SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

4 hours ago, dlsiouxfan said:

They basically just choose not to comply with Title IX.  The have nearly 3 men's scholarships for every women's scholarship.  At every other school in the country the ratio is 1.1.  UND and every other FCS school would have a ton of money to plug back into their football programs if they didn't offer scholarships or fund sports like women's hockey and women's swimming and diving.  If there are any UND attorneys out there looking for a case where they can make a ton of money this is probably where it is.  The settlement when this blows up against them will be huge and probably would cripple their athletic department for a decade at a minimum.  It's why they can't go FBS, any conference that sees that ratio would want nothing to do with them as they would know it's only a matter of time until that shoe drops.

NDSU athletics are definitely in compliance with Title IX.

I don't like NDSU but what they just did is every UND and FCS fans dream. A NC for 5 years straight that's what you wish your team to do, and NDSU has done it perfectly with different QB's different RB's and now 2 different coaches. I pray UND can get to the NC game and I think we are on the right track with Bubba. Congrats Bison and hopefully we meet in the playoffs next season.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

And where will the money come from?  

If you are really curious you can write an email to Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, or any of the other numerous teams that moved from FCS recently and ask them. That should give you a general idea.

t

7 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Isn't that sad that after 5 titles they are still wondering "now what?". It will be devastating to their programs if they don't continue this success. Will the fans continue to support the team after a few losing seasons? What happens if UND rises to the top of the FCS and someday knocks the bison off? Will they wish they would have moved up the FBS while they may have had a chance? They will always have this history of success but what do they do when their present is not so bright? They would be better off with losing seasons at the FBS level than the FCS level.

UND winning wouldn't be the issue. UND will likely never win at the level NDSU has. The issue is they NDSU is an okay varsity team playing jv football. They are a lot better than the rest right now and it's not really close.

5 hours ago, TRex said:

I watched the game in a bar today, needed the booze to ease the pain of the Bison winning No. 5.   Beats me how they do it year after year, but something underhanded has to be going on.   No program can stay up there like that.   Do they cheat at recruiting or something?   They certainly wouldn't be the first program by any length.

Now for us, we need improve next year to the point of at least winning a playoff game or two.   We can't keep dragging our feet.

They take football seriously. It has snowballed in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Never suggested that........ but living in Fargo and watching the NDSU playoff games I have little doubt UND would have been just as or more competitive vs SU than any team they actually played on the way to the title.

No. UNI was better than UND and quite frankly, it wasn't close. Montana was better than und.... And that game was a blowout if i recall. Richmond... Well they beat Illinois St so they must at least be competent. Me and the lady left the UND/NDSU game at halftime because... Well... I'm sure you watched.  When was UND's first first down again? Couldn't tell ya... But it wasn't by halftime.

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

And where will the money come from?  

Exactly... And what conference footprint and what conference is calling us on the phone.   Answer is none.   All of these playoff games make for a great season finale for the fans.   I like that much better than one post season no name bowl game.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Was NDSU the same team yesterday that lost week one at Montana? Not even close. Was UND the same team the last 2 weeks of their season as they were week 3 at NDSU. Not even close. Is Alabama the same team going into the title game tomorrow that they were a few weeks back when they lost to Ole Miss? Again.....no. It's not like NDSU went undefeated this season and blew everyone out.......they got better as the year went along.......as did UND.

Some people don't get it............

Both teams clearly did improve during the season. Despite that improvement, UND was no closer to NDSU at the end of the season than it was in September.  If anything, the gap increased during the season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Fetch said:

Congrats Bison but like the Packers ur time is over & a new Era is beginning Fighting Hawks Football

Pretty sure I heard that kind of talk in 2012...and 2013...and 2014...and 2015.

If Chicago wins four more Stanley Cups in a row, my thoughts won't be "meh, the Red Wings are coming."

3 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Both teams clearly did improve during the season. Despite that improvement, UND was no closer to NDSU at the end of the season than it was in September.  

"That's easy to say"...........

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

UND winning wouldn't be the issue. UND will likely never win at the level NDSU has. The issue is they NDSU is an okay varsity team playing jv football. They are a lot better than the rest right now and it's not really close.

