SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

just saw on sunday night football a clip of a what looks to a be a high school who looked like they might be nicknamed the fighting irish in what looks to be in an area where the university of notre dame fighting irish are...must be confusing to the locals around there.

Yet somehow none of us knew!  Funny how that works when you are trying to create a national brand, and not worried about local confusion.  

before anyone votes tomorrow i hope they ask themselves which of these five will make und the most $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for all of our d1 teams...not the one that sticks it to the ncaa, not one gives you a warm nostalgic feeling inside, not the one that makes tom dennis/shakespeare cry....the one that makes und the most money to fund our team going forward.

This makes sense.....not!

check out brad schlossmans hack piece pretty much calling teddy roosevelt a bigot and racist...start with that article

So Brad's article is a hack piece because it points out the fact that Teddy Roosevelt was in fact a bigot and a racist?

Edited by petey23

So Brad's article is a hack piece because it points out the fact that Teddy Roosevelt was in fact a bigot and a racist?

Then where is his outrage, and yours for that matter in North Dakota giving out the Roughrider Award as the highest honor in the state?  ... that's what I thought.  

i wish i knew at least a little bit of what the proposed logos for each nickname would be. riders is easy enough to imagine but nodaks could go in about 10 million ways. Going with just the interlocking ND might hinder merchandise sale in the long term but who knows at this point.

i wish i knew at least a little bit of what the proposed logos for each nickname would be. riders is easy enough to imagine but nodaks could go in about 10 million ways. Going with just the interlocking ND might hinder merchandise sale in the long term but who knows at this point.

With the continued confusion with Notre Dame, making the interlocking ND the primary logo would be a terrible mistake.

• Upvote 2

Wish I liked Rough Riders enough to vote for it the first day. Will most likely vote for it on Friday. Unless it comes out that Teddy also beat dogs.

You forgot to mentioned TR drowned kittens and water boarded NAs.

That's funny and sad at the same time.  I wanted to get the athletes thoughts, so I asked the men's and women's hockey teams.

That is who he covers.   Miller covers football, etc.  The other reporters may be following up with those sports.  Who knows.  He's reaching out to those he has a rapport with and who will likely be willing to share their opinion with him.

I think it would be good to get opinions from other sports, and I also think it would be interesting to know if these opinions would be different from sport to sport, and if so, why.  I'm not sure they would be different....why would opinions differ by sport?   But would be interesting to see.

Edited by dagies

It is too bad we don't have "North Dakota" (no nickname as an option).  The best alternate choice is "North Stars."  North Dakota North Stars!  It does roll off your tongue.  And, it could be "Stars" for a short version.  Too bad Minnesota is known as the "North Star" state.  But then again, Grand Forks Red River High School is known as the Rough Riders.  

Edited by NeedHockey
Added Logo
  • Downvote 1