SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

12 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Any chance Klieman lands an FBS gig for next year?

When you go undefeated on your way to a third championship in a row and the best you can do is a head coach at Wyoming.

Kleiman's phone might ring but it probably won't be anything he would want to take.

Kleiman has only proved he can keep steering the boat straight. If Kleiman can win more championships at NDSU than Bohl his phone might ring more.

I think a good example of why NDSU wins and some of these high flying teams don't win are the little things.  Like on that punt early in the game where the ball hit around the 25 yard line or so and bounced towards the goal line.......the Jacksonville guy half assed downing the ball before going in the end zone and it rolled into the end zone.  Instead of NDSU getting the ball on the 3 they got it at the 20. If NDSU was covering that punt (or hopefully UND for that matter) they would have made a better effort to down the ball and they would have.  Some of these high flying teams think they have the natural talent to just win.  You do have to have good talent, but if you have to have a good defense and play sound fundamental football across the board, and nobody does it better than NDSU right now. 

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I think the fact that Bohl built the monster would have a bigger impact. Klieman inherited a pretty nice job. He could very well be a great coach (I have no idea), but I think he'll need to prove himself a few more years if he wants a good HC opportunity.

He already proved himself with this title. Young team and still win. He may get a G5 offer if there are any good places looking for a coach

2 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

He already proved himself with this title. Young team and still win. He may get a G5 offer if there are any good places looking for a coach

I think he's got a better chance at a good job than Bohl because he has high character, is younger, and the NDSU brand is now established as truly legit to people outside of ND. 

6 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

He ESPN mobile website shows how big this game was to the nation. Not even one mention. FCS is a niche league even though there is nothing wrong with winning 5 titles. That will simply be legendary feat in FCS football that won't be matched again.

Exactly......and there are even some on this site that claim our D2 FB title is more substantial and significant than our 7 D1 hockey titles.

55 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The main difference between UND and NDSU is that when we talk about our greatness its in the past. NDSU fans get to talk about the present. This needs to change.

And the change can't happen soon enough. 

6 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Congrats Bison but like the Packers ur time is over & a new Era is beginning Fighting Hawks Football

While Fighting Hawks FB may be on the rise (and I think Bubba has it going in the right direction), the gap is still large and not closing that fast. This is a VERY young NDSU team that just won their 5th in a row, and they are still for the most part getting the pick of the litter in FCS level talent recruits. I for one at the beginning of the year thought the streak would die at 4. Now I think they can make it at least 6. 

9 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

While Fighting Hawks FB may be on the rise (and I think Bubba has it going in the right direction), the gap is still large and not closing that fast. This is a VERY young NDSU team that just won their 5th in a row, and they are still for the most part getting the pick of the litter in FCS level talent recruits. I for one at the beginning of the year thought the streak would die at 4. Now I think they can make it at least 6. 

6.7.8 in a row. NDSU needs to somehow capitalize on all this success. Otherwise all this success will be a distant memory. 

I'm surprised there hasn't been a bigger push to somehow increase capacity/build a new stadium/position itself for FBS.  If they had a 30,000+ seat stadium and winning all these titles, the discussion would be a lot different. But instead it's like "OK cool. Now what? Nothing. Try it again next year." And just waiting for others to "catch up."

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

6.7.8 in a row. NDSU needs to somehow capitalize on all this success. Otherwise all this success will be a distant memory. 

I'm surprised there hasn't been a bigger push to somehow increase capacity/build a new stadium/position itself for FBS.  If they had a 30,000+ seat stadium and winning all these titles, the discussion would be a lot different. But instead it's like "OK cool. Now what? Nothing. Try it again next year." And just waiting for others to "catch up."

Isn't that sad that after 5 titles they are still wondering "now what?". It will be devastating to their programs if they don't continue this success. Will the fans continue to support the team after a few losing seasons? What happens if UND rises to the top of the FCS and someday knocks the bison off? Will they wish they would have moved up the FBS while they may have had a chance? They will always have this history of success but what do they do when their present is not so bright? They would be better off with losing seasons at the FBS level than the FCS level.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think he's got a better chance at a good job than Bohl because he has high character, is younger, and the NDSU brand is now established as truly legit to people outside of ND. 

Truly legit to people outside of ND?

maybe to the people of Frisco and Plano and the FCS fanbases that actually care. No one in the country cares about these 5 titles just like I don't care about the D2 or D3 titles because they are at a level below what my team is. I do agree his resume is stacked more than others applying for an G5 FCS job. Will losing good coach after good coach eventually bring the dynasty down?

5 in a row is truly unprecedented. 

NDSU honestly should consider a move-up to FBS; either Sun Belt or MAC. They are far too good of a program right now to miss out on FBS membership. Big 12 talk is intriguing, but NDSU doesn't have the stadium capacity to fit into that conference it appears. 

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

By most accounts Auburn is about the 20th or so best team in all of college football this season.

And what accounts are THOSE?  Auburn was 6-6 headed into their bowl game with Memphis.  7-6 is now considered about "20th best" in the country?  Mark Richt was shown the door at Georgia - for finishing 9-3. 

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

5 in a row is truly unprecedented. 

NDSU honestly should consider a move-up to FBS; either Sun Belt or MAC. They are far too good of a program right now to miss out on FBS membership. Big 12 talk is intriguing, but NDSU doesn't have the stadium capacity to fit into that conference it appears. 

Smallest stadiums in the Big 12 are 50,000+. If they built it, would enough people come?

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

And what accounts are THOSE?  Auburn was 6-6 headed into their bowl game with Memphis.  7-6 is now considered about "20th best" in the country?  Mark Richt was shown the door at Georgia - for finishing 9-3. 

I should have said probably averages out to about the 25th best team in all of college football as Massey and Sagarin. All of Auburns losses were to teams ranked in the top 20.

My point isn't about how good Auburn may or may not be. It's about how NDSU just destroyed a pretty darn good football team, Jacksonville St, who went undefeated except for an OT loss to Auburn.