SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

Lol lol lol.  Yes, and you forgot the part about as he lay dying, his last words were. "In 2015 when the nickname vote occurs at UND because our country has been overrun by political correctness, be sure to vote for roughriders even though they were a group of men from the desert southwest and had nothing to do with North Dakota."

-and then he breathed his last...

well done Cratter, well done.  Lol

Why does Roughriders have to be tied to TR?  

Lol lol lol.  Yes, and you forgot the part about as he lay dying, his last words were. "In 2015 when the nickname vote occurs at UND because our country has been overrun by political correctness, be sure to vote for roughriders even though they were a group of men from the desert southwest and had nothing to do with North Dakota."

Actually death came for him in his sleep because it knew they'd be a fight if he was awake.

I'll likely be voting for Roughriders, but NoDaks is at least under consideration.

It seems so obvious that the NoDaks option should be "Fighting NoDaks" that if they announced that change, I suspect it would be the new nickname.  It sounds much better, and a lot of people want to maintain Fighting in the name.  I wonder whether there would be flexibility afterward to add Fighting if NoDaks were to win?

I don't see why not.  Even if it isn't official, fans could just add it, much like it was added to "Sioux."  Like I mentioned before, Fighting Nodaks seems to be who UND fabs are - we're always fighting with somebody (NCAA, Kelley, Bison fans, amongst ourselves)

http://www.nps.gov/thro/learn/historyculture/theodore-roosevelt-the-rancher.htm

"Largely sneered at upon his arrival in 1883, Roosevelt had grown to prominence, respect, and even admiration in the eyes of local people for his manner and conduct. Roosevelt carried with him an enthusiasm and genuineness that common people connected with, and this rapport was the foundation of Roosevelt’s later political success. His enthusiasm for cowboy life spurred him to form the Rough Riders, the notable cavalry unit that brought Roosevelt national recognition during the Spanish-American War."

Many of the people he met while on the trail in North Dakota and beyond.  There would probably never had been a volunteer group named Rough Riders had not Teddy spent time here and changed himself drastically.  So what connection do you have with Abe Vigoda that you use his likeness as your avatar.  Abe Vigoda hasn't spent any time in the state.  I apologize if that is a photo of yourself.  

Edited by tnt

I don't believe i'm on record supporting Abe Vigoda as the new UND Nickname.   I believe I put that on here during a discussion awhile back about the name North Dakota Nokotas with Abe Vigoda as part of the mascot.  Catchy.    But, if Abe led a bunch of badass cowboys from New Mexico into war in Cuba that i'm unaware of, I guess he would qualify as a nickname choice.

as I've said several times, if everyone is in love with Teddy Roosevelt to the point we would rather honor him than honor something homegrown about our state, then choose a nickname that links teddy to north Dakota.  

to me, the name roughriders screams of the old north Dakota nice attitude.   UND roughriders motto:  "We're too shy/modest to pump up our own heritage, so we stole yours instead.  Bully!"   Or, my second motto choice:  There's an award. 

so there you have it, Casper. 

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I am wrong, but the "Fighting" part of Fighting Sioux  wasn't officially part of the name for very long.  I feel like it was added in the 90's.  

If "Fighting" can be add to Sioux, why couldn't it be added to Nodaks. If Fighting Nodaks were the option, I think it would win. 

• Upvote 1

I guess I have no problem with taking the name Rough Riders when North Dakota is the reason that name is even a part of history. 

that's fine.  You're entitled.   My opinion is the committee blew it, and we're left grasping at straws to make connections between these name choices and our university.

If "Fighting" can be add to Sioux, why couldn't it be added to Nodaks. If Fighting Nodaks were the option, I think it would win. 

It can be added to NoDaks once it is selected and it goes to the marketing firm for logo, imaging, etc.  These names can be adjusted like that.  Yes "Fighting" was added to the Sioux name, but you would get arguments exactly when that happened.  Just like Sioux was used you would see "NoDaks" on jerseys and not the word "Fighting".  One thing some of the "Rida" supporters on here will not mention is how the name would actually work on Jerseys.  It would make it a must to use a logo, like it or not, as Roughrider or Rough Rider (you do not know which you are voting for do you) would be too long to use on a jersey.  If a name was used it would likely be "Rider", or shortened some other way if put on a jersey.

