SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

I've gotten into a little war with brad over his hack piece on the nodaks versus rr...apparently the herald has no problem with RR when it comes to red river or the rough rider awards but when it comes down the UND brad says this..

Taking away a Native American nickname that many Native Americans fought to keep, and replacing it with a nickname that honors someone who publicly despised Native Americans, sure opens the door to future controversy. - See more at: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=100931#comment-151680"

I've gotten into a little war with brad over his hack piece on the nodaks versus rr...apparently the herald has no problem with RR when it comes to red river or the rough rider awards but when it comes down the UND brad says this..

Taking away a Native American nickname that many Native Americans fought to keep, and replacing it with a nickname that honors someone who publicly despised Native Americans, sure opens the door to future controversy. - See more at: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=100931#comment-151680"

... but Phil Jackson supported it, so it must be PC!

• Upvote 1

Brad's entitled to his own opinion but that's all it is; his opinion.  I couldn't care less what Brad or any of the Herald writers think is the best name...also, it wasn't just Native Americans who fought to keep the Sioux name.  Roughriders may not be everyone's favorite but at least there are historical ties with the name and it is unique to the NCAA. 

If you want nicknames with future controversy potential try Seminoles or Fighting Irish.  End rant.

the part that is making so damn mad with brad is that he just assuming or making stuff up (to appease Tom?)...where has it said anywhere that Teddy will be associated the RR nickname if it wins.  no where brad.

couldn't you make the same assumption if you wanted to with the nodaks?  Teddy as your logo

plus show me any protests surrounding RRHS use of the RR nickname anywhere/anytime in the last 50 years

Edited by SIOUXFAN97

the part that is making so damn mad with brad is that he just assuming or making stuff up (to appease Tom?)...where has it said anywhere that Teddy will be associated the RR nickname if it wins?  no where brad?

couldn't you make the same assumption if you wanted to with the nodaks?  Teddy as your logo?

plus show me any protests surrounding RRHS use of the RR nickname anywhere/anytime in the last 50 years??

It just needs to sound good, doesn't have to be true...

Edited by Blackheart

the part that is making so damn mad with brad is that he just assuming or making stuff up (to appease Tom?)...where has it said anywhere that Teddy will be associated the RR nickname if it wins.  no where brad.

couldn't you make the same assumption if you wanted to with the nodaks?  Teddy as your logo

plus show me any protests surrounding RRHS use of the RR nickname anywhere/anytime in the last 50 years

Funny you say this, the same thing happened from lots on here about the no nickname option! Making scare tactics up to get their way or try prove their point! Where does it say that no nickname will cause sanctions to UND again? Nowhere! 

Man, I love Karma! 

• Upvote 2

maybe they're assuming because of the bajillion posts on siouxsports.com, where peeps are pumping up teddy as the reason to go with roughriders?  (or maybe they've just looked at your avatar)

:)

maybe they're assuming because of the bajillion posts on siouxsports.com, where peeps are pumping up teddy as the reason to go with roughriders?  (or maybe they've just looked at your avatar)

:)

I've always thought that gfhockey was either scholssman or devillers

OKAY .... was Fighting Sioux controversial? Sure. I guess. Will Roughriders be controversial? Sure, I guess .... so why was this ok with the PC crowd? Because these are the kind of people who always need something to cry, whine and rant about. If they replace Fighting Sioux with Sundogs, they won't know what to do with their time. If Fighting Sioux is replace with Roughrider, then they can remain busy with their political correctness agenda..

All kidding aside, I really don't understand the vantage point of us not using Roughriders because of the association with that horrible human being Teddy R (sense the sarcasm). Its the same garbage as the folks in Mpls who want to change the name of Lake Calhoun because of whom the lake was named after. Honestly, growing up I didn't know who John Calhoun was. To me it was just the name of the lake. Now, people are up in arms because they are offended that someone would have a lake named after them, when they didn't obide by the standards of civilization set 150 years after their death? By this same logic, we should take presidents off of our money, tear down a great deal of statues featuring political figures and so on. Heck in another 150 years, we may even need to chastise Obama for certain views that won't be PC in the year 2165 (personally, I don't need to wait that long to chastise Obama :) )

I'll get off my political soap box, but at some point there needs to be a line in the sand where we don't pick apart the shortcomings, or bad decisions of every person throughout history. There needs to be, to some degree, an understanding that times were different. People thought differently. Different things were acceptable, even if they no longer are. Lets not tarnish our view of every single historical figure on the basis of today's standards, but on the accomplishments they made to make the country what it is. I'm not saying celebrate their shortcomings; but there is no need to pick all of them apart either.

(Rant Over)

Go Sioux!

Go Nodaks! Go Roughriders!

Edited by siouxfan512
  • Upvote 4

For a real naming controversy look into what the Province of Quebec is faced with having something like 8 locales that contain the "N" word in their names.  N Rock and N Falls are two I remember.  It seems that all of these place names were given as  memorials to runaway slaves and there is a real opposition to attempts by the Quebec parliament to change them.  Part of the population does not want to lose the historic connection that preserving these names ensures.  Calhoun, Fighting Sioux, and __.  It is amazing what can happen when context is ignored and decisions are made based on what is on the surface.

For a real naming controversy look into what the Province of Quebec is faced with having something like 8 locales that contain the "N" word in their names.  N Rock and N Falls are two I remember.  It seems that all of these place names were given as  memorials to runaway slaves and there is a real opposition to attempts by the Quebec parliament to change them.  Part of the population does not want to lose the historic connection that preserving these names ensures.  Calhoun, Fighting Sioux, and __.  It is amazing what can happen when context is ignored and decisions are made based on what is on the surface.

https://news.vice.com/article/quebec-has-several-places-with-names-containing-the-n-word-for-now

... but Phil Jackson supported it, so it must be PC!

No.

There's a better PC voice than Phil's. 

A while back one the staunch anti-old nickname folks (I don't recall if it was one of the Taken Alives, Ron His Horse is Thunder, or Tex Hall) came out and said we all could support Roughriders. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

it's certainly not a cut and dried, black and white issue. 

I'll be picking between Nodaks and Rough Riders for the simple fact that they are the only 2 options.  I don't care if a "Nodak" isn't a real thing.  It would be unique and represent North Dakota.  Rough Riders is the only other viable option.

Fighting Hawks, wow, original.  Must have taken months to think that one up.  Pass.

North Stars, awesome name but it belongs to Minnesota.  

Sundogs, an abomination.  The fact that it made it this far is a sham.  On top of that, it is a slang term for a sexual act.  If you aren't aware head on over and look it up on Urban Dictionary. *Disclaimer, its not appropriate so I'm not going to link it but it does exist.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No.

There's a better PC voice than Phil's. 

A while back one the staunch anti-old nickname folks (I don't recall if it was one of the Taken Alives, Ron His Horse is Thunder, or Tex Hall) came out and said we all could support Roughriders. 

It was Ron His Horse Farts Thunder. That is the main reason I can't support Roughriders. 

• Upvote 1