SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

After eliminating the unbelievably incredibly horrible option, the Sundogs from the mix and discarding the horrible sounding Nodaks from the list I have went back and forth a few times on the names that would be palatable....like an unsalted cracker, but palatable.

I don't mind Hawks but it would be better as just Hawks or with a different descriptor such as White, Green, Winter, or Prairie rather than Fighting.

Roughriders doesn't do much for me but it isn't a horrible name so I guess that is a positive.

North Stars is our neighbor's State nickname but it is far and away the best name left of this sorry bunch.

I won't go into how bad this whole process was botched again, but at this point I am either going to abstain from voting or vote for North Stars as it is the best name left.  In the long run I don't know that it will matter too much as I don't see the "winner" of this contest having much staying power and will not be a permanent solution and I fully expect UND to have  a different moniker within 10 years.

Edited by petey23

After eliminating the unbelievably incredibly horrible option, the Sundogs from the mix and discarding the horrible sounding Nodaks from the list I have went back and forth a few times on the names that would be palatable....like an unsalted cracker, but palatable.

I don't mind Hawks but it would be better as just Hawks or with a different descriptor such as White, Green, Winter, or Prairie rather than Fighting.

Roughriders doesn't do much for me but it isn't a horrible name so I guess that is a positive.

North Stars is our neighbor's State nickname but it is far and away the best name left of this sorry bunch.

I won't go into how bad this whole process was botched again, but at this point I am either going to abstain from voting or vote for North Stars as it is the best name left.  In the long run I don't know that it will matter too much as I don't see the "winner" of this contest having much staying power and will not be a permanent solution and I fully expect UND to have  a different moniker within 10 years.

What's wrong with Sundogs bra?  You got something against animals?  gays? meteorologists?  I really don't like how you are marginalizing these groups and I'm checking your privilege.  

200_s.gif

• Upvote 2

I don't think the process itself was botched, but I do wonder what the nickname committee was thinking when advancing certain names and not others. 

• Upvote 3

I have not been thrilled with the process or the five options it has boiled down to.  My vote will be for Fighting Hawks.  It is my opinion of the least crappy of the five options.

One thing I ask, no beg, of all of you it to please vote!  I understand not voting as your personal protest to the process and the situation that got us here, but please vote.  The growing chorus in the media for Sundogs frankly scares the bejesus out of me and by choosing not to vote, you make it just that much easier for Sundogs to become the new nickname.  The people that want Sundogs will be voting!  Apathy or protest will only help them out.  It takes two votes to cancel out one vote, your one vote for whatever nickname will take two votes for Sundogs to cancel your vote out.

From the information I have received, voting is open 19-23 Oct.  When the polls close, if one nickname has 50% or more, bang, the issue is settled and that nickname is the winner.  If no choice has over 50% when the polls close on the 23rd, the top two go nearly immediately into a runoff.  Final results will be announced by Halloween.  Either way, sometime between 24 and 31 Oct we will find out the new nickname.

PLEASE VOTE!

• Upvote 3

I updated my info about a month ago and since then I've been spammed about every Alumni event/fundraising opportunity happening in the lower 48 so I know I will probably get info on the vote soon...at least they've confirmed contact:-)

Channel your inner 4th grader to find the problem with NODAKS...a-holes on the bison board have already confirmed this...replace the "A" with an "I" then go back to the old picture a few posts above of the bb players in the Nodak jerseys and their very short, tight basketball shorts....uuugggghhhhh!  That would be MEME heaven for those idiots from lowest-common-denominator U!

Fighting Hawks might be generic right now but at least it gives us a tie to the past and something to work with for the future!  That internet logo that's out there right now won't be it but THAT NAME could be a start to something cool AND original.   That's my vote!

Why?  Because it has the word "fighting" in it? Probably a loose tie at best.  Correct me if I am wrong, but the "Fighting" part of Fighting Sioux  wasn't officially part of the name for very long.  I feel like it was added in the 90's.  I get the want and need to tie the name to the old name, but choosing a generic name like Hawks because it has the word fighting in front of it is a stretch.

