SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

I have read in multiple posts here the Fighting Hawks is a reasonable choice as it keeps "Fighting" intact and that one word is a carry over from Fighting Sioux.  I was never the smartest kid in class but isn't "Fighting" an adjective...just a describing word? The argument is that at end of this cluster of a process a specific adjective, not an actual noun...person, place or thing, is the overriding factor in selecting a winner among the 5 options remaining with some?

Yup that make sense to me................  

Yes, seems ridiculous.  We could add "Fighting" to one of the other names, too.  "Sioux" didn't start out with Fighting.

Yes, seems ridiculous.  We could add "Fighting" to one of the other names, too.  "Sioux" didn't start out with Fighting.

Yes, and I believe if your option of Nodaks is selected, I think that should be part of that nickname as well, as it would break it up a bit from just being the University of North Dakota Nodaks. 

Went to RRHS and am finishing up my MBA at UND(for what it's worth).

My Current Rankings:

1. Fighting Hawks- I like the connection with the aviation school, it's a bird of prey, it seems like an aggressive symbol and yes it is as similar to Fighting Sioux as the NCAA will allow us to go.

2. Roughriders- I went to a school that was 2 miles away from the Ralph that carries the same logo so I think this is a little lazy and unimaginative pick for the top 5 honestly, despite that it is the 2nd 'least worst' option in this list and could have a decent logo.

3. Nodaks- Wayne's article persuaded me to put this in the 3rd position, however the redundancy gets me and it does have a bit of hick twang to it

4. North Stars- I'd like it a lot if it wasn't already used by our main hockey rival state

5. Sun Dogs- I honestly tried to see people's perspective on this but I couldn't imagine myself seeing a player being interviewed going "Yeah we know those SUNDOGS play really tough in their building so it'll be a battle. It always is anytime you go play the SUNDOGS" Doesn't exactly invoke that intense, intimidating feel.

Edited by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My Top Two - I am actually leaning towards Nodaks, but I don't think it will gain enough votes to win. I do think if there was a potential logo to go with any of these name, it could shake up the current voting. The image can really sell.

Roughriders - Unique, and there would be some cool stuff you could do with the logo and mascot.

Nodaks - Seem like the next best option for anyone who just wanted North Dakota. Seems like this name is gaining momentum, certainly within some of the recent media. Sounds like this is the one Dean Blais was picking. I also though it was cool that this was widely used years ago, and used to be on the jersey for some sports. (I can see NODAKS written diagonal down a hockey jersey, not too bad.

I just don't have much interest in the rest.

Fighting Hawks - It would work, but its just so generic. Nothing unique, just boring.

Sundogs - I think the jury is out, this name sucks.

North Stars - Pretty cool name .... for a MN hockey team.

Go Sioux!

I'm usually a fly on the wall here but thought I'd come out of the shadows to put in my thoughts.  DISCLAIMER I do not have a vote in this process and absolutely wish they could keep the Fighting Sioux moniker. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen and the process will go through as advertised and the nickname will be one of the five on the list. Here are my preferences if I had a say in the vote:

1. Roughriders. Yes, a high school in town has this name. So what? This is about a national brand, pride, and marketing. The nickname is unique to the NCAA, has the best logo potential out of the candidates in my opinion, and represents the state of ND. ND is known as the Roughrider State and our highest annual award is the Roughrider Award. This is my favorite for all these reasons and would 100% be my vote if I had one.

2. Fighting Hawks. I'd like it better if it lost the Fighting part. Hawks is safe, unimaginative, and the go-to name for any school required to change their name (thanks, NCAA). That being said, a great logo could make up for a boring name. People rally behind great logos and that's a huge reason why I think people are so passionate about losing the Fighting Sioux nickname. Fighting Hawks is still a distant 2nd due to lack of creativity.

3. North Stars. This one could be 2b. I like the name. I like the logo possibilities. I like that it would be unique to the NCAA. I don't care that MN had a professional hockey team with the same name. I do care that MN is known as the North Star State, though. It just seems a little off that we would borrow another state's title. That's my only problem with it. That being said, I'd be okay with any of my top 3.

4. Nodaks. Just no. I don't buy the "it's a derogatory name for people from ND" argument. Nevertheless, it's just not a good name. In fact, it's really bad. The phonetics of it alone seems to epitomize the 'hick' stereotype. It's also the worst possibility in terms of a logo. What the heck does a Nodak look like? How do you represent that with a good logo? This is just an awful option.

5. Sundogs. Not only no... but hell no. Yes, it's unique. Unfortunately, the reason it's unique is because it's THAT bad. A weather phenomenon that essential looks like a rainbow around the sun when we hit sub-zero temperatures. Man, how did no one else snag that? The only nice thing I have to say about this finalist is that it's still a better nickname than Golden Gophers. Sundogs or Nodaks would be extremely disappointing.

