SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

I can't believe NoDaks is gaining any traction. As one writer above noted, try it with other states. NoCars?

If you heard USD was going with SoDaks wouldn't you mock them for eternity?

Fighting Hawks for me, but I suffer "Nickname Fatigue" and just want this done.

But  just say NO to NODAKS.

Plus it's an insurance company's name in North Dakota.

Theres a big difference (at least in my mind) to shortening North Dakota for a companies name, which sounds completely natural.

Nodak Electric Cooperative.

Nodak Mutual Insurance.

To actually calling someone from North Dakota a Nodak. If the term "NoDak" was popular in North Dakota why didn't UND already try and use it for a T shirt or two? NoDak Fighting Sioux?

In todays world, that logo would have to be "polygender." I just cant imagine a decent logo for North Dakota Nodaks.

But I can for....

Roll Riders.

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 1

I can't believe NoDaks is gaining any traction. As one writer above noted, try it with other states. NoCars?

If you heard USD was going with SoDaks wouldn't you mock them for eternity?

Fighting Hawks for me, but I suffer "Nickname Fatigue" and just want this done.

But  just say NO to NODAKS.

Plus it's an insurance company's name in North Dakota.

NO to Nodaks and NO to Sundogs. Any of the other options I could live with.

• Upvote 1

Here is what I am thinking for the fighting nodaks logo.....

take the fighting Irish guy showing his fists

make him less Irish and more Norwegian, dress him in carhart bibs and a flannel shirt, give him some massive muscles and there you have it... Our new logo. Bad ass imoh 

Fighting Hawks would be sweet minus the lame Hawks part. This should not win because of a Blackhawks logo we can't use. The no nickname crowd wants this more than nodaks

north stars? We won't be able to have that famous logo either so no point in picking this.

Sundogs? We all know this sucks.

roughriders. Unique check. Could be offensive check. Represents nd the best check. I would be ok with this choice. 

A Facebook post from one of our student athletes on why we should vote for a new name.  Nails it!!  

Shanks.jpg

sounds like mr shanks needs to quit his whining. He is no more important as an athlete Than a student. He needs to remember who pays his teams bills..... The students. Sounds like he needs to focus on the court and his books and less about what the people on tv say.

• Downvote 5

Starting out reading this thread having no clue what I was leaning towards.

I was anti-NoDaks, then you people got to me and I was NoDak-neutral, now I'm anti-NoDak again.  I didn't mind the "Fighting NoDaks" if for no other reason than to break up that North Dakota NoDaks nonsense. However, it's still not doing it for me. So I'll have to pass on NoDaks.  

North Stars is mind boggling to me......will our friends to the east ever let us live it down if we became the North Stars? No seriously....it'll be like we are oblivious to everything around us...So I'll have to pass on North Stars.

Fighting Hawks is so meh it hurts. I remember reading an article from some guy on some website (Totally blanking what it was) that described how NOT to pick a new nickname, and it was precisely the "(Adjective) (Bird)" name with a bird head for a logo. I fear that's the path we're headed down....but not if I can help it. So I'll have to pass on Fighting Hawks.

Sundogs...............................................So I'll have to pass on Sundogs.

Roughriders is fine with me. No real feelings against it. I'm curious what kind of logo would accompany the name! I also couldn't care less that Theodore Roosevelt was only in North Dakota for like a blink of an eye, at least he was in the state for a time! I don't ever recall seeing Trojan warriors in Los Angeles, USC?! WANNA EXPLAIN THAT ONE????? Anyway, go Riders, Riders on the Storm, all that jazz. So I'll have to vote for Roughriders.

• Upvote 3

nodaks2.jpg

That's NorthDakotaHockey on the right holding the basketball and The Sicatoka standing right behind him.  I guess we know what their vote is.    :cool:

Is that you in the middle, Mafia?  You still got those shorts with the built-in belt and buckle?

It doesn't even have to be attached to Teddy Roosevelt.  Although, it could.  A lot of options.  Even the Wikipedia on Teddy's Roughriders states:

"That term was familiar in 1898, from Buffalo Bill who called his famous western show "Buffalo Bill's Wild West and Congress of Rough Riders of the World.""

