SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

so said the last 100 schools to switch from na nicknames to hawks, eagles, sparrow, finches, robins, canaries, or pileated woodpeckers.  gimme a break.. nodaks would be our own but its still boring and unmarketable.

University of North Dakota Roughriders. say it. vote it.

Says the guy who apparently wants Wilford Brimley for our mascot.....yeah, that's fresh

• Upvote 2

I've given Kelley the benefit of the doubt up until this decision. 

No more. 

Blow this up and start over without his oversight.  

Time for a reboot.

Finally, some people are starting to figure it out. I said this when they announced the finalists.....not even blow it up, but rewind and reboot.

Instant runoff promoted in today's Herald seems like a good way to go to allow the winner to get 50%. All voters vote 1st and 2nd choice, 3rd place vote getter is eliminated, 2nd choice votes (for those whose 1st choice was eliminated) are added to totals, winner has 50% if the vote, and no third vote is needed.

Edited by sprig
  • Upvote 1

Exactly what I wrote to Dr. Kelley on Sunday night.  What are we teaching our students if we feel it is no problem to change the rules after the fact. (in this case after the vote).

Won't someone please think of the children! 

Edited by Sodacker

I suggested something similar yesterday, but the more I think about it, the more I think people might vote the name they perceive as the biggest threat to their choice last, whether that is how they actually feel or not. 

It's wwhat they should have done when there were 5 selections. Give people the chance to vote for their top two choices and use that to narrow it down to a two name runoff. 

Instant runoff promoted in today's Herald seems like a good way to go to allow the winner to get 50%. All voters vote 1st and 2nd choice, 3rd place vote getter is eliminated, 2nd choice votes (for those whose 1st choice was eliminated) are added to totals, winner has 50% if the vote, and no third vote is needed.

Yeah, this is how it should be done.

Let's just rotate nicknames weekly.  Given the number of different football, basketball, and hockey jerseys teams wear these day, this shouldn't be a problem.

"TOUCHDOWN ROUGHRIDERS!"

"Pssst...we're the Nodaks this week, remember?"

"HEEEEEERE'S YOUR UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA NO-DA, er, uh, FIGHTING HAWK SCOOOO-RING!"

Participation trophies for everyone!  We're ALL winners!

No matter what name is your favorite we DO NOT want to end this very long and drawn out process with a vote that doesn't have at least 50% support.  They need to have a meeting this week  to get it right before the final vote next week.     This is imperative.    My suggestion is if no name has 50% next week  they need to do one more final  vote with the top 2 vote getters   to get a consensus.  You do not want to end this in controversy.  Hopefully common sense will prevail this week.    

• Upvote 2

I really did like when the Vermont play by play crew used Nodaks this past weekend. I though it sounded pretty darn good. I know that was hockey, but I think it could be used just as well for football, basketball, etc. 

I could cope with Roughriders too, and I think there would be some pretty cool logo options there.

Please please please no fighting hawks. Sure there could be some decent logo options, but we're basically just blending in with every other boring bird/hawk/eagle school out there.

• Upvote 1

No matter what name is your favorite we DO NOT want to end this very long and drawn out process with a vote that doesn't have at least 50% support.  They need to have a meeting this week  to get it right before the final vote next week.     This is imperative.    My suggestion is if no name has 50% next week  they need to do one more final  vote with the top 2 vote getters   to get a consensus.  You do not want to end this in controversy.  Hopefully common sense will prevail this week.    

Per your last sentence it doesn't sound like that is something that is in vast supply within the walls of Twamley Hall.....................

I unfortunately have resigned myself to get ready for the new nickname to be FH due to the manipulation and underhandedness by those in charge of this process. 

• Upvote 2

Completely agree. Initially, I thought "whatever, lets just vote and wrap this up" but as I though about it more that just doesn't make sense, as having two more vote could drastically change the outcome.

Fighting Hawks are in the lead now and may be in the lead after this next vote, but if we have two more votes then I don't see it winning.

I see Fighting Hawks being the top choice of the remaining three. But if the vote goes to Fighting Hawks/Roughriders or Fighting Hawks/Nodaks, then I see either Roughriders or Nodaks winning. Eliminating 1 of these final three options opens up alot of room for movement in a final runoff vote.

I agree 1000%... but the comments made in the Herald today make me think that this will be it.  While I stand by my statement of living with any name, I don't want it to come about with any controversy.

It.. Stinks. 

• Upvote 1

i still dont get why an outgoing president is in charge of this

Putting an incoming president in charge of this dumpster fire wouldn't improve the process.  On top of it, he's now in charge and the one everyone can point the finger at., because there is going to be an unhappy group regardless of outcome. Not a good way to start off your presidency. This was Kelley's job to finish from the day he was hired.  Despite not agreeing with every decision made, I am willing to give him credit for at sticking around long enough to try to resolve it instead of passing the it on, especially since it has taken a few years longer than anyone imagined.

Sounds like a good way to handle it, but that means that it won't be done.  When given a chance to wrap this up in one vote and bring about a little more fair play in the final outcome, you would think they would jump at it.  The fact is that Kelley just doesn't seem to care about the consequences behind his off the wall decisions.  It is apparent that he is content to leave his legacy as a nickname that doesn't have a consensus legitimacy. 

Putting an incoming president in charge of this dumpster fire wouldn't improve the process.  On top of it, he's now in charge and the one everyone can point the finger at., because there is going to be an unhappy group regardless of outcome. Not a good way to start off your presidency. This was Kelley's job to finish from the day he was hired.  Despite not agreeing with every decision made, I am willing to give him credit for at sticking around long enough to try to resolve it instead of passing the it on, especially since it has taken a few years longer than anyone imagined.

The waffling on "just North Dakota" and the sudden course change on the runoff has depleted any ounce of credibility this guy had.  This will linger on, a la Marquette University.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/sports/ncaabasketball/at-marquette-hawks-dont-fly-and-gold-doesnt-glitter.html

someone accountable for his actions might actually follow the agreed upon process.

The waffling on "just North Dakota" and the sudden course change on the runoff has depleted any ounce of credibility this guy had.  This will linger on, a la Marquette University.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/sports/ncaabasketball/at-marquette-hawks-dont-fly-and-gold-doesnt-glitter.html

He made the right decision on the first one, though he should have never reconsidered.  I understand (but don't agree) with trying to be all inclusive this time around, but you need to set it up so that there is a majority winner.

Trying to make everyone happy (or feel included) is just causing more anger and giving people plenty of ammo to question a process they didn't agree with to begin with.

• Upvote 2

so said the last 100 schools to switch from na nicknames to hawks, eagles, sparrow, finches, robins, canaries, or pileated woodpeckers.  gimme a break.. nodaks would be our own but its still boring and unmarketable.

University of North Dakota Roughriders. say it. vote it.

if you read my sentence in its entirety, you would notice I said the logo would be our own.  I was not talking about the name itself; that wasn't the topic of my post.