• Upvote 1

It can be added to NoDaks once it is selected and it goes to the marketing firm for logo, imaging, etc.  These names can be adjusted like that.  Yes "Fighting" was added to the Sioux name, but you would get arguments exactly when that happened.  Just like Sioux was used you would see "NoDaks" on jerseys and not the word "Fighting".  One thing some of the "Rida" supporters on here will not mention is how the name would actually work on Jerseys.  It would make it a must to use a logo, like it or not, as Roughrider or Rough Rider (you do not know which you are voting for do you) would be too long to use on a jersey.  If a name was used it would likely be "Rider", or shortened some other way if put on a jersey.

That's a whole lot of conjecture. Don't vote for Roughriders because you don't know what you're voting for but vote for Nodaks because even though no one knows what it is, it can be adjusted?  Seems like you're arguing the same thing just presenting it different ways. And football and basketball teams have had no issues putting "North Dakota" on the front of their jersey's multiple times in the past, seems to me that is about the same length as Roughriders.

• Upvote 2

I attach Teddy to Rough Riders because it's part of the name's appeal to me. I understand some are leaning towards the more ambiguous someone who breaks horses definition.I prefer the military history. 

I believe Roosevelt to have a more deep and meaningful connection to the state than some, notably Siouxphan27. I believe this to be philosophical, as we are discussing things that happened back in 1883 (Teddy's first time, a buffalo hunt,in North Dakota, which happens to coincide with the University's inception). I don't think Roosevelt would have possessed the skills necessary to be a successful commander in Cuba without his time in North Dakota, in fact, I would be highly critical of suggestion otherwise. North Dakota transformed him from a "young dude" to the barrel chested bastion of manliness many associate him with today. I don't think without the skills acquired in the badlands he would have or could have swayed McKinley to allow him to raise the regiment.

In addition to Roosevelt, there are others in the unit who spent time in North Dakota, notably Jesse Langdon. North Dakota was 9 years old as a state in 1898. Of course there wasn't going to be a ton of native North Dakotans in the unit. There weren't many to begin at all (the vast majority we can't use as a nickname). Some of the Roughriders Roosevelt had met ranching or hunting Dakota, while they never had a residence there. Siouxphan is correct in mentioning it was largely Southwesterners, as was McKinley's mandate was something like 2/3rds or 3/4th's of the volunteers were to be from the Southwestern territories.

To wax philosophic for a second here, as well, though I wish there was more representation from North Dakota for nickname purposes, I think there can be positive parallels drawn from the diversity of the group. Look at our recruiting maps (hockey's is somewhat of an exception lately). Look at how many different areas are colored in. The Roughriders had cow punchers and sheriffs from the untamed West; it had aristocratic born Ivy league-rs and athletes; it had Native Americans. It did a lot its fighting with the  10th Cavalry, an African American unit (Buffalo soldiers). It was diverse group coming to together to fight underneath one flag (largely the same as the state of North Dakota's) to push American to the forefront of the global community.  It is a hell of an example for our teams to follow, in my opinion.

The Roughriders weren't around long, no, and Theodore Roosevelt wasn't around very long in North Dakota either. That time spent, however short, had deep, meaningful impacts. A lot of the friends, and student athletes I met at UND, weren't in the state for any longer than their 4/5 years required, but the vast majority of them became better men and women for their time here. The imprint left on them, doesn't fade away, as it didn't for a 28 year old (ish) Roosevelt when he moved back to his original home. Many of the great things he did, are a direct result of abilities learned or honed in North Dakota. That might not be a bad aim for a university there in and of itself.

I would add that for the environmental crowd, that as the article I posted earlier stated, his passion for conservation came from his time and experiences in North Dakota, so many of the things he accomplished in that realm as President might have not come to pass had he not stepped foot in North Dakota.  