North Dakota is a tough environment to live in, the winters and summers are harsh.  It's barren, and tough people, like my great grandfather,  homesteaded in that harsh environment.   I like the toughness that the word "roughrider" conjurs up...

Agree that Rough Riders doesn't have to have a tie into Roosevelt.  Look up the definition of a Rough Rider and the first definition is "a person who can break in or ride unbroken horses."  

As for the "alliteration" test, the University of North Dakota Rough Riders works the best, imo.

And as many have mentioned, there are numerous options to come up with a unique logo...

sounds like mr shanks needs to quit his whining. He is no more important as an athlete Than a student. He needs to remember who pays his teams bills..... The students. Sounds like he needs to focus on the court and his books and less about what the people on tv say.

What is your major malfunction son? This whole fiasco has affected the student-athletes more than it will ever affect any of us. I suppose you think YOUR opinion is more important than this young man's. Guess again.....it is not.

If anyone is whining here, it is YOU. So stick a sock in it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree that Rough Riders doesn't have to have a tie into Roosevelt.  Look up the definition of a Rough Rider and the first definition is "a person who can break in or ride unbroken horses."  

As for the "alliteration" test, the University of North Dakota Rough Riders works the best, imo.

And as many have mentioned, there are numerous options to come up with a unique logo...

this is very true...if we tie RR into Teddy fine...if we don't want to the above definition means it could be a horse, a guy/gal on a horse, buffalo bill, buffalo bill on a horse.....

Edited by SIOUXFAN97

this is very true...if we tie RR into Teddy fine...if we don't want to the above definition means it could be a horse, a guy/gal on a horse, buffalo bill, buffalo bill on a horse.....

I still think somehow Kelley vetoes "Rough Riders" because of the branding nightmare of mens and womens sports a la Volunteers and Lady Volunteers.  At least that'll be the excuse to go with Sundogs...

I still think somehow Kelley vetoes "Rough Riders" because of the branding nightmare of mens and womens sports a la Volunteers and Lady Volunteers.  At least that'll be the excuse to go with Sundogs...

I can picture it now...

2500 newly minted UND Sundogs shirts flying onto the REA ice as the student yell "Fire Kelley" in a nationally televised game*

*If there is one group that overwhelming HATES Sundogs, its the Students... and they still have fresh memories of Tuitiongate and Springfest Cancellation.  I could see something like that happening. Fortunately, I think we won't have to worry about that.

According to UND officials, the results of the vote are supposed to be binding. Kelley will have to come up with one whopper of an excuse to override that after the fact.

RoughRiders and Lady RoughRiders, or just leave it as RR as gender neutral. Isn't there women that could be RoughRiders?

12650270_f520.jpg

"Social justice 1, 2, 3! Woo woo! I wanna be PC! Woo woo! It's just the way to be for me, and you! Woo woo! You're hateful slurs are through! Woo woo! I call woo woo on you! Woo woo! We'll fight until you're PC black and blue! Woo woo! We are language police, fighting bigotry, hurtful words can suck our turds cause it's PC for me! And you, woo woo!" - Robert Kelley & Co.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfNZsCROg50

• Upvote 1

General question: Has anyone received their email about the vote? I updated my information on the website, like they advertised, but I haven't heard anything about logging in to vote or anything.

Should be coming out next week to give people a week to make sure things are working before the voting opens. If/when there is a runoff, the turnaround will be quick on the second vote, within two weeks or so. 

I updated my info about a month ago and since then I've been spammed about every Alumni event/fundraising opportunity happening in the lower 48 so I know I will probably get info on the vote soon...at least they've confirmed contact:-)

Channel your inner 4th grader to find the problem with NODAKS...a-holes on the bison board have already confirmed this...replace the "A" with an "I" then go back to the old picture a few posts above of the bb players in the Nodak jerseys and their very short, tight basketball shorts....uuugggghhhhh!  That would be MEME heaven for those idiots from lowest-common-denominator U!

Fighting Hawks might be generic right now but at least it gives us a tie to the past and something to work with for the future!  That internet logo that's out there right now won't be it but THAT NAME could be a start to something cool AND original.   That's my vote!

Edited by gfNDfan