• Upvote 4

I updated my info about a month ago and since then I've been spammed about every Alumni event/fundraising opportunity happening in the lower 48 so I know I will probably get info on the vote soon...at least they've confirmed contact:-)

Channel your inner 4th grader to find the problem with NODAKS...a-holes on the bison board have already confirmed this...replace the "A" with an "I" then go back to the old picture a few posts above of the bb players in the Nodak jerseys and their very short, tight basketball shorts....uuugggghhhhh!  That would be MEME heaven for those idiots from lowest-common-denominator U!

Fighting Hawks might be generic right now but at least it gives us a tie to the past and something to work with for the future!  That internet logo that's out there right now won't be it but THAT NAME could be a start to something cool AND original.   That's my vote!

Nodaks has a much stronger tie to the past than Fighting Hawks. And does anyone care what the pasture people think?

• Upvote 1

I have not been thrilled with the process or the five options it has boiled down to.  My vote will be for Fighting Hawks.  It is my opinion of the least crappy of the five options.

One thing I ask, no beg, of all of you it to please vote!  I understand not voting as your personal protest to the process and the situation that got us here, but please vote.  The growing chorus in the media for Sundogs frankly scares the bejesus out of me and by choosing not to vote, you make it just that much easier for Sundogs to become the new nickname.  The people that want Sundogs will be voting!  Apathy or protest will only help them out.  It takes two votes to cancel out one vote, your one vote for whatever nickname will take two votes for Sundogs to cancel your vote out.

From the information I have received, voting is open 19-23 Oct.  When the polls close, if one nickname has 50% or more, bang, the issue is settled and that nickname is the winner.  If no choice has over 50% when the polls close on the 23rd, the top two go nearly immediately into a runoff.  Final results will be announced by Halloween.  Either way, sometime between 24 and 31 Oct we will find out the new nickname.

PLEASE VOTE!

I thought that I saw that if there is a runoff, it is only the students that will vote. Did I dream that?

Nodaks has a much stronger tie to the past than Fighting Hawks. And does anyone care what the pasture people think?

Nodaks was a lame name back in the day and it hasn't gotten any better.

Edited by Blackheart

I just watched a PBS special titled: "Theodore Roosevelt: A Cowboy's Ride to the White House," and how much he really loved North Dakota.

His love of the outdoors, how after his mom and wife died on the same day, he returned to North Dakota to find solitude.

How his speech in Dickinson preludes his presidential speak.

How Teddy Roosevelt wanted UND to be the RoughRiders as just before he died he was asked, how he wanted to be remembered:

"A man of the West, A man of the Dakotas."

• Upvote 2

I thought that I saw that if there is a runoff, it is only the students that will vote. Did I dream that?

Where do these rumors even start: Twitter or Facebook?

I just gained one forsure and possibly two more votes, Fighting Hawks or Nodaks? Decisions decisions...

Quite the push trying to get ND** back in the vote also...

Vote for Nodaks. It'll help cancel out a Fighting Hawks vote and push RoughRiders further ahead.

**North Dakota isn't a nickname.

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 1

Where do these rumors even start: Twitter or Facebook?

Vote for Nodaks. It'll help cancel out a Fighting Hawks vote and push RoughRiders further ahead.

**North Dakota isn't a nickname.

Not so sure that it is one or the other for most of that block of voters, in which case they wouldn't be canceling each other out, only making it more difficult for Rough Riiders to reach 50 percent in the first round of voting.  If they are one or the other, then that wouldn't bode well for Rough Riders in the 2nd round of voting. 

Edited by tnt

I'll likely be voting for Roughriders, but NoDaks is at least under consideration.  

It seems so obvious that the NoDaks option should be "Fighting NoDaks" that if they announced that change, I suspect it would be the new nickname.  It sounds much better, and a lot of people want to maintain Fighting in the name.  I wonder whether there would be flexibility afterward to add Fighting if NoDaks were to win?

