SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

I'm going to have to take the following as a message from above...well at least from UND's Administration.

I received an email from the University today talking about the nickname, Homecoming and the UND Law School ribbon cutting ceremony.  In this email it mentioned John Odegard would receive the state's highest honor.  When I clicked on the link, lo and behold, it said he had won the Rough Rider Award!  Who knew? :D

http://webapp.und.edu/dept/our/uletter/?p=56703

Edited by Blackheart

Why is it so difficult to choose a nickname?  I think this is why:  Nicknames are silly, stupid, lame, passe`, and even politically incorrect. All animal names are lame.  We aren't hawks!  We are not weather phenomenon!  Do we really need to use the nickname of a Grand Forks high school?  Where does it say a school must have a nickname?  We are North Dakota!  We are proud hearty hard-working industrious intelligent good people. The interlocking ND is a great logo. We are North Dakota, period.  No silly stupid lame nickname can top that!  "North Dakota" has served us well for the last few years. Not having a nickname is classy.  It does not diminish us.  It elevates us. I wish we were not forced to have a nickname.

• Upvote 2

When the football team runs on the field , the announcer will say.....  Here coms the Fighting Hawks or Hawks...Here comes the Sundogs or Dogs.. Here comes the Roughriders or Riders...Here comes the Nodaks or Daks...   Here comes the North Stars or Stars....    What is everyones  favorite based on that perspective. 

It has been interesting to see the comments in this category around their nickname choices, but I want to switch gears to see what people think regarding the voting numbers.  We already know that there are just over 80000 eligible voters.  I had guessed 75-100K so I hit that close.  My issues are what people may think will be the percentages, and actual voters, on the first ballot.  Here is my guess without putting the names attached to avoid that criticism.  This is just about the vote total.  I will give my reasoning afterwards.

I think there will be 40000 voters.

Nickname A: 27%

Nickname B: 24%

Nickname C: 20%

Nickname D: 16%

Nickname E: 13%

I personally think 40000 is a generous number and would not be surprised to see 28-30K due to apathy regarding the drop of the "no nickname" option.  Obviously, I feel none of the existing nickname options will get close to 50%, and I think the top two put together will barely eclipse that total.  This means that there will be less then 2000 votes separating the #1 from #2 and #2 from #3.  This should send shivers up the back of any person that is extremely attached to any of the names, as I feel any of the names could end up in the final two.  I have my guess what the final two will be, and based on that I believe the second round of voting will actually have as many, if not a higher total voter count than the first round.  There is no stipulation that you must vote in the first round to vote in the second round.  What bothers me is that decisions that were made have created more apathy to vote than the nicknames being so good to get a high voter turnout.  I know this will be spun like this was not a big issue to the fans by the media, but that is not the case and this is why this process has been so bad.  I hope the media reports on this and actually gets voter opinions and actually numbers to back them up.

I am picking NoDaks in the hope we can add "Fighting" before it to make it flow better with "University of North Dakota." This is the choice that does the best job of honoring the past (Fighting Sioux) while representing the current and the future. Whether we are Sioux, Ojibwe, Arikira, European, African, etc... we are all NoDaks if we support University of North Dakota Athletics. I don't think the name brings along a negative connotation and there can be creative logo possibilities created in conjunction with the interlocking "ND." In reality, they will always be the Fighting Sioux to me. It was engrained in me since I was very young. But if I must choose, I will pick the name that best represents who we are and also pays respect to the past. NoDaks is the only clear cut choice in that regard.

• Upvote 1

When the football team runs on the field , the announcer will say.....  Here coms the Fighting Hawks or Hawks...Here comes the Sundogs or Dogs.. Here comes the Roughriders or Riders...Here comes the Nodaks or Daks...   Here comes the North Stars or Stars....    What is everyones  favorite based on that perspective. 

It's been a long time since I've been to a football game, but why wouldn't the announcer say the full name?  He didn't say 'Fighting Sioux?'  But anyways, I think Riders is the clear choice based on this.  Daks is obviously the worst.

• Upvote 1

Riders.  If Thunder the Bleacher Creature is brought back under "Nodaks", I could be swayed.  

I am proud to say I was in student senate when this was brought to the Senate for funding. I am happy to say I was one of the ones who killed this embarrassment to UND as far as funding it.....unfortunately they found another source.

Thoughts?

https://www.change.org/p/reinstate-the-university-of-north-dakota-north-dakota-nickname/u/13802196?tk=bUW2_nQek1-Trzn2TKYsb_qHZjUnnkQpqLjZ4gaoeq4&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

I would like to see people send this email if you were in favor of keeping The University of North Dakota as our name....whether as a permanent name like a few wanted or until another name organically moves to the front and makes sense like many were in favor of.

