SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

Nodaks is a slur. No way that should win. Show of hands, who has referred to themself as a Nodak? That's what I thought. It's a term Woog used to use with his distain of our hockey team.

If it's a slur why is there a lot of businesses with that name? Nodak Rural Electric to name a big one. (It powers the Alerus Center) I only see problems with marketing with Nodaks just like the problems with no nickname and just using the interlocking ND logo you can only use that word and logo in so many ways. Where RR and Fighting Hawks has more marketability.

The Nodaks logo is going to be "awesome"!

I have tried to wrap my brain around this concept...........I got nothing!

Marketing has to have some "logo" or object that ties to the nickname.  I see no way this is accomplished with Nodaks.  

Maybe the outline of the state of ND w an interlocking ND in the middle............................

Marketing has to have some "logo" or object that ties to the nickname.  I see no way this is accomplished with Nodaks.  

Maybe the outline of the state of ND w an interlocking ND in the middle............................

Nodaks is another way to have no nickname. It's no better than what we have now.

• Upvote 3

Which would in essence be no different than being just North Dakota. 

• Upvote 1

Nodak = North Dakota only = no nickname = Fighting Sioux forever = Sioux nickname at all costs = hockey only fans.

Hey I did it!!  6 degrees of illogical thinking!!  :)

Of the names that are left (believe me, there are ones that were eliminated that I liked better), Nodaks is my choice for many reasons, none of which has anything to do with my support of the hockey team (I am a season ticket holder for football and volleyball, attend a few basketball games, and watch every televised hockey game).  I was in support of retiring the name back in 2008-09 timeframe when UND was looking for a conference.  I voted with the 2/3 majority in 2012 to reverse the legislature's state law.  My point is that it's not just the hockey-only crowd that is showing support.

Edited by Dustin
  • Upvote 3

Roughriders

Sundogs

Fighting Hawks

Nodaks

North Stars

Nodaks is just ok on it's own, but when you say "the University of North Dakota Nodaks," that just sounds ridiculous.

Not meant to be a slam, more curiosity, but do you have the same feeling about the Illinois Illini, and the Utah Utes?

Of the names that are left (believe me, there are ones that were eliminated that I liked better), Nodaks is my choice for many reasons, none of which has anything to do with my support of the hockey team (I am a season ticket holder for football and volleyball, attend a few basketball games, and watch every televised hockey game).  I was in support of retiring the name back in 2008-09 timeframe when UND was looking for a conference.  I voted with the 2/3 majority in 2012 to reverse the legislature's state law.  My point is that it's not just the hockey-only crowd that is showing support.

Dont bother explaining, him and his buddies say this about every name gaining ground that isn't RR! 

I'm with you...

Not meant to be a slam, more curiosity, but do you have the same feeling about the Illinois Illini, and the Utah Utes?

Actually, no.  Those don't sound as bad to me.  Maybe because Illinois and Utah are shorter than North Dakota, I don't know.  And on their website, they still refer to themselves as the Fighting Illini which is pretty good.

Dont bother explaining, him and his buddies say this about every name gaining ground that isn't RR! 

I'm with you...

You guys really don't get it when there is a smiley face at the end of a persons post, it typically means that the statment made before it is a joke or should be taken with a hit of sarcasm!!

• Upvote 1

I'm with you...

In all seriousness, it does seem like every week there is an opinion piece, letter to the editor, etc about one of the names gaining steam.  Not sure if the Herald is just trying to make this vote more dramatic and have everyone think that all names have the same level of support and popularity.  Either way, the article gets clicks and the Herald wins!!  I really only see this as a 3 horse race.  Roughriders, Nodaks, and Fighting Hawks.  North Stars and Sundogs won't get into the double digits.  

In all seriousness, it does seem like every week there is an opinion piece, letter to the editor, etc about one of the names gaining steam.  Not sure if the Herald is just trying to make this vote more dramatic and have everyone think that all names have the same level of support and popularity.  Either way, the article gets clicks and the Herald wins!!  I really only see this as a 3 horse race.  Roughriders, Nodaks, and Fighting Hawks.  North Stars and Sundogs won't get into the double digits.  

I think you're underestimating the student vote on North Stars.

Now Oklahoma Sooners, Nebraska Cornhuskers, Ohio State Buckeyes, Iowa Hawkeyes, Kansas Jayhawks, Tennessee Volunteers, North Carolina Tar Heels, Indiana Hoosiers, UMass Minutemen...   need I go on?   Don't have a problem with them.  Not repeating the state names ... or tribal names. (well, Hawkeyes is an exception there, isn't it?)

I am thinking the initial vote will go something like this:

1) Roughriders (35%)

2) Fighting Hawks (30%)

3) North Stars (15%)

4) Nodaks (15%)

5) Sundogs (5%)

In the run-off, I see it going like this:

1) Roughriders (60%)

2) Fighting Hawks (40%)

This isn't based on anything scientific, just a shot in the dark based on what I have seen and heard throughout this entire process.