SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

I attach Teddy to Rough Riders because it's part of the name's appeal to me. I understand some are leaning towards the more ambiguous someone who breaks horses definition.I prefer the military history. 

I believe Roosevelt to have a more deep and meaningful connection to the state than some, notably Siouxphan27. I believe this to be philosophical, as we are discussing things that happened back in 1883 (Teddy's first time, a buffalo hunt,in North Dakota, which happens to coincide with the University's inception). I don't think Roosevelt would have possessed the skills necessary to be a successful commander in Cuba without his time in North Dakota, in fact, I would be highly critical of suggestion otherwise. North Dakota transformed him from a "young dude" to the barrel chested bastion of manliness many associate him with today. I don't think without the skills acquired in the badlands he would have or could have swayed McKinley to allow him to raise the regiment.

In addition to Roosevelt, there are others in the unit who spent time in North Dakota, notably Jesse Langdon. North Dakota was 9 years old as a state in 1898. Of course there wasn't going to be a ton of native North Dakotans in the unit. There weren't many to begin at all (the vast majority we can't use as a nickname). Some of the Roughriders Roosevelt had met ranching or hunting Dakota, while they never had a residence there. Siouxphan is correct in mentioning it was largely Southwesterners, as was McKinley's mandate was something like 2/3rds or 3/4th's of the volunteers were to be from the Southwestern territories.

To wax philosophic for a second here, as well, though I wish there was more representation from North Dakota for nickname purposes, I think there can be positive parallels drawn from the diversity of the group. Look at our recruiting maps (hockey's is somewhat of an exception lately). Look at how many different areas are colored in. The Roughriders had cow punchers and sheriffs from the untamed West; it had aristocratic born Ivy league-rs and athletes; it had Native Americans. It did a lot its fighting with the  10th Cavalry, an African American unit (Buffalo soldiers). It was diverse group coming to together to fight underneath one flag (largely the same as the state of North Dakota's) to push American to the forefront of the global community.  It is a hell of an example for our teams to follow, in my opinion.

The Roughriders weren't around long, no, and Theodore Roosevelt wasn't around very long in North Dakota either. That time spent, however short, had deep, meaningful impacts. A lot of the friends, and student athletes I met at UND, weren't in the state for any longer than their 4/5 years required, but the vast majority of them became better men and women for their time here. The imprint left on them, doesn't fade away, as it didn't for a 28 year old (ish) Roosevelt when he moved back to his original home. Many of the great things he did, are a direct result of abilities learned or honed in North Dakota. That might not be a bad aim for a university there in and of itself.

nice post Eric.  I don't dispute any of the connections Roosevelt had to North Dakota.  That isn't and never has been my point.   None of his time spent in the state changes the fact his Roughriders were never here.  The muster in and muster out rolls I've seen show Jesse Langdon as the only one calling north Dakota home.   He was the son of the head Vet at NDSU.   What a great connection, eh?   I was hoping there would be a nickname choice that we didn't have to "wax philosophical" over to make the connection to our state.    I've seen people post in recent days (not you) about how their ancestors were "roughriders".   that just makes me laugh.  They were homesteaders, pioneers, settlers yes, but roughriders, no. 

When you mention the flags; nearly every battalion fought under the Great Seal of the United States, so they had similar flags.  Later, North Dakota decided to copy the Seal with a few minor changes as its state flag.

I respect the opinion of everyone who likes the name roughriders.  it just so happens your opinions are wrong.  :D:D   carry on!

• Upvote 1

You have to be half baked to think this is reality? Are you fried?

No, are you? 

Ask yourself: Are NDSU fans are trying to make this grease fire burn on because it's good for UND? 

Did you notice when there was no end in sight to this debacle that we heard little from our NDSU "friends"? They may be NDSU folks, but they're smart enough to know "When your enemy is charging headlong down the path to their destruction, get out of their way." Now that the effort has an end near, the NDSU fans are trying to keep the efforts moving on. 

It is a fair question to ask; why would a bunch of Imperial Cass County and/or NDSU people care about what UND does or doesn't do with the nickname and logo? I don't put much past NDSU when it comes to trying to harm UND. The little Ag School is worried that we'll resolve this issue and turn our focus back to what it should be: education, research and athletics. Too bad for them they have little or no control over this.

You are wise. 

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 1

Uffda!  The Heraldo pulled out all their gramatical stops on this one.

OUR OPINION: Let the Sundogs shine as new UND nickname

Sundogs are NOT unique to North Dakota, they occur where ever it is extremely cold.  And a sundog NEVER cheered me up.  Usually when I see a sundog, my first reaction is "good God, why do I live here!"

Sundogs sparkle; sundogs dance. Sundogs inspire, blending the North Country's core elements of ice crystals and blue sky into a vision that impressed Shakespeare himself: "Dazzle mine eyes, or do I see three suns?" the Bard wrote in "Henry VI, Part 3."

being-sick.gif

• Upvote 2

Sundogs are NOT unique to North Dakota, they occur where ever it is extremely cold.  And a sundog NEVER cheered me up.  Usually when I see a sundog, my first reaction is "good God, why do I live here!"