On one hand, NDSU was a few plays away from being undefeated, on the other hand their regular season was a few plays away from being 7-4 (UNI and Youngstown regular season games). The more time they have to prepare and the bigger the game it seems like either 1) they have things down to a science on players peaking for the game or 2) they are doing something different with their players than the rest of college football, and I am not necessarily saying it's illegal, but the thought has crossed my mind. 

Another aspect is schematics.......doesn't seem earth shattering but they are very sound on O and especially D.

• Upvote 1

Ndsu is head and shoulders above everyone right now in fcs congrats to them I guess.  

Losing Georgia  southern and Appalachian St. and with the perrianal powers not being perrianal powers have a lot to do with why they look so good.  Montana, E Washington and Delaware and a few others are not playing top level football.  

When looking at the top four conferences in the fcs, only the mvfc has stepped up.  It could be easy to say that if you removed ndsu from that conference they would also be on par with the other conferences.  The CAA, Big Sky, and southern are not what they were. This is why I see ndsu going for 10 in a row.  The competition in the fcs is just not there.

But don't kid yourself, they would not be able to compete in a P5 conference week in and week out, no way!!  Maybe the sun belt and the likes of those but no way a P5. 

21 hours ago, homer said:

I'd say he has not done anything to hurt himself.  The key to his draft position will still be the week of the Senior Bowl.  Don't want to take anything away from Carson but NDSU would still be leading by 21 with Stick at QB.  

Not sure if Stick makes some of those third down throws that Carson did yesterday but he will in the future. Defense obviously was huge. Held them to 204 yards. That's 300 plus under their average. Bison could very well make it a 6 pack next year.

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

On one hand, NDSU was a few plays away from being undefeated, on the other hand their regular season was a few plays away from being 7-4 (UNI and Youngstown regular season games).

NDSU Bison:  5-time National Champions*

*yea, but we were a few plays away from being 7-4.

Hmnnn...probably not being screenprinted onto the newest batch of t-shirts and hats at Coaches Choice.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Hmnnn...probably not being screenprinted onto the newest batch of t-shirts and hats at Coaches Choice.

That was perspective on someone saying NDSU is a lot better than the rest and it's not even close..........it appears it was close in the regular season.  Then, the playoffs were pretty much a joke, like just about every playoff run, so what's the reason?

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Are you going with the stream yellow shirt or the forest green? 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Hawk said:

LET IT GO!!  Admit it, we aren't anywhere near their level yet. 

The problem is that some of our fans believe we will NEVER, EVER get to that level in FCS football and what's worse, they are fine and dandy with that. Which is disconcerting, because that is one of the big reasons we moved up in the first place. I think Bubba has bigger goals for this program than to just have a winning record every year. Bubba and his staff are working 24/7 to change the narrative around here. And they will. Believe that.

Also, this talk of NDSU winning 10 straight titles is very premature. Nobody knows what will happen the next 5 years in FCS. You may have some emerging powers come up out of nowhere and be competitive in the postseason. Or maybe that long awaited shake-up in the structure of college football finally happens and the boundaries of FBS and FCS will change from what they have been for so long.

Hang in there, my UND brethren, our time is coming. And all this waiting will make the taste of ultimate victory even sweeter.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

No offense to Wyoming and Idaho, but if they can be FBS, why shouldn't UND, Montana, MSU, NDSU, and SDSU be allowed too?  

All one has to do is look at Idaho to realize that FBS isn't feasible for NDSU or UND, at least not at the present.    The fact that Idaho is going to wind up moving back to FCS should squelch the talk of anyone else in this area moving up.

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

The machines are running....at least my boss is happy.:D

7 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

On one hand, NDSU was a few plays away from being undefeated, on the other hand their regular season was a few plays away from being 7-4.

2) they are doing something different with their players than the rest of college football, and I am not necessarily saying it's illegal, but the thought has crossed my mind. 

This is pathetic. Accusing NDSU of cheating because you can't compete with them.  

If developing players and preparing them well is cheating maybe they are.  

40 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

This is pathetic. Accusing NDSU of cheating because you can't compete with them.  

If developing players and preparing them well is cheating maybe they are.  

NDSU players have already been caught "cheating" a few times while at NDSU.  

They were getting paid to steal from Best Buy. 

They were paid to sit and sign signatures. 

Both are pretty nice lucrative careers. 

Just waiting for the next scandal to break.:whistling:

• Downvote 1