SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

I've always wondered how it was determined that "FIghting Hawks" fit the original criteria that was laid out for the committee and how not one person on the committee ever asked that question. 

I think the simple answer as to why we were left with these finalists, is the committee completely ignored the criteria.  Instead of sitting around in rube-like fashion, eliminating 95% of the names in the first few hours together solely based on their method of needing one or more person to speak up and say they liked a certain name for it to remain, they should've started by eliminating every choice that did not meet the criteria.  Then, they could've had meaningful discussion on the remaining names so everyone understood why those names remained, and their significance to North Dakota and UND.  And then, start whittling down the choices.   But obviously that ship sailed months ago.

Because when you are paying a consultant lots of money, you have to pretend that Fighting Hawks fits the original criteria so the expenditure can be justified.

All these negative references to expensive consultants reinforce the notion that North Dakotans are a bunch of hayseeds.  ' We don't cotton to yer types around here, mister.  You best go on back where ye came from.  And take yer fancy haircuts and collars with ye'.  

Because when you are paying a consultant lots of money, you have to pretend that Fighting Hawks fits the original criteria so the expenditure can be justified.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I've always wondered how it was determined that "FIghting Hawks" fit the original criteria that was laid out for the committee and how not one person on the committee ever asked that question. 

This got my curiosity going, so I'm posting the original criteria just for kicks...

1)Be unique, recognizable,inspiring and distinctly UND
2)Promote a sense of pride,strength, fierceness, andpassion
3)Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions & heritage of the past but also looks to the future
4)Be a unifying & rallying symbol
5)Ease of Depicting/Personifying Physical Mascot
6)Cheer/Battle Cry Considerations
7)Meaning of Nickname
8)Linguistic Considerations: Pronounciation
9)Linguistic Considerations: Likelihood of name being abridged resulting indifferent name or name similar to existing name

• Upvote 1

All these negative references to expensive consultants reinforce the notion that North Dakotans are a bunch of hayseeds.  ' We don't cotton to yer types around here, mister.  You best go on back where ye came from.  And take yer fancy haircuts and collars with ye'.  

Actually, they use consultants just as much, if not more, in the high falootin' big cities, too. It's not just an issue out here in the Sticks. We're just more xenophobic to that kind of influence compared to folks in other places of the country.

It's a fact and I would have been happier to have ZERO consultants; I think we could have managed this better ourselves.

• Upvote 1

whats a fact?  that consultants cost money?  Surely the conclusions on this board about consultants and what they do are conjecture, not fact.  And with all the divisiveness - WE could have handled it better???  

• Downvote 2

They deserve their fair share of blame though. I don't blame them for allowing non North Dakota names, our committee should have snuffed those out early and been our voice there. But they should have given much better guidance on the process. Not foreseeing a possible tie for second place and then allowing Kelley to say this is for sure the last vote are completely on them I believe. 

I think the consultants and some UND Admins are getting exactly what they wanted...an inoffensive, bland, generic nickname.  It was stated early on that the consultants, along with the head of the committee were pushing for a variation of a Hawk.  Lo and behold, it looks like they've done their job just fine...

• Upvote 1

I think the simple answer as to why we were left with these finalists, is the committee completely ignored the criteria.  Instead of sitting around in rube-like fashion, eliminating 95% of the names in the first few hours together solely based on their method of needing one or more person to speak up and say they liked a certain name for it to remain, they should've started by eliminating every choice that did not meet the criteria.  Then, they could've had meaningful discussion on the remaining names so everyone understood why those names remained, and their significance to North Dakota and UND.  And then, start whittling down the choices.   But obviously that ship sailed months ago.

Yah, the narrowing down process really sucked. I still think it's dumb how Nokota didn't make it further...

Didn't the first committee somehow cost more too? I thought I saw that somewhere.

Yah, the narrowing down process really sucked. I still think it's dumb how Nokota didn't make it further...

Didn't the first committee somehow cost more too? I thought I saw that somewhere.

I couldn't agree more and I think Fighting Nokota could have been a viable candidate. 

I couldn't agree more and I think Fighting Nokota could have been a viable candidate. 

The "Nokota is to similar to Nakota" justification was just so lame.  Did they think the NCAA was going to have issues with it?

UND: "We have picked the Fighting Nokota as our new nickname"

NCAA: "Isn't Nokota a native american tribe?"

UND: "Nope.  You are thinking of Nakota.  It's not the same.  Spelled different too.  A Nokota is actually a horse"

NCAA:" Oh, so its a horse and not anything native american?  Ok.  all good.  We approve."

Edited by Siouxperfan7

Dickinson.jpg

About 90% of Fighting Hawks supporters are going to be pretty disappointed when UND's logo is a green version of this, rather than the Native American looking profile going around on social media......

I'm no ornithologist, but that's an eagle.:)

I get your point tho.

Edited by ericpnelson
  • Upvote 2

Hopefully if Fighting Hawks wins it is shortened to just Hawks. Then eventually it can take on a half decent name like Prairie Hawks or something. Fighting Hawks is just a garbage attempt to hold onto "Fighting."

Might be a good thing to have a transitioning, sort of like giving up French fries before going full salad.

Dickinson.jpg

About 90% of Fighting Hawks supporters are going to be pretty disappointed when UND's logo is a green version of this, rather than the Native American looking profile going around on social media......

If social media rumors and speculation are enough to drive the outcome...we are getting what we deserve.  

• Upvote 1

Dickinson.jpg

.....and a nodak logo will automatically be an old timer hick....

funny tho.....once you put that old fashioned looking guy on a Shetland pony, suddenly you have the epitome of badassery!   Bully ridas!

:-)

Actually, they use consultants just as much, if not more, in the high falootin' big cities, too. It's not just an issue out here in the Sticks. We're just more xenophobic to that kind of influence compared to folks in other places of the country.

I wouldn't even call it xenophobic. I'd say that most consultants only know the "coast" mindset and don't know much at all about us out here in "fly over territory". They bring what they know with them and it doesn't align to us. Not xenophobic, just different bases of experience that we work from (that sometimes clash).