SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

A lot of P5 teams seem to be on the cusp of six wins, but they normally don't relish the thought of playing in a low level bowl reserved for Sun Belt, CUSA, or MAC teams.  The NCAA would have to allow 5-7 teams, which is quite likely, or FCS teams that have six or more victories, which is more remote.  If a P5 team is matched up with an FCS team, could see a lot of declined bids.

UND vs Minnesota would be cool.

As far as "cost us sending the band and cheer team", what would a home FCS playoff guarantee cost UND by comparison? 

Disclaimer: The odds of this happening are very, very, very small.

However, I'd love to see the FBS short a few teams and be stuck in a position of looking at putting a 5-7 Nebraska or a 5-7 Texas in a bowl. <-- Welcome to a "everyone gets a participant trophy" world. 

As far as "cost us sending the band and cheer team", what would a home FCS playoff guarantee cost UND by comparison? 

Disclaimer: The odds of this happening are very, very, very small.

However, I'd love to see the FBS short a few teams and be stuck in a position of looking at putting a 5-7 Nebraska or a 5-7 Texas in a bowl. <-- Welcome to a "everyone gets a participant trophy" world. 

Most bowls require teams to purchase an allotment of tickets with the school having to pay regardless if they sell them.  Tickets start at $50, so there are not cheap.  It's probably more expensive as travel isn't covered by the NCAA like in FCS playoffs.  The bowls pay a minimum of $500k, as much of that is from tv and advertising.

Edited by SiouxVolley

Is it literally even possible for FCS teams to go to the bowls? Wouldn't the NCAA just pull from the pool of previously ineligible teams?

Likely.  BUT if an FCS team offered a good $ package, a low level bowl could bite.  Bowls are non profits that have charities.  If a school has a good story and fan base, it could be part of the tv story.  It can work in select cases.  

Danny Freund tweeted about bowls this morning.  Faison must be talking.

I ddon't see P5 schoops accepting some of the low level bowl bids.  The bowls will go down a list until someone accepts.

The Aloha Bowl cou,d be another that has a hard time filling.  Charter flights to Hawaii are expensive.

Edited by SiouxVolley

A lot of P5 teams seem to be on the cusp of six wins, but they normally don't relish the thought of playing in a low level bowl reserved for Sun Belt, CUSA, or MAC teams.  The NCAA would have to allow 5-7 teams, which is quite likely, or FCS teams that have six or more victories, which is more remote.  If a P5 team is matched up with an FCS team, could see a lot of declined bids.

UND vs Minnesota would be cool.

There is talk in the cities that if Minnesota becomes bowl eligible and receives an invite, they may turn it down.

I think that would be interesting, and could be a trend setting event.  

Personally, I love watching bowl games, but there are just too many of them.  If teams start turning down invites the growth of bowl games could be reversed.

If a bowl doesn't fulfill it's contractual commitments with TV, it will be broke and dropped from the bowl ranks.  It's a high stakes game that needs more teams.  The P5 schools that end up 5-7 don't want the low ends bowls, so I can see Minnesota or Texas turning them down.  An up and coming team on the other hand will want a bowl.  This could be a way that Faison puts a stamp on the program that other regional FCS teams can't match.

No idea if the NCAA would allow it.  My guess is UND would have to contact the NCAA and make the case.  Anyway there are 71 Teams for 80 spots so far.

Here are the 16 games this week that could add to that.  1st team listed is the team trying to become bowl eligible with their spread. ha ha

-3.5 Virginia Tech @ Virginia

-6.5 Tulsa @ Tulane

+1 East Carolina vs Cincinnati

-20 K State (4 wins) @ Kansas and then they play vs West Virginia

-1.5 Texas (4 wins) vs Texas Tech and then play @ Baylor

+1.5 Nebraska vs Iowa

-7 Indiana @ Purdue

+2.5 Minnesota vs Wisconsin

+3.5 Illinois vs Northwestern

+4 Old Dominion vs Fl Atlantic

-6.5 Buffalo vs Mass

+7.5 San Jose St vs Boise State

+20 South Alabama @ Georgia Southern

no line Washington vs Washington State

+14 Missouri @ Arkansas

+4 Kentucky vs Louisville

So it looks like only 6 teams are favored to win this week and 2 of those will probably lose the following week.  Its very possible only 75 or 76 qualify.  What that means, who knows!  I am sure the NCAA will figure it out and make great decisions.