Pretty close to my thoughts but I got 3 votes in the family and it'll be 3 for Roughriders. Could take fighting Hawks, but Roughriders because of the logo potential and all the state awareness that name has already like you mentioned. I actually saw a big decal on a some guys truck the other day on I94 that said. "North Dakota is Roughrider country." 

north Stars is ok but I can't get past the Minnesota thing. Nodaks is almost as bad as Sundogs but not quite that bad. I know there is some history with that name but that's where it should stay. I expect we'll be voting again on Fighting Hawks and Roughriders after the first vote. Logo possibilities are good for a hawk but no matter what you'll have some form of a hawk. Not a bad thing at all but Roughriders could be anything from a horse, a soldier on a horse, to some cool image of TR. Great potential for a secondary logo with those too. I like all 3 of those options better than a Hawk when thinking logo potential. Roughriders has all the intangibles UND wants in a nickname. Roll Riders!!

• Upvote 1

Pretty close to my thoughts but I got 3 votes in the family and it'll be 3 for Roughriders. Could take fighting Hawks, but Roughriders because of the logo potential and all the state awareness that name has already like you mentioned. I actually saw a big decal on a some guys truck the other day on I94 that said. "North Dakota is Roughrider country." 

north Stars is ok but I can't get past the Minnesota thing. Nodaks is almost as bad as Sundogs but not quite that bad. I know there is some history with that name but that's where it should stay. I expect we'll be voting again on Fighting Hawks and Roughriders after the first vote. Logo possibilities are good for a hawk but no matter what you'll have some form of a hawk. Not a bad thing at all but Roughriders could be anything from a horse, a soldier on a horse, to some cool image of TR. Great potential for a secondary logo with those too. I like all 3 of those options better than a Hawk when thinking logo potential. Roughriders has all the intangibles UND wants in a nickname. Roll Riders!!

Wait, whats your username again? :) jk

• Upvote 1

Yes, and I believe if your option of Nodaks is selected, I think that should be part of that nickname as well, as it would break it up a bit from just being the University of North Dakota Nodaks. 

Fighting Nodaks seems to describe who we are pretty well. We're always fighting with somebody - the NCAA, the University president, Bison fans, ourselves!

• Upvote 3

Nodaks?  No thanks.  Tied with Sundogs and North Stars as worst available options, and that's saying something considering what we have to choose from.

(Insert Adjective) Hawks?  Thanks consultants, you really went out on a limb here.  At least there's some logo potential.

Going to go with Riders...sorry if it bothers Central alums but it's the best option on this terrible list. (IMHO)

Edited by Blackheart
  • Upvote 2

6566936d92220830faebb3c256d72e64.jpg

Someone posted this sign awhile back as well. 

• Upvote 1

Nodaks......really???  Have people lost their mind thinking this is a good nickname?  Every team we play will be saying "What the hell is a Nodak?  And, unfortunately due to the high number of immature idiots out there, opposing fans will resort to calling us the "NO DICKS" .  Seriously people!!  I thought Sundogs was the worst name that could ever be chosen, but Nodaks is by far the worst.

• Upvote 2

Nodaks......really???  Have people lost their mind thinking this is a good nickname?  Every team we play will be saying "What the hell is a Nodak?  And, unfortunately due to the high number of immature idiots out there, opposing fans will resort to calling us the "NO DICKS" .  Seriously people!!  I thought Sundogs was the worst name that could ever be chosen, but Nodaks is by far the worst.

Doesn't matter what we pick, they will come up with something terrible. 

You really use the "no dicks" as a reason to not like Nodaks? You do know the derogatory word for Roughriders right? Why don't you just say RR is the only good name and end this back and forth that this thread was suppose to avoid!

• Upvote 1

You really use the "no dicks" as a reason to not like Nodaks? You do know the derogatory word for Roughriders right? Why don't you just say RR is the only good name and end this back and forth that this thread was suppose to avoid

So when I "make my case for the vote" I chose to make my point as to why NOT to vote for a certain name.  What's wrong with that?  If you don't think that people are going to say that if Nokaks is picked, that's fine.  But you are kidding yourself.  What is the derogatory word for Roughriders?  A condom?  I'd say USC and other schools with the Trojan name have done just fine.  What percent of people think of a comdom when they first hear "Roughrider" anyway?

I'm a little confused, what do people currently think a Nodak is?

http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=9672&SPSID=81944

NoDak Nation is the official student-athletic booster organization at the University of North Dakota. 

• Upvote 3

So when I "make my case for the vote" I chose to make my point as to why NOT to vote for a certain name.  What's wrong with that?  If you don't think that people are going to say that if Nokaks is picked, that's fine.  But you are kidding yourself.  What is the derogatory word for Roughriders?  A condom?  I'd say USC and other schools with the Trojan name have done just fine.  What percent of people think of a comdom when they first hear "Roughrider" anyway?

1) Just read the rules of the thread.

2) Yes people will say that about my choice I'm leaning towards, but if you think they won't do it to whatever you want, you are "kidding yourself".

3) I was making a joke at your complaint by using my complaint, just to prove a point! 

I think both examples are un- avoidable and not worth any concern...

• Upvote 1