Edited by tnt
  • Upvote 1

I attach Teddy to Rough Riders because it's part of the name's appeal to me. I understand some are leaning towards the more ambiguous someone who breaks horses definition.I prefer the military history. 

I believe Roosevelt to have a more deep and meaningful connection to the state than some, notably Siouxphan27. I believe this to be philosophical, as we are discussing things that happened back in 1883 (Teddy's first time, a buffalo hunt,in North Dakota, which happens to coincide with the University's inception). I don't think Roosevelt would have possessed the skills necessary to be a successful commander in Cuba without his time in North Dakota, in fact, I would be highly critical of suggestion otherwise. North Dakota transformed him from a "young dude" to the barrel chested bastion of manliness many associate him with today. I don't think without the skills acquired in the badlands he would have or could have swayed McKinley to allow him to raise the regiment.

In addition to Roosevelt, there are others in the unit who spent time in North Dakota, notably Jesse Langdon. North Dakota was 9 years old as a state in 1898. Of course there wasn't going to be a ton of native North Dakotans in the unit. There weren't many to begin at all (the vast majority we can't use as a nickname). Some of the Roughriders Roosevelt had met ranching or hunting Dakota, while they never had a residence there. Siouxphan is correct in mentioning it was largely Southwesterners, as was McKinley's mandate was something like 2/3rds or 3/4th's of the volunteers were to be from the Southwestern territories.

To wax philosophic for a second here, as well, though I wish there was more representation from North Dakota for nickname purposes, I think there can be positive parallels drawn from the diversity of the group. Look at our recruiting maps (hockey's is somewhat of an exception lately). Look at how many different areas are colored in. The Roughriders had cow punchers and sheriffs from the untamed West; it had aristocratic born Ivy league-rs and athletes; it had Native Americans. It did a lot its fighting with the  10th Cavalry, an African American unit (Buffalo soldiers). It was diverse group coming to together to fight underneath one flag (largely the same as the state of North Dakota's) to push American to the forefront of the global community.  It is a hell of an example for our teams to follow, in my opinion.

The Roughriders weren't around long, no, and Theodore Roosevelt wasn't around very long in North Dakota either. That time spent, however short, had deep, meaningful impacts. A lot of the friends, and student athletes I met at UND, weren't in the state for any longer than their 4/5 years required, but the vast majority of them became better men and women for their time here. The imprint left on them, doesn't fade away, as it didn't for a 28 year old (ish) Roosevelt when he moved back to his original home. Many of the great things he did, are a direct result of abilities learned or honed in North Dakota. That might not be a bad aim for a university there in and of itself.

Very well put.  

Also, not a bad connection that Teddy arrived in North Dakota the year UND's inception.  

That's a whole lot of conjecture. Don't vote for Roughriders because you don't know what you're voting for but vote for Nodaks because even though no one knows what it is, it can be adjusted?  Seems like you're arguing the same thing just presenting it different ways. And football and basketball teams have had no issues putting "North Dakota" on the front of their jersey's multiple times in the past, seems to me that is about the same length as Roughriders.

I love how you "conjecture".  Did I state anywhere in my statement about not voting for Rough Riders or Roughriders.  I did not, but wanted to make clear that "Fighting", or even another adjective (hopefully with some support from a majority) could be added to NoDaks.  It was stated pretty clear in this process that the names could be adjusted in that way if necessary.  As far as on front of jerseys, in some cases North was on top of Dakota (especially in basketball, also in hockey in the 90's), and Rough Riders would not work that way.  It could be scripted across in some jerseys, I will agree, but it has its limitations that way.

Are you talking about the Herald article discussing another NDSU grad is sticking his nose into the nickname issue?  It also includes the quote below, so not sure where you are getting the (incorrect) information there is some push to (unsuccessfully) get North Dakota on the ballot.

Yea I know, you know everything and I dont know anything! Same old BS from you on this issue. If you listened to KNOX today you heard what I was talking about....yesterday. How "incorrect" is that for you? Lmao...I can tell it pisses you off when someone might know more about something than you... And God forbid the name will be something other then what you want.  Of course you will never admit that, so go ahead tell me how I'm wrong or the thing I'm talking about is wrong, and you can lay out all the truth! 

