SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

4 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Gotta admit, nobody will ever surpass what the ag school has done at that level.  Sad thing for them is that they will never poney up the money to take it to the highest level. 

Lucky for us that they don't because we'd get left in the dust.   I don't see us ever going FBS, not with the deficit the athletic dept has been running.  

2 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Gotta admit, nobody will ever surpass what the ag school has done at that level.  Sad thing for them is that they will never poney up the money to take it to the highest level. 

Would you rather be winning national championships or playing in the Whatever.com Bowl Game on December 22nd every 5-7 years?

8 minutes ago, TRex said:

Lucky for us that they don't because we'd get left in the dust.   I don't see us ever going FBS, not with the deficit the athletic dept has been running.  

One could argue that moving a football program to FBS will not cost to much more than staying FCS.  Especially if FCS vs. FBS games continue to become harder to schedule. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Would you rather be winning national championships or playing in the Whatever.com Bowl Game on December 22nd every 5-7 years?

Beat Jacksonville State for a sixth national championship or beat the Gophers in the Whatever Bowl? 

I'd rather beat the Gophers in the Whatever Bowl. That would be like 6 FCS Championships combined.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Beat Jacksonville State for a sixth national championship or beat the Gophers in the Whatever Bowl? 

I'd rather beat the Gophers in the Whatever Bowl. That would be like 6 FCS Championships combined.

This is one of the drawing factors. Considering how NDSU football fans travel, why not play a power 5 opponent in a bowl game where many NDSU fans can travel to? Still, as many on here have revealed, NDSU has logistical, financial, and stadium issues to deal with before a legitimate move-up scenario comes to fruition. 

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I agree.  I'd rather move up a level and be fbs in a low level bowl.  

Still...five fcs championships in a row is a great accomplishment.  So, what else is there to prove at fcs level?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, TRex said:

I think if UND would win even two in a row, we'd be breaking ground on phase three and looking at a domed renovation of old Memorial stadium.  

Even with five in a row, FU still has crap for an IPF.  We have a great facility without even making the playoffs yet. 

Why?

Because overall UND > Moo U.  

12 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

I agree.  I'd rather move up a level and be fbs in a low level bowl.  

Still...five fcs championships in a row is a great accomplishment.  So, what else is there to prove at fcs level?

Quick - Name the former FCS powerhouse that won its first FBS bowl game a few weeks ago.

8 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

I think if UND would win even two in a row, we'd be breaking ground on phase three and looking at a domed renovation of old Memorial stadium.  

Even with five in a row, FU still has crap for an IPF.  We have a great facility without even making the playoffs yet. 

Why?

Because overall UND > Moo U.  

Love comments like this.  NDSU could win another 70 consecutive football national championships and UND will still have some folks saying "yea, but our indoor practice facility kicks ass!"

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Ga So and App St.  But I'm a bowl geek.

App State too.  

To me, this FCS mentality is turning into the same mentality we had in division 2...patting ourselves on the back about glorious victories over the NE Central Arkansas Bible Colleges of college football. 

We may not be up to the Alabama and Clemsons of college football, but we need to take on the the Sun Belt snd MAC conferences.  

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

They played and they were not competitive (did anyone else watch that game?).  UND is a long way from a title contender (not saying you were making this claim).

The gap between the top of FCS and teams that simply make the playoffs is significant.

"The gap between the top of FCS"......... wasn't JSU the #1 seed?

What gap are you talking about?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Love comments like this.  NDSU could win another 70 consecutive football national championships and UND will still have some folks saying "yea, but our indoor practice facility kicks ass!"

They won't.  

UND also will not be left behind.  This is just FCS.  That's why the chanpionship is played on ESPN2 on a soccer field on a Saturday morning.  

FCS shouldn't be the goal here. I'm actually starting to believe what Sioux Volley is selling. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

They won't.  

UND also will not be left behind.  This is just FCS.  That's why the chanpionship is played on ESPN2 on a soccer field on a Saturday morning.  

FCS shouldn't be the goal here. I'm actually starting to believe what Sioux Volley is selling. 

No offense to Wyoming and Idaho, but if they can be FBS, why shouldn't UND, Montana, MSU, NDSU, and SDSU be allowed too?  

• Upvote 3

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

No offense to Wyoming and Idaho, but if they can be FBS, why shouldn't UND, Montana, MSU, NDSU, and SDSU be allowed too?  

Bingo.  

When the Power 5 finally have their own championship...which is pretty much what is happening informally anyway, the flagship and land grant schools in the surrounding states better be ready. Or they will be left behind in the third tier, which is essentially what FCS is now.  

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

"The gap between the top of FCS"......... wasn't JSU the #1 seed?

What gap are you talking about?

Actually, you make a good point.  There's the gap between the non playoff teams, the playoff teams, the top tier of playoff teams, then there's the ac.

• Upvote 2