SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

I guess I fail to see how he's damned if he sticks to the process that was laid out in black and white prior to the vote.  If he wanted wiggle room for a close vote, he didn't have to say the top-2 finalists would go into a runoff.  He could have said the top 2 or 3.  But when you lay out a specific process, you need to stick to that process if you want to maintain any credibility.  

Ya he is obviously over his head and has absolute no foresight. Giving himself these arbitrary and unnecessary rules exist just make him look more foolish. He of course doesn't learn from his mistakes because he is hard headed and incompetent and does it again with this upcoming vote and puts himself in another box saying he will announce a winner, when it is very premature to say that before seeing the results. 

Kelly has mucked this up from the get and obviously doesn't even realize his incompetence. That doesn't mean adding a third vote or third selection is necessarily wrong. 

• Upvote 1

I couldn't disagree with you more.  If he wanted flexibility, then he shouldn't have set forth a specific process.  You can't just change the voting process after the results are in.  Why is this so hard for people to understand?  Sticking to the process would not have added to the problem whatsoever.  NoDak supporters might have been disappointed, but their disappointment would have been limited to their fellow stakeholders for not voting for it more.  Despite all the mistakes and complaints about how they got to the Final 5, if they had stuck to the process, at least people could say the voting process was fair and there would have been some level of legitimacy to the new nickname. All this decision has done is cause further division, more controversy, and eroded any legitimacy that was left.

Having people who don't kknow what they're doing make decisions in advanced and then not fixing problems when they arrive just doubles down the problem, it doesn't help it. Just because it will give some people the warm fuzzy feeling of following an ill conceived plan doesn't make it the right path to take. 

The problem was them putting up unnecessary rules that there was a possibility they couldn't follow. 

Kelley sees Roughriders has the most votes next round without 50%.

Immediately declares another runoff vote between the top two.

The slope is very slippery now. And nobody knows where the bottom will be.

Big Mistake.

The process was simple.  All that needed to be done was follow through with it.  Now, nobody knows if what is said this week will hold true after the next vote!!  This is a gong show. (As if it already wasn't one already)!!

Who does Kelly answer to? 

If he is making these knee-jerk decisions on his own then for the first time ever I'm willing to question UNDs leadership.

If he is making these knee-jerk decisions with input from others then I have to question who the "Others" are and why someone in the room isn't questioning the decisions. (the sad thing is it's probably our highly paid east coast consultants.)

• Upvote 1

Kelley sees Roughriders has the most votes next round without 50%.

Immediately declares another runoff vote between the top two.

The slope is very slippery now. And nobody knows where the bottom will be.

Big Mistake.

That's how it should be whether your favorite name gets it or not. 

Having people who don't kknow what they're doing make decisions in advanced and then not fixing problems when they arrive just doubles down the problem, it doesn't help it. Just because it will give some people the warm fuzzy feeling of following an ill conceived plan doesn't make it the right path to take. 

The problem was them putting up unnecessary rules that there was a possibility they couldn't follow. 

I agree the process of getting to the Final-5 left a lot to be desired.  But the actual voting process that was announced once the Final 5 was determined was exactly right.  Online voting by the proper stakeholders, top-2 in a runoff to ensure the winner had more than 50% of the final vote.  Perfectly sound and logical process.  All they needed to do at this point was follow it.  But they didn't.

• Upvote 3

That's how it should be whether your favorite name gets it or not. 

My point. You can't announce it after the votes are in.

My other point: He will never announce it after the vote, but now people will be wondering if he will, cause he's already shown what he previously said didn't matter.

Born: Mercy Hospital, Devils Lake, ND

Raised in a town of 220 people in North Dakota.

Resided in MN for the last 18 years. Been referred to as a Nodak plenty of times since venturing across the Red River, but never felt as though it was with a negative undertone. Maybe I need to re-evaluate.

Well if you are in Minnesota and tell someone you are from North Dakota, they might say Nodak huh? But if you cut them off in traffic and they see your ND plates it's fu$&ing Nodak.

Kind of like my friends in Bismarck used to do during the Class b basketball tourney when you inevitably met traffic going the wrong way on the one way streets...fu$&ing B-sters......having lived in Hillsboro, Litchville, and Linton before moving to Bismarck I of course didn't comment.:lol:

• Upvote 1

Born: Mercy Hospital, Devils Lake, ND

Raised in a town of 220 people in North Dakota.

Resided in MN for the last 18 years. Been referred to as a Nodak plenty of times since venturing across the Red River, but never felt as though it was with a negative undertone. Maybe I need to re-evaluate.

Isn't it nice to have someone tell you what you should be offended about?   O wait, where have I heard that before.....?

Agreed. The whole point of the runoff was to get a name to 50%. Now that they've abandoned that principle, why not just declare Fighting Hawks the winner, as it had a clear lead over the other two? What's the point of seeing how the Sundogs and Northstars votes get distributed across the remaining three, but not seeing how the Nodaks votes would get distributed across Roughriders and Fighting Hawks.

You really summed this up nicely, Jim.    

I also sent a very nice email to Kelley/Johnson expressing my desire for a finalist needing to be over 50% of the vote.  No answer back yet.

Edited by dagies

Man this quote function is really difficult.  I had a co-worker tell me why she was hoping Fighting Hawks would win.  Reason number one:  This logo.  Reason number two:  Fans could shout Fighting Sioux, when Announcer says Fighting Hawks.  I feel that she is not the only one of that opinion...

d a co-worker tell me why she was hoping Fighting Hawks would win.  Reason number one:  This logo.  Reason number two:  Fans could shout Fighting Sioux, when Announcer says Fighting Hawks.

You just stated the only 2 reasons I could live with FH if it can't be Nodak.

Man this quote function is really difficult.  I had a co-worker tell me why she was hoping Fighting Hawks would win.  Reason number one:  This logo.  Reason number two:  Fans could shout Fighting Sioux, when Announcer says Fighting Hawks.  I feel that she is not the only one of that opinion...

Unfortunately people voted for a logo that will never exist officially. There will be zero resemblance to the Sioux logo. It won't happen.

d a co-worker tell me why she was hoping Fighting Hawks would win.  Reason number one:  This logo.  Reason number two:  Fans could shout Fighting Sioux, when Announcer says Fighting Hawks.

Have also saw this on various social media platforms today. If people truly are hanging their hat on that logo, they are going to be incredibly upset and claim they were sold a false premise even though UND has had zero to do with that logo floating around.