Go Sioux!!

Why are all these NDSU folks (Bismarck's former mayor, now Kasper from Fargo, previously Al Carlson) now suddenly worried about UND's nickname? Where were they in 2005? Where were they when they could do something that mattered?

I'll tell you why they are so "concerned" now. 

NDSU (et al opponents) have greatly enjoyed UND supporters focused on this issue and fighting within our own ranks. UND's detractors want this issue to wallow on, this quagmire to be eternal. 

But now they see this thing coming to a resolution*. They know that the amount of time and energy devoted to this issue by folks who care about UND will drop markedly once the issue is voted and sealed.

And that energy will be refocused back on building an even better UND. 

So, when the vote is done and a new nickname is in place, there will be a slight period of adjustment, but then UND supporters will get back to the primary task at hand: continuing to make UND great and even greater. 

And that scares folks that don't want that. 

*Not all will agree with the outcome, but show me a contentious issue where that happens. 

You have to be half baked to think this is reality? Are you fried?

• Downvote 2

I believe Roosevelt to have a more deep and meaningful connection to the state than some, notably Siouxphan27. I believe this to be philosophical, as we are discussing things that happened back in 1883 (Teddy's first time, a buffalo hunt,in North Dakota, which happens to coincide with the University's inception). I don't think Roosevelt would have possessed the skills necessary to be a successful commander in Cuba without his time in North Dakota, in fact, I would be highly critical of suggestion otherwise. North Dakota transformed him from a "young dude" to the barrel chested bastion of manliness many associate him with today. I don't think without the skills acquired in the badlands he would have or could have swayed McKinley to allow him to raise the regiment.

Well said. I'm fine with the name connected to TR or not. The name resonates in North Dakota much like the name Hoosier resonates in Indiana, Tar Heel resonates in North Carolina, and Sooner resonates in Oklahoma. Only one thing left to make it similar to those states. Make it the nickname of the flagship university of the state.

• Upvote 3

I love how you "conjecture".  Did I state anywhere in my statement about not voting for Rough Riders or Roughriders.  I did not, but wanted to make clear that "Fighting", or even another adjective (hopefully with some support from a majority) could be added to NoDaks.  It was stated pretty clear in this process that the names could be adjusted in that way if necessary.  As far as on front of jerseys, in some cases North was on top of Dakota (especially in basketball, also in hockey in the 90's), and Rough Riders would not work that way.  It could be scripted across in some jerseys, I will agree, but it has its limitations that way.

Welcome to jdub thinking....

You have to be half baked to think this is reality? Are you fried?

It is a fair question to ask; why would a bunch of Imperial Cass County and/or NDSU people care about what UND does or doesn't do with the nickname and logo? I don't put much past NDSU when it comes to trying to harm UND. The little Ag School is worried that we'll resolve this issue and turn our focus back to what it should be: education, research and athletics. Too bad for them they have little or no control over this.

• Upvote 1

Yea I know, you know everything and I dont know anything! Same old BS from you on this issue. If you listened to KNOX today you heard what I was talking about....yesterday. How "incorrect" is that for you? Lmao...I can tell it pisses you off when someone might know more about something than you... And God forbid the name will be something other then what you want.  Of course you will never admit that, so go ahead tell me how I'm wrong or the thing I'm talking about is wrong, and you can lay out all the truth! 

Go Sioux!!

I was asking what you were talking about since you were trying to be so vague about it.  If you were referring to the guy down in Texas, it is no surprise that you didn't want to actually mention it. The guy is so committed to the cause that he's crowdfunding the filing fees (and what looks like to be a nice cut for himself), is hoping to have it filed maybe the last weekday before the vote actually takes place not to mention he has no ground to stand on.  Not sure how that qualifies as "quite the push to get ND back into the vote" but to each their own.

I stated long ago the my preferred nicknames were eliminated from consideration. That didn't change the fact that I remain committed to supporting the University of North Dakota and the student-athletes, not a nickname.

• Upvote 1