SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

Have also saw this on various social media platforms today. If people truly are hanging their hat on that logo, they are going to be incredibly upset and claim they were sold a false premise even though UND has had zero to do with that logo floating around.

im sure it will look some generic like this...climate_hawk_logo.jpg

• Upvote 1

I agree with everyone that we do need another run-off vote now should one of these not get at least 50%.  Let's just say it goes FH - 40%, RR - 33%, and Nodaks - 27%.  Yes, Fighting Hawks got the most votes, but it's a nickname that 60% of the people do not want.  So much for being unifying.  Narrow it down to two options, and you can get a true majority vote.

What's the magic number during the next vote?  How much will the leading nickname need to win by to be declared the winner?  126 votes? 250 votes?  1,000 votes?  Or will it be deemed to close to declare a winner and we have another round of voting.  What a shyt show.

Was there a Sioux, Cherokee, Arikara, Hidatsa, Mandan, or any other tribal chief named "Fighting Hawk"?

it may not be as politically correct as people are assuming. 

Perhaps, but there was a Thunderhawk, and that may be the reason that was left off.  At least that would have differentiated us a bit, as we could have been T-Hawks for short.  Don't think we'll be the F-Hawks for short.  

Perhaps, but there was a Thunderhawk, and that may be the reason that was left off.  At least that would have differentiated us a bit, as we could have been T-Hawks for short.  Don't think we'll be the F-Hawks for short.  

I can't stand the generic nature of Fighting Hawks and when jesting about it, I have been calling it F-Hawks for the past few weeks.

I agree with everyone that we do need another run-off vote now should one of these not get at least 50%.  Let's just say it goes FH - 40%, RR - 33%, and Nodaks - 27%.  Yes, Fighting Hawks got the most votes, but it's a nickname that 60% of the people do not want.  So much for being unifying.  Narrow it down to two options, and you can get a true majority vote.

Disclaimer: Not picking on the post I'm quoting, it's just the most recent to say the same thing.

Can we stop with the X% don't want?  Just because it may be their second choice, doesn't mean they don't want it, it just means they like something else (maybe even as slightly as 51-49%) better.  I've said before I dislike Nodak.  Simply will not vote for it.  I'm not fond of RR, but with limited choices left, am considering it.  I may also vote FH.  I guess I probably don't want any of them, but have to pick something...

• Upvote 1

Been off these forums for a long time, so this has already been covered I'm sure. However,

I don't like Fighting Hawks as a name, if it's a bird, but who ever said it was a bird? Couldn't it be a plane or a helicopter?  That would make it much more palatable in my opinion Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk?  I know the RAF had a fighter nicknamed the Hawk, couldn't use that obviously, but I don't know much about the US military aviation history.

• Upvote 2

Fans could shout Fighting Sioux, when Announcer says Fighting Hawks.

What a horrible reason to pick FH. So anytime someone says 'hawks' were suppose to yell Sioux? How long will that good times last? As time passes this impulse to yell 'Sioux' will fade - sorry to say. But that bland, unimaginative name will still remain. Remember, this decision is forever (theoretically) 

Edited by NDinCO
missed some text

What a horrible reason to pick FH. So anytime someone says 'hawks' were suppose to yell Sioux? How long will that good times last? As time passes this impulse to yell 'Sioux' will fade - sorry to say. But that bland, unimaginative name will still remain. Remember, this decision is forever (theoretically) 

to be clear those aren't my words, it was something I quoted from earlier.

Been off these forums for a long time, so this has already been covered I'm sure. However,

I don't like Fighting Hawks as a name, if it's a bird, but who ever said it was a bird? Couldn't it be a plane or a helicopter?  That would make it much more palatable in my opinion Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk?  I know the RAF had a fighter nicknamed the Hawk, couldn't use that obviously, but I don't know much about the US military aviation history.

I was thinking the same thing earlier today! We could make the logo an UAS drone or something. That would be a nice tie-in to the GFAFB.

I recently chatted with someone who is reasonably familiar with Twamley. Their take: 

There's no point in defining a process if you're simply going to ignore it.

Kelley's just doing what he always does: Manipulating the situation in an attempt to get the outcome he desires.

Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention. 

• Upvote 1