SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

Why?In my opinion, Wayne is decent guy. I think he does a good job as the Sports editor of the Grand Forks Herald.

virg did a good job covering sioux hockey but brad's coverage is borderline stalkerish...its time for wayne to retire so he can go to the races and oogle over dobmeiers "engine" until 1am and not worry about a deadline

RRHS starts going by red riders. Problem solved. They don't deserve a state nickname anyway. 

yes. rrhs should change/alter their nickname if/when roughriders wins...it would also make the central people feel better in two ways...they lost their old nickname to the pc crowd and in the end through und losing our nickname because the pc crowd rrhs loses theirs too...plus "i could never root for the riders" people that went to central don't have to worry about then...

call em the presidents, the red riders, the cavs, the teddy's, ....

yes. rrhs should change/alter their nickname if/when roughriders wins...it would also make the central people feel better in two ways...they lost their old nickname to the pc crowd and in the end through und losing our nickname because the pc crowd rrhs loses theirs too...plus "i could never root for the riders" people that went to central don't have to worry about then...

call em the presidents, the red riders, the cavs, the teddy's, ....

RRHS - Riders

UND - Roughriders

Problem solved!!!

• Upvote 1

U Roughrider fans better hope not many GF Residents or GFC or Red River Alum. Vote because I have not talked to anyone who wants UND to be Roughriders

I really hope the final 2 are Nodaks & Fighting Hawks either would good

I think you are being disingenuous, because if you really thought that most people were against Roughriders from around here, you wouldn't be constantly rehashing how they can't have the same nickname as someone in town.  

• Upvote 1

Never said "can't " just not a good idea to locals

Plus I don't think current students like Roughriders either

I wish we knew what current Athletes  think ?

I really believe former Athletes & long time fans will always  personally be Fighting Sioux Forever

Edited by Fetch

U Roughrider fans better hope not many GF Residents or GFC or Red River Alum. Vote because I have not talked to anyone who wants UND to be Roughriders

I am a RRHS alum and up until about 4 months ago a lifelong GF resident.  I will be voting for Roughriders.  I am not the only one either.  So you need to talk to more people.  Now you know at least one!! :)

Never said "can't " just not a good idea to locals

Plus I don't think current students like Roughriders either

I wish we knew what current Athletes  think ?

I really believe former Athletes & long time fans will always be personally be Fighting Sioux

If the Sioux nickname had never been used before, I think current students wouldn't want that now either, because I don't think many have a deep appreciation for history.  

there has been a massive shift from north stars to fighting hawks on campus based on what I have seen. Lots of support building for it.

The reason you see this is because the students have seen the drawn up hawk logo with the feathers and think that will be the logo. Unfortunatley, that logo belongs to the Chicago Blackhawks and won't be the logo. I, definitely don't want to be another team to transition to a hawk... so unoriginal.

• Upvote 2

The reason you see this is because the students have seen the drawn up hawk logo with the feathers and think that will be the logo. Unfortunatley, that logo belongs to the Chicago Blackhawks and won't be the logo. I, definitely don't want to be another team to transition to a hawk... so unoriginal.

That and the Mafia Theory (keep the word fighting) are the two biggest reasons that I have seen and heard about Fighting Hawks when it comes to students.  I am a bit surprised by this movement, even with the logo out there. 

From what I have seen and heard, and I could be off on this one, the student's on campus order would look something like this

FH

NS

RR

Nodaks

Sundogs

im thinking that the fh in the lead bc students voting online on herald webpage...because they are constantly online...when it comes to alumni and what not that are actually doing productive things (working) instead of constantly being online the vote will go heavy for the RR...

Edited by SIOUXFAN97

Myself and quite a few of my fellow Central alumni (and UND grads) like Roughriders best.

Why I support the Fighting Hawks

While it is time to move on, that doesn’t mean to forget a proud tradition. “Fighting” maintains a piece of that tradition. The Hawk is a sacred bird to many tribes, also maintaining some tradition. As a previous post of a video shows, Hawks eat Gophers. UND has a world renowned aviation program. The root word for aviation is the Latin word avis: bird. Others have provided solid reasons for not choosing the other options. I don’t wish to be redundant in stating my opposition to those four.

By the way, I suggested the Fighting Attorneys or Fighting Lawyers so we would be justified in yelling, “Go Sue!”  Not sure why that didn’t get more consideration. :-)

alright, I know you've all been waiting to hear from the voice of reason; so here I am.   :lol:

first, 3 choices that are out:

1.  Sundogs- I don't have a problem with it, (yes i'm aware of B.R.I.D.G.E.S.) it's unique and a lot of things could be done logo-wise. But, there's a lot of people adamantly opposed to it, it will not get unified support if chosen, so it will not get my vote.

2.  North Stars- Nice name, but makes no sense given our neighbors to the east.  so it's out.

3.  Rough Riders-  Nice faux history story for 30 second ND Tourism ads, but a poor nickname choice.  To think this process started with the idea of possibly honoring/recognizing something great about North Dakota, its pioneers, its industries, its flagship U....heck ANYTHING "north Dakota".... and yet the only choice left that attempts to accomplish this is not even historically accurate, as its assembled members never even set foot in north Dakota.  Too many degrees of separation to an entirely different time in Teddy Roosevelt's life to choose this as a name.   It would be like remembering when Bill Clinton was president and visited north Dakota a couple of times, and recalling he said he liked it here, so because he liked us, we decided to go with the name UND Saxophones.  No Thanks.

2 names I'd be ok with:

1st choice-  fighting hawks-  keeps the word fighting in our name. Hawks are everywhere in rural north Dakota.  they are fun to watch, fearless birds of prey.  Yes, there are a lot of other schools with the nickname hawks.  there's a reason for that-apparently it works.  "Fighting", and our new logo, will be our differentiation.  

2nd choice-  Nodaks-   if it caught on and someone came up with a good logo relating to something uniquely north Dakota to market it, I could definitely get behind it. 

remember to vote early, and vote often!

• Upvote 2

I have read in multiple posts here the Fighting Hawks is a reasonable choice as it keeps "Fighting" intact and that one word is a carry over from Fighting Sioux.  I was never the smartest kid in class but isn't "Fighting" an adjective...just a describing word? The argument is that at end of this cluster of a process a specific adjective, not an actual noun...person, place or thing, is the overriding factor in selecting a winner among the 5 options remaining with some?  

Yup that make sense to me................   

• Upvote 2