• Upvote 1

I just gained one forsure and possibly two more votes, Fighting Hawks or Nodaks? Decisions decisions...

Quite the push trying to get ND back in the vote also...

Are you talking about the Herald article discussing another NDSU grad is sticking his nose into the nickname issue?  It also includes the quote below, so not sure where you are getting the (incorrect) information there is some push to (unsuccessfully) get North Dakota on the ballot.

Kasper said afterward that he simply wanted to get Hagerott on the record about the issue and he knows of no last-ditch efforts to derail the online vote, scheduled to take place Oct. 19-23.

After I got the alumni magazine a week or two ago, I showed my wife the list of names.  She has no connection to ND and has no interest in sports.  I asked her what she thought was the best name on the list.  Her only question:  "what is a Nodak?"

Why are all these NDSU folks (Bismarck's former mayor, now Kasper from Fargo, previously Al Carlson) now suddenly worried about UND's nickname? Where were they in 2005? Where were they when they could do something that mattered?

I'll tell you why they are so "concerned" now. 

NDSU (et al opponents) have greatly enjoyed UND supporters focused on this issue and fighting within our own ranks. UND's detractors want this issue to wallow on, this quagmire to be eternal. 

But now they see this thing coming to a resolution*. They know that the amount of time and energy devoted to this issue by folks who care about UND will drop markedly once the issue is voted and sealed.

And that energy will be refocused back on building an even better UND. 

So, when the vote is done and a new nickname is in place, there will be a slight period of adjustment, but then UND supporters will get back to the primary task at hand: continuing to make UND great and even greater. 

And that scares folks that don't want that. 

*Not all will agree with the outcome, but show me a contentious issue where that happens. 

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 3

The teeth gnashing over Kelley retiring in January and what it has to do with the new nickname continues to be a little bit confusing. A committee was picked to come up with the process.  Another committee was selected to represent stakeholders, use the process that was previously decided upon and sort through the names (with the unfortunate help of consultants).  They narrowed down the list to five names. Stakeholders are voting. The name that gets 50% + 1 of the votes wins (whether it takes one or two votes).  Kelley didn't pick the finalists nor is he picking the new nickname. Kelley isn't the one that removed North Dakota from consideration, the committee tasked to come up with a new nickname (which North Dakota is not) removed it. He did get his hands a little dirty by taking into consideration adding it back, but doing so would have undermined the committee who narrowed the list down. The people who are claiming he is or will be making unilateral decisions are the same ones who actually want him to do just that.

I'm in no way saying that I don't think the process could have been handled better because it is obvious it could, just seems odd that people are stuck on Kelley retiring in January when he isn't the one making the final decisions. If people really think that its a brilliant idea to stick this nickname disaster on a new president, they haven't been paying attention for the last few decades.

• Upvote 1

After I got the alumni magazine a week or two ago, I showed my wife the list of names.  She has no connection to ND and has no interest in sports.  I asked her what she thought was the best name on the list.  Her only question:  "what is a Nodak?"

Nodak is an abbreviation for North Dakota and the choice for those of us that wanted to be just North Dakota.

I just watched a PBS special titled: "Theodore Roosevelt: A Cowboy's Ride to the White House," and how much he really loved North Dakota.

His love of the outdoors, how after his mom and wife died on the same day, he returned to North Dakota to find solitude.

How his speech in Dickinson preludes his presidential speak.

How Teddy Roosevelt wanted UND to be the RoughRiders as just before he died he was asked, how he wanted to be remembered:

"A man of the West, A man of the Dakotas."

Lol lol lol.  Yes, and you forgot the part about as he lay dying, his last words were. "In 2015 when the nickname vote occurs at UND because our country has been overrun by political correctness, be sure to vote for roughriders even though they were a group of men from the desert southwest and had nothing to do with North Dakota."

-and then he breathed his last...

well done Cratter, well done.  Lol