Its cute how desperate people are trying to push this name... news flash, it dies in two weeks!

I thought that I saw that if there is a runoff, it is only the students that will vote. Did I dream that?

Nope, all eligible voters the first time get to vote in the event of a runoff.

"The online voting process will be conducted by Qualtrics, a third-party survey technology provider.  Following the closing of the vote at midnight Central time on Friday, October 23, Qualtrics will tally the votes.  UND expects to receive the report from Qualtrics and announce the vote results early the week of October 26.   If any of the proposed nicknames receives a majority of the votes, that name will be determined to be the new athletics nickname for the University of North Dakota.

In the event that no single nickname receives a majority of the votes, stakeholders who were eligible to take part in the initial vote will be able to participate in a runoff vote between the two top vote-getters."

UND announces nickname voting dates

No, are you? 

Ask yourself: Are NDSU fans are trying to make this grease fire burn on because it's good for UND? 

Did you notice when there was no end in sight to this debacle that we heard little from our NDSU "friends"? They may be NDSU folks, but they're smart enough to know "When your enemy is charging headlong down the path to their destruction, get out of their way." Now that the effort has an end near, the NDSU fans are trying to keep the efforts moving on. 

You are wise. 

sorry sic, but this is like the ref conspiracy in the frozen four. I'm not buying it...

nice post Eric.  I don't dispute any of the connections Roosevelt had to North Dakota.  That isn't and never has been my point.   None of his time spent in the state changes the fact his Roughriders were never here.  The muster in and muster out rolls I've seen show Jesse Langdon as the only one calling north Dakota home.   He was the son of the head Vet at NDSU.   What a great connection, eh?   I was hoping there would be a nickname choice that we didn't have to "wax philosophical" over to make the connection to our state.    I've seen people post in recent days (not you) about how their ancestors were "roughriders".   that just makes me laugh.  They were homesteaders, pioneers, settlers yes, but roughriders, no. 

When you mention the flags; nearly every battalion fought under the Great Seal of the United States, so they had similar flags.  Later, North Dakota decided to copy the Seal with a few minor changes as its state flag.

I respect the opinion of everyone who likes the name roughriders.  it just so happens your opinions are wrong.  :D:D   carry on!

As a big TR fan, I have no problem waxing philosophic from time to time haha... That probably has a lot to to do with the 'brevity' of my posts as well.

I haven't looked like it up lately (laziness), but I am pretty sure in the minutes describing the creation of the state flag, the 1st Volunteer's battle flag is specifically mentioned. You are correct though that it and its similar likeness was often used. 

Looks like Tom spent a little to much time sniffing the newspaper ink last night!!

• Upvote 1

Looks like Tom spent a little to much time sniffing the newspaper ink last night!!

Or they want the vote to go that way making a great story of the outrage by people demanding ND be back on the nickname list. No news is good news and bad news is the most read news.

that tom dennis rant could possibly be the dumbest editorial ever written...ever

It is totally insipid - we are asking our warriors to go to battle for UND and the beauty of the sky on a cold winter day.  I don't give a damn what Shakespeare had to say about sundogs it doesn't come close to Jon Casey spraying the front of his jersey with a water bottle and explaining that the warrior was fighting just as hard as anyone and needed a drink of water too.  That is what a nickname and logo should inspire - not a desire to stand in admiration of the beauty of an ice rainbow.

• Upvote 2

Why are all these NDSU folks (Bismarck's former mayor, now Kasper from Fargo, previously Al Carlson) now suddenly worried about UND's nickname? Where were they in 2005? Where were they when they could do something that mattered?

I'll tell you why they are so "concerned" now. 

NDSU (et al opponents) have greatly enjoyed UND supporters focused on this issue and fighting within our own ranks. UND's detractors want this issue to wallow on, this quagmire to be eternal. 

But now they see this thing coming to a resolution*. They know that the amount of time and energy devoted to this issue by folks who care about UND will drop markedly once the issue is voted and sealed.

And that energy will be refocused back on building an even better UND. 

So, when the vote is done and a new nickname is in place, there will be a slight period of adjustment, but then UND supporters will get back to the primary task at hand: continuing to make UND great and even greater. 

And that scares folks that don't want that. 

*Not all will agree with the outcome, but show me a contentious issue where that happens. 

Wow!  Great conspiracy theory.  I personally know Kasper.  That was not his angle at all.  But it's not as sexy as a bunch of SU guys trying to keep UND down.  So please continue blaming NDSU folks for the mess that is our nickname debacle.

It is totally insipid - we are asking our warriors to go to battle for UND and the beauty of the sky on a cold winter day.  I don't give a damn what Shakespeare had to say about sundogs it doesn't come close to Jon Casey spraying the front of his jersey with a water bottle and explaining that the warrior was fighting just as hard as anyone and needed a drink of water too.  That is what a nickname and logo should inspire - not a desire to stand in admiration of the beauty of an ice rainbow.

I think you're totally underestimating Sparkle Power!   Let's all get behind Sundogs.  gfhockey and I will volunteer to be the two sundog mascots, each of us wearing rainbow colored bodysuits.