I believe that the criteria was always been 6.  But, no one had made the playoffs with less than 7 wins up until 2013 when SHSU got into the playoffs with 6 win against FCS counters.  But, they played two games against transitional schools.  The selection committee looked past the previous precedence

of 7 wins only and surprised everyone giving them a bid.  SHSU seems to slide bye with a lot of questionable records.  Here are the links (note I think this is the only time up to WIU this year.):

Paragraph from the last game of the season.

Central Arkansas ended Sam Houston’s hopes for a third consecutive FCS playoff berth with a 49-31 defeat at Estes Stadium in Conway.

With the result, last year’s Southland co-champions end this season tied for third in the league race with identical 4-3 conference records. Sam Houston finishes 8-4 for the season while UCA upped its overall record to 7-5.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=209322626

Kats thankful for playoff opportunity

Hosting Southern Utah on Saturday in the opening round is something that could have just as easily not happened for the Kats, after losing three Southland Conference games, which included back-to-back losses against Southeastern Louisiana and Central Arkansas to end the season.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=209324857

Idaho received an at-large in a 16 team field with a 6-4 record in 1995.  I believe that team and the aforementioned SHSU are the only teams to make the playoffs with 6 DI wins.  You're right, though, the criteria has always been 6.  I don't know why everybody thinks 7 wins was a hard and fast rule.

There is talk in the cities that if Minnesota becomes bowl eligible and receives an invite, they may turn it down.

I think that would be interesting, and could be a trend setting event.  

Personally, I love watching bowl games, but there are just too many of them.  If teams start turning down invites the growth of bowl games could be reversed.

I highly doubt Claeys will turn down an extra month of practices.   

Link to the interview with Patty V..  Besides sounding uninformed using a lot of "I thinks" she definitely makes an effort to walk the line.  Towards the end is when she answers the question about WIU getting in without hesitation.  Also says WIU was the 3rd to last team in.  She also mentions strength of schedule as a reason WIU got in but that can't be the case for EIU.  As the days go on I just get more angry about the shaft the NCAA gave us and wish someone in Grand Forks media would get the Tennessee Tech AD (head of the committee) and the Idaho St. AD (Big Sky representative) on the radio and ask the question.  

http://www.wday.com/radio/3889088-970-wday-demand-mvfc-commissioner-patty-viverito-wday-6-sports-director-dom-izzo-mike

I didn't say UND was competitive in the game because it was a terrible game for UND but NDSU still didn't hang 59 points on us. 

Of course UND would want another shot at NDSU. Would UND win...not any more likely than USD beating them. UND and NDSU are both different teams than they were in September. No Wentz and leaning on their ground game more for NDSU is something that would play into UND's strength. In September, NDSU beat us through the air as other than 1 35 yard Frazier run UND held NDSU to under 2 yards a carry on the ground and that was with a UND offense that put our defense on the field every 4 plays. I still think our offense would struggle against the Bison defense but not to the point of absolute incompetence like in September.

I would see it as a 24-13 game that NDSU never feels like they are in danger of losing but at the same time are unable to put UND away

• Upvote 1

Facts:  We were out before the 9 pm EST  kickoff in San Luis Obispo.  It was already decided by the committee.  Our game didn't even matter.  They didn't want to wait up til midnight to debate it.  Get the bracket done and go to bed.

Ironic thing is they really only had to wait until 10:30 pm EST to figure it out.

The Idaho State AD fought his ass of for us but could not change the committee's minds:  "UND is playing the best football in our league right now."

Big Sky office is red-hot.  Can't believe we haven't heard from Fullerton on this yet. 

If that's the case, what a bunch of BS.  All the committee would've needed to do is have two brackets done and choose the one based on the outcome of UND's game. 

Edited by dmksioux

Is it literally even possible for FCS teams to go to the bowls? Wouldn't the NCAA just pull from the pool of previously ineligible teams?

No. To be bowl eligible, only one FCS win can be counted. No FCS team could possibly be bowl-eligible without playing (and beating) at least 5 FBS teams in a given year. 

Hopefully Jack is ready to ask some tough questions about UND also and not just focus on the Missouri Valley schools being on the same side of the bracket.  

We've gotten pretty fair outrage from the fargo sportswriters, I would expect similar feelings from Jack.