felt favored SHSU....nevermind that using that same criteria would put UND ahead of WIU, EIU, and UNH.

When they were comparing UND to UNH.....umm, nevermind they never really even tried to explain that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdbohJlhTeo

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 1

Bowl talk...It would be nice if the FCS had a bowl system. They have ice cream bowls and I lost my dog bowls for FBS schools that win six games, why not have FCS bowls? There are a ton of companies that are raking in some serious cheese that could use a tax break for being the sponsor, while giving the chance for schools like UND to play one more game against a team from another conference. Stipulations: play another conference outside of your own, best 2 of 3 coin flip to decide the home site, and the game is played the Thanksgiving weekend. Who cares what the bowl is called because its all about the competition and a chance to say I played in a bowl game. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Bowl talk...It would be nice if the FCS had a bowl system. They have ice cream bowls and I lost my dog bowls for FBS schools that win six games, why not have FCS bowls? There are a ton of companies that are raking in some serious cheese that could use a tax break for being the sponsor, while giving the chance for schools like UND to play one more game against a team from another conference. Stipulations: play another conference outside of your own, best 2 of 3 coin flip to decide the home site, and the game is played the Thanksgiving weekend. Who cares what the bowl is called because its all about the competition and a chance to say I played in a bowl game. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Not crazy, but I would personally rather see a setup where you could play a lower level FBS team, even if it was always a road game. Heck, even if we played a 4 or 5 win FBS team, the competition would likely be better than the Wyoming game.

This could help for development and recruiting. Won't happen, but it would be cool to see. As you mentioned, you could play out of conference teams, and with this setup you could play teams that you really never get a chance to see.

I'd rather see UND have a chance (given that they missed the playoffs) to play a team like Purdue (2-9), Kansas St (4-6), South Carolina (3-8), etc. The problem is, I'm not sure that some of those school would ever be interested in a FBS/FCS bowl game to end their season. But I do like the concept.

No, I don't read the Herald. Did he really say those things?

That is what Tom Miller and Wayne Nelson are reporting, but they may be a bit slanted in their reporting, as it is the Herald after all. I hope the Herald hired someone to clean up all of tears on the floor of Wayne's office. I haven't seen this much crying from a reporter since PA after the VIkings Conf Championship game against the Saints a few years ago.

• Downvote 4

That is what Tom Miller and Wayne Nelson are reporting, but they may be a bit slanted in their reporting, as it is the Herald after all. I hope the Herald hired someone to clean up all of tears on the floor of Wayne's office. I haven't seen this much crying from a reporter since PA after the VIkings Conf Championship game against the Saints a few years ago.

You and I both know that if this happened to almighty, untouchable NDSU, Bisonville would have crashed and melted down Sunday morning. So please get off your high horse and stop acting holier-than-thou about this.

• Upvote 3

Not crazy, but I would personally rather see a setup where you could play a lower level FBS team, even if it was always a road game. Heck, even if we played a 4 or 5 win FBS team, the competition would likely be better than the Wyoming game.

This could help for development and recruiting. Won't happen, but it would be cool to see. As you mentioned, you could play out of conference teams, and with this setup you could play teams that you really never get a chance to see.

I'd rather see UND have a chance (given that they missed the playoffs) to play a team like Purdue (2-9), Kansas St (4-6), South Carolina (3-8), etc. The problem is, I'm not sure that some of those school would ever be interested in a FBS/FCS bowl game to end their season. But I do like the concept.

I like the idea of playing mid major FBS or lower tier FBS. This way, the FCS can scrap the already dysfunctional and overly subjective playoff system. Now, many schools would complain about being left out of a bowl, similar to FBS, but bowl committees could select the top 32 schools to play in a post-season bowl, provided they win the pre-requisite number of games of course. I agree it won't happen but it would be good to see. :cool:

I like the idea of playing mid major FBS or lower tier FBS. This way, the FCS can scrap the already dysfunctional and overly subjective playoff system. Now, many schools would complain about being left out of a bowl, similar to FBS, but bowl committees could select the top 32 schools to play in a post-season bowl, provided they win the pre-requisite number of games of course. I agree it won't happen but it would be good to see. :cool:

So we can have the national champion "voted on"? I don't think so.