SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Actually there was no Illini tribe at all, which is why they got a pass from the NCAA because they could not get acceptance from them since they did not exist and argued that Illini was "all Illinois people".  The NCAA said fine as long as you get rid of Chief Illiniwek we will take you off the list.  I personally hated that decision since there were a group of Representatives who was going to introduce a bill which would have likely stopped all of this PC nonsense at the very beginning.  Just making sure the facts are out there.

The Illinois Confederation is referred to as both the Illini or Illiniwek but there is not a specific Illini tribe as the Confederation is made up of a handful of different tribes.  Because the name came about a century or so ago, there is no definitive source on where it comes from or what it specifically referred to.  Illinois's own website confirms this (see below).  Illinois however did use the reasoning you mentioned and the dropping of Chief Illiniwek was the compromise in order to keep the name.

When it was developed, did the term "Fighting Illini" refer to Native Americans?
The question is open to interpretation. The time period during which the "Fighting Illini" nickname developed coincided with the use of Native American imagery, usually in a romantic style. Therefore, it is not surprising that Native American imagery was sometimes associated with the Stadium Drive campaign and its slogan. Here are some examples.

some states it just works better with.  Illinois Illini and Utah Utes seems to work well for them.  Maryland Marys or West Virginia Virgins probably wouldn't pass, though.

Nodaks has worked for UND in the past.  It leaves open a lot of possibilities when it comes to mascots and themes.    I was leaning Fighting Hawks with Nodaks as my second choice, but with the support it sounds like Nodaks is gathering, i'll be voting Nodaks.

So you will be voting based on what other people will vote?

Actually there was no Illini tribe at all, which is why they got a pass from the NCAA because they could not get acceptance from them since they did not exist and argued that Illini was "all Illinois people".  The NCAA said fine as long as you get rid of Chief Illiniwek we will take you off the list.  I personally hated that decision since there were a group of Representatives who was going to introduce a bill which would have likely stopped all of this PC nonsense at the very beginning.  Just making sure the facts are out there.

Actually, I do believe that there is a group called the Illini - they were relocated to Oklahoma

The Peoria Tribe of Oklahoma are descendants of the Kaskaskia, 
Peoria, Piankeshaw and Wea tribes, a group of tribes known as Illiniwek,
or Illini, or Illinois nations.  Their members were removed from their 
homelands in Illinois and forced to move first to Missouri, then Kansas
and finally into the northeastern part of Indian Territory, now Oklahoma.

Edited by FSSD

Set up a poll on the CSNBBS realignment board for posters of other schools to pick the next UND nickname.

Results were:

Rough Riders 53%

NoDaks 19%

Sun Dogs 17%

Fighting Hawks 9%

North Stars 2%

So without much Bison or Gopher influence, the rest of the country sees Rough Riders as a  wise choice to represent UND.

Some agreed that there wasn't much choice.  Others said Sun Dogs sounded like a minor league baseball team's nickname.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I do believe that there is a group called the Illini - they were relocated to Oklahoma

The Peoria Tribe of Oklahoma are descendants of the Kaskaskia, 
Peoria, Piankeshaw and Wea tribes, a group of tribes known as Illiniwek,
or Illini, or Illinois nations.  Their members were removed from their 
homelands in Illinois and forced to move first to Missouri, then Kansas
and finally into the northeastern part of Indian Territory, now Oklahoma.

I have no arguments with you or JDubs statements, but just wanted to state what Illinois argued was their reasoning.  I had friends who went to Illinois that laughed about what they did to the NCAA.  In fact, please look up that they have used Chief Illiniwek in homecoming parades since this decision and the NCAA has looked the other direction.  I am sure the university would say that they did not approve of it, but it was used in a university sanctioned event.  I wanted to point out that they are very different from Utah, as the Piute tribe gave them approval to use Utes.

Set up a poll on the CSNBBS realignment board for posters of other schools to pick the next UND nickname.

Results were:

Rough Riders 53%

NoDaks 19%

Sun Dogs 17%

Fighting Hawks 9%

North Stars 2%

So without much Bison or Gopher influence, the rest of the country sees Rough Riders as a  wise choice to represent UND.

Some agreed that there wasn't much choice.  Others said Sun Dogs sounded like a minor league baseball team's nickname.

as much talk of nodaks trending and fighting hawks being a hot one too...it seems that most polls in the last few months seem to have RR winning everytime and sometimes easily.

as much talk of nodaks trending and fighting hawks being a hot one too...it seems that most polls in the last few months seem to have RR winning everytime and sometimes easily.

ThE vote is almost impossible to predict.  With the Herald coming out in favor of Sun Dogs and Berry choosing NoDaks and some of the Grand Forks crowd against Riders, it's wide open.

I think Rider and one other for a runoff.  Hoping Sun Dogs because then Riders win.

just saw on sunday night football a clip of a what looks to a be a high school who looked like they might be nicknamed the fighting irish in what looks to be in an area where the university of notre dame fighting irish are...must be confusing to the locals around there.

Well, I'm still voting NoDaks.   I just don't like Roughriders and that's that.

before anyone votes tomorrow i hope they ask themselves which of these five will make und the most $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for all of our d1 teams...not the one that sticks it to the ncaa, not one gives you a warm nostalgic feeling inside, not the one that makes tom dennis/shakespeare cry....the one that makes und the most money to fund our team going forward.

before anyone votes tomorrow i hope they ask themselves which of these five will make und the most $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for all of our d1 teams...not the one that sticks it to the ncaa, not one gives you a warm nostalgic feeling inside, not the one that makes tom dennis/shakespeare cry....the one that makes und the most money to fund our team going forward.

then Nodaks it is!!!  

Not a real applicable comparison since there is both an Illini and Utes tribe from which the nickname was either partially or directly derived from.

I was replying to someone giving the examples of Socars, Nocars, and Sodaks.   so yes, my reply was indeed applicable, as the conversation had nothing to do with tribal affiliations. 

• Upvote 1

Nodaks is not going to win. I will say it right now....it will not finish in the top two. The top two will be Roughriders (which is a popular choice despite all the brazen attempts to slander it) and Fighting Hawks (because of the "Fighting", not because of the "Hawks"). And I could live with either of those.

I am voting Roughriders....the Climax-Fisher Rule notwithstanding.

You think Roughriders has been slandered a lot compared to what now?

• Upvote 1

I don't need to read your link to know every choice left has been attacked by somebody somewhere.  You don't need to convince me that RR is a victim of attack.  I was just questioning why a poster singled out RR as if none of the others experiences the same treatment.