SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

I can't believe that someone in Kelley's position doesn't understand the premise for getting down to a two-nickname runoff?  The goal is to get a name that the majority of the people support at this juncture, and that may or may not be achieved, depending on how the votes split.  Fighting Hawks may very well get the 50%, but if they don't you never know how those other votes would split. 

• Upvote 1

I just wrote them a note as well...how about everyone on here send them an email and let them know how you feel?

robert.kelley@UND.edu

peter.johnson@UND.edu

Just sent my respectful, but concerning, email to the emails above.  I encourage ALL to do the same.  Either Nodaks be dropped before the runoff, or threre is a 3rd runoff if neither gets 50% of the vote.

Last time I checked if there is a vote of 2 remaining options of anything the winner will be default have over 50%

Just saying.........

Missed the part where the third option would be eliminated.  Since they added it in on their own this time, I didn't know why anything would change next time.  

I can't believe that someone in Kelley's position doesn't understand the premise for getting down to a two-nickname runoff?  The goal is to get a name that the majority of the people support at this juncture, and that may or may not be achieved, depending on how the votes split.  Fighting Hawks may very well get the 50%, but if they don't you never know how those other votes would split. 

Well, if I can guess what is going to happen based on the politics that Kelley has used in this, just wait for Friday (likely afternoon, but anytime of day will let him escape).  He will say there is a major outcry and he will return to the original plans.  He did this with the "North Dakota" option, as I never did think he was going to add it to the list.  That is unless he really wants "Fighting Hawks", and this gave him the perfect opportunity to virtually guarantee that unless there is a great increase in voters due to this debacle.  I would love this to bump up the voters, which could cause his plans to backfire if he leaves it at three, but do not think the odds are with that option.

I honestly expect a bigger voter turnout for this round.  Knowing from the get-go there was most likely going to be a run-off, I think a lot of people let it slide if they found 2 - 4 of the names acceptable.  Now that thing get real, and a name will be chosen, I expect more votes.  Think of last week as the primary, and next week as the actual election.

Well, if I can guess what is going to happen based on the politics that Kelley has used in this, just wait for Friday (likely afternoon, but anytime of day will let him escape).  He will say there is a major outcry and he will return to the original plans.  

I'd say he's clear to do that until the next "here's your link to vote" email goes out. 

All these changes are confusing me:

First the administration wanted Sundogs because it was the most PC and that is the only way it could have made the final cut
Then UND had already negotiated the rights to North Stars and the fix was in
Now they are pushing for Fighting Hawks because it was the likely choice pushed by the consultants

• Upvote 2

All these changes are confusing me:

First the administration wanted Sundogs because it was the most PC and that is the only way it could have made the final cut
Then UND had already negotiated the rights to North Stars and the fix was in
Now they are pushing for Fighting Hawks because it was the likely choice pushed by the consultants

No the establishment choice is nodaks, that's why they expanded it. 

Anything other than Roughriders is the establishment choice because it's siouxsports.com pick. If they like it it means the University hates it and there is a big conspiracy to get it out. 

• Upvote 2

Anything other than Roughriders is the establishment choice because it's siouxsports.com pick. If they like it it means the University hates it and there is a big conspiracy to get it out. 

If the establishment is housed in the REA, then yes, you are correct.  

Good point on your first line, double conspiracy!

Not sure the Roughriders thing is right though, didn't Nodaks edge it in the final poll?