SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

5 in a row is truly unprecedented. 

NDSU honestly should consider a move-up to FBS; either Sun Belt or MAC. They are far too good of a program right now to miss out on FBS membership. Big 12 talk is intriguing, but NDSU doesn't have the stadium capacity to fit into that conference it appears. 

I don't think it is NDSUs choice unless they want to be an independent.  A conference needs to invite them and location is their (and all Dakota schools) biggest enemy.  The Sunbelt already has issues with Idaho and any Dakota school will be on an island in the MAC or Mountain West as well.  With FCOA, athletic depts are going to try and find ways to save money not spend more on travel. Just my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

hey average college football fan...who just won fcs title today? 

i know i know!!!!  mount union!! wrong try again.... wisconsin-eu clair?? nope.

i give up.

Not sure it would be that bad; several would know due to ESPN Gameday. Average fans who fit into your argument likely wouldn't know of Mount Union, either. 

I watched the game in a bar today, needed the booze to ease the pain of the Bison winning No. 5.   Beats me how they do it year after year, but something underhanded has to be going on.   No program can stay up there like that.   Do they cheat at recruiting or something?   They certainly wouldn't be the first program by any length.

Now for us, we need improve next year to the point of at least winning a playoff game or two.   We can't keep dragging our feet.

2 minutes ago, homer said:

I don't think it is NDSUs choice unless they want to be an independent.  A conference needs to invite them and location is their (and all Dakota schools) biggest enemy.  The Sunbelt already has issues with Idaho and any Dakota school will be on an island in the MAC or Mountain West as well.  With FCOA, athletic depts are going to try and find ways to save money not spend more on travel. Just my opinion. 

If NDSU makes their FBS aspirations known, I'm quite sure one of the FBS conferences would eventually extend an invite. Hard to say if NDSU is even interested in moving up, though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I should have said probably averages out to about the 25th best team in all of college football as Massey and Sagarin. All of Auburns losses were to teams ranked in the top 20.

My point isn't about how good Auburn may or may not be. It's about how NDSU just destroyed a pretty darn good football team, Jacksonville St, who went undefeated except for an OT loss to Auburn. 

Jacksonville State was also run out of Spartan Stadium by MSU last season.

And if simply losing to top 20 teams makes you decent, why aren't Kentucky and Vanderbilt in the top 27?

7 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

This game and the playoffs show 2 things:

1) The gap between SU and the rest of the FCS

2) How badly UND got screwed by being left out of playoffs.  JSU sucks.

You're not really suggesting that UND would have done as well as JSU in this year's playoffs...are you? 

C'mon man

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Jacksonville State was also run out of Spartan Stadium my MSU last season.

Cool Story Bro. I agree Jacksonville State was a lot better this year. :lol:

And if simply losing to top 20 teams makes you decent, why aren't Kentucky and Vanderbilt in the top 27?

Go ask the pros who made the programs. You can debate with them what ranking you think Auburn should be.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Go ask the pros who made the program. You can debate with them what ranking you think Auburn should be.

I'll just go ask the War Eagle boosters and see if they care that a bunch of geeks with iPads have them ranked #25 in the country right now.

9 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

You're not really suggesting that UND would have done as well as JSU in this year's playoffs...are you? 

C'mon man

Never suggested that........ but living in Fargo and watching the NDSU playoff games I have little doubt UND would have been just as or more competitive vs SU than any team they actually played on the way to the title.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I understand what you are trying to say, but criticizing the FCS is the not the route to travel. UND athletics is presently inferior to NDSU athletics; that's just the way it is currently. Let's not establish a UND inferiority complex that compensates for UND's inadequacy in football and basketball by demeaning the classification both UND and NDSU play in; it's desperate and short-sighted. 

UND's leadership is problematic, and because of that, NDSU athletics has surpassed UND athletics in support. NDSU has a very good football program that would rank among the top half of the FBS, so let's not throw the FCS under the bus - that's not the issue nor the solution here. 

not criticizing fcs...just trying to put it into perspective.  to the average fan ndac playing a team like jacksonville (al) is no different than seeing mount union playing an alphabet school on espn3 on a saturday afternoon at a soccer stadium in a town no one has ever heard of.  

7 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

They basically just choose not to comply with Title IX.  The have nearly 3 men's scholarships for every women's scholarship.  At every other school in the country the ratio is 1.1.  UND and every other FCS school would have a ton of money to plug back into their football programs if they didn't offer scholarships or fund sports like women's hockey and women's swimming and diving.  If there are any UND attorneys out there looking for a case where they can make a ton of money this is probably where it is.  The settlement when this blows up against them will be huge and probably would cripple their athletic department for a decade at a minimum.  It's why they can't go FBS, any conference that sees that ratio would want nothing to do with them as they would know it's only a matter of time until that shoe drops.

so true...i don't think und has an inferiority complex in any way... i will take our athletic departement top to bottom than ndac's current male dominant athletic department.  ndac put all their eggs (more males eggs) in one basket to try to dominate fcs about 20 years too late and this underreported title nine stuff will catch up to them. 

but hey they will have all those fcs titles in the trophy case at the fargodome

38 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If NDSU makes their FBS aspirations known, I'm quite sure one of the FBS conferences would eventually extend an invite. Hard to say if NDSU is even interested in moving up, though. 

It's unlikely it's that easy without a bunch of dominoes falling first. They (or any Dakota school) is anywhere near a bus ride for any conference out there. 

43 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Never suggested that........ but living in Fargo and watching the NDSU playoff games I have little doubt UND would have been just as or more competitive vs SU than any team they actually played on the way to the title.

They played and they were not competitive (did anyone else watch that game?).  UND is a long way from a title contender (not saying you were making this claim).

The gap between the top of FCS and teams that simply make the playoffs is significant.

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

6.7.8 in a row. NDSU needs to somehow capitalize on all this success. Otherwise all this success will be a distant memory.

8 national championships in a row would certainly be a distant memory for a Bison football fan - about 30 years from 2019!

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

That's easy to say.

Edited by Gothmog

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Totally disagree on this.  The MWC would take a Texas school like Rice, UTEP, UTSA, Texas St or North Texas or even UCDAVIS well before they'd invite NDSU.  Even Wichita St with a fledging FBS program might have a shot.  Montana and NDSU would be laughed off the table with MWC presidents.

The MAC doesn't need anybody, but if they did they would go with JMU, Delaware, Stony Brook, Albany and even Fordham before they would look west.

56 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

They basically just choose not to comply with Title IX.  The have nearly 3 men's scholarships for every women's scholarship.  At every other school in the country the ratio is 1.1.  UND and every other FCS school would have a ton of money to plug back into their football programs if they didn't offer scholarships or fund sports like women's hockey and women's swimming and diving.  If there are any UND attorneys out there looking for a case where they can make a ton of money this is probably where it is.  The settlement when this blows up against them will be huge and probably would cripple their athletic department for a decade at a minimum.  It's why they can't go FBS, any conference that sees that ratio would want nothing to do with them as they would know it's only a matter of time until that shoe drops.

They will need to start women's lax, women's hockey, and equestrian so they don't get crossed off a list just for Title IX.