If you do this and still feel inclined to vote I am fine with that as that way you can protect UND against the truly awful  choices on the ballot and at the same time let them know you are not happy with the whole mess of a process that got us here.

I am picking NoDaks in the hope we can add "Fighting" before it to make it flow better with "University of North Dakota." This is the choice that does the best job of honoring the past (Fighting Sioux) while representing the current and the future. Whether we are Sioux, Ojibwe, Arikira, European, African, etc... we are all NoDaks if we support University of North Dakota Athletics. I don't think the name brings along a negative connotation and there can be creative logo possibilities created in conjunction with the interlocking "ND." In reality, they will always be the Fighting Sioux to me. It was engrained in me since I was very young. But if I must choose, I will pick the name that best represents who we are and also pays respect to the past. NoDaks is the only clear cut choice in that regard.

Well said!

Thoughts?

https://www.change.org/p/reinstate-the-university-of-north-dakota-north-dakota-nickname/u/13802196?tk=bUW2_nQek1-Trzn2TKYsb_qHZjUnnkQpqLjZ4gaoeq4&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

I would like to see people send this email if you were in favor of keeping The University of North Dakota as our name....whether as a permanent name like a few wanted or until another name organically moves to the front and makes sense like many were in favor of.

If you do this and still feel inclined to vote I am fine with that as that way you can protect UND against the truly awful  choices on the ballot and at the same time let them know you are not happy with the whole mess of a process that got us here.

My first tthought after reading this is...OMG,  Sundogs is going to win!! God help us fans that love sports and about puke to the thought of our favorite team being called the Sundogs!

Why is it so difficult to choose a nickname?  I think this is why:  Nicknames are silly, stupid, lame, passe`, and even politically incorrect. All animal names are lame.  We aren't hawks!  We are not weather phenomenon!  Do we really need to use the nickname of a Grand Forks high school?  Where does it say a school must have a nickname?  We are North Dakota!  We are proud hearty hard-working industrious intelligent good people. The interlocking ND is a great logo. We are North Dakota, period.  No silly stupid lame nickname can top that!  "North Dakota" has served us well for the last few years. Not having a nickname is classy.  It does not diminish us.  It elevates us. I wish we were not forced to have a nickname.

Conform or be cast out.

I will also be voting for Nodaks. Nodaks was for a time a second name to Sioux. Going with Nodaks will accommodate fans still viewing the teams as the Sioux (unofficially) if they so desire with more continuity with tradition than any of the other choices. It is also the best choice for those who preferred no new name at all.

Edited by TBR
  • Upvote 2

I'm on board for Nodaks.I was in the Roughrider camp because of the connection to the state (Roughrider Award, The Roughrider State) but now I'm agreeing that Nodaks is really the only truly unique name that no other school has. As far as what the icon will be that matches the name I'll leave that to the creative experts. I really don't buy into the "but other schools will make fun of us if we choose this name" thinking because any name is open to that. And the reality is whatever name is chosen will grow on us so all those who don't like Nodaks will eventually get over it. I do think it will be a long time until you no longer hear or see "Fighting Sioux" at games. I also know that like many I have enough Fighting Sioux stuff that I have no need/desire to invest in a new wardrobe with a name that I can't relate to. Doesn't mean I won't support the school but it won't be by spending my dollars on the new nickname. 

I really don't think there will be high voter participation. If you think about alumni and students a majority went to UND for their education and have no interest.in sports.   

• Downvote 1

I'm on board for Nodaks.I was in the Roughrider camp because of the connection to the state (Roughrider Award, The Roughrider State) but now I'm agreeing that Nodaks is really the only truly unique name that no other school has. As far as what the icon will be that matches the name I'll leave that to the creative experts. I really don't buy into the "but other schools will make fun of us if we choose this name" thinking because any name is open to that. And the reality is whatever name is chosen will grow on us so all those who don't like Nodaks will eventually get over it. I do think it will be a long time until you no longer hear or see "Fighting Sioux" at games. I also know that like many I have enough Fighting Sioux stuff that I have no need/desire to invest in a new wardrobe with a name that I can't relate to. Doesn't mean I won't support the school but it won't be by spending my dollars on the new nickname. 

I really don't think there will be high voter participation. If you think about alumni and students a majority went to UND for their education and have no interest.in sports.   

I wonder why no other school has the nickname the "nodaks" and I also wonder how schools like north Carolina and south Carolina and south Dakota didnt' come up with nocars, socars, and sodaks?

I wonder why no other school has the nickname the "nodaks" and I also wonder how schools like north Carolina and south Carolina and south Dakota didnt' come up with nocars, socars, and sodaks?

Must be a weird coincidence that 2 of the 3 also have one of their state's nickname as the school's nickname (UNC and USD).