SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

I really think choosing a name without knowing what the logo will be is very difficult.  If the hawk in the feathers was the logo I think Fighting Hawks wins easily (UND BIZ: please tell us one more time that there is no chance).  Think of the Fighting Sioux logos...Blackhawk logo and Ben Brien's logo were awesome while the geometric logo was very lame.  Every nickname can be upgraded with a great logo and can be downgraded with a poor logo.  Who will determine the logo of the winning name?  Will there be another vote on this?  Scary to think of what logo may be chosen by the same pin heads that gave us these 5 finalists for names!

Disagree, there are plenty who like it, but plenty who don't. Personally, I think its absolutely hideous. Though I completely agree that every name can be upgraded with a logo. It is the one thing that has me somewhat on board with Roughriders.

I'm going Nodaks or Roughriders.

I really think choosing a name without knowing what the logo will be is very difficult.  If the hawk in the feathers was the logo I think Fighting Hawks wins easily (UND BIZ: please tell us one more time that there is no chance). 

If you insist. ;)

A little clarification from the Small Business Administration, https://www.sba.gov/blogs/difference-between-trade-name-and-trademark-and-why-you-cant-overlook-either.

Remember, the former mayor owns the trade names, not the trademarks. Therefore his rights are not unlimited. He does not control the names for all uses, he controls them as trade names for real estate companies. Seems like a lot of work to accomplish nothing.

Simply put, a trade name is the official name under which a company does business. It is also known as a “doing business as” name, assumed name, or fictitious name. A trade name does not afford any brand name protection or provide you with unlimited rights for the use of that name. However, registering a trade name is an important step for some – but not all – businesses (more on this below).

A trademark is used to protect your brand name and can also be associated with your trade name. A trademark can also protect symbols, logos and slogans. Your name is one of your most valuable business assets, so it’s worth protecting.

An important reason to distinguish between trade names and trademarks is that if a business starts to use its trade name to identify products and services, it could be perceived that the trade name is now functioning as a trademark, which could potentially infringe on existing trademarks.

Just another point of reference as to how utterly stupid the whole process has been.  From the date the name was retired to now, one could not have purposefully and intentionally programmed a bigger clusterf$@&.  So many PhD's.  So many advisers.  So many paid consultants.  So much money.  So many focus groups.  This is what everyone got for it.  

Edited by Chewey
  • Upvote 1

Just another point of reference as to how utterly stupid the whole process has been.  From the date the name was retired to now, one could not have purposefully and intentionally programmed a bigger clusterf$@&.  So many PhD's.  So many advisers.  So many paid consultants.  So much money.  So many focus groups.  This is what everyone got for it.  

Yes, It is the fault of the administration not to take all precautions for making sure some idiot didn't do something that has nothing to do with legally obtaining the rights to using a particular name!! :)

• Upvote 3

that hawk with the headdress logo is too obvious and doesn't really look like a bird, but I think something could be done that resembles more of a hawk's natural look with feathers, that still reminds/resembles the shape and coloring of the old logo without the PCers crying "fowl".

I don't think white guys toting guns on horseback will pass the PC test. 

I find it interesting that folks are talking about feathers on logos being not acceptable, with some of the same people using scare tactics, but have been silent about Tomek's helmet.  Have these same people not seen his new helmet design?  I am not voting for Fighting Hawks, but it will be sad to see what the designs actually are if we try to make everyone happy.

I find it interesting that folks are talking about feathers on logos being not acceptable, with some of the same people using scare tactics, but have been silent about Tomek's helmet.  Have these same people not seen his new helmet design?  I am not voting for Fighting Hawks, but it will be sad to see what the designs actually are if we try to make everyone happy.

Designs on a goalies helmet, official logo for the University....yeah, that's the same thing!! :)

I all seriousness,  if Fighting Hawks is selected, there is no way the NCAA is going to get after UND for using feathers in a logo for a nickname that is a bird...with feathers!!

Designs on a goalies helmet, official logo for the University....yeah, that's the same thing!! :)

I all seriousness,  if Fighting Hawks is selected, there is no way the NCAA is going to get after UND for using feathers in a logo for a nickname that is a bird...with feathers!!

Actually, based on the talk of the people on this site in accordance with what they believe regarding what will get us sanctioned, Tomek's helmet would put us in that category.  And yes, if a goalie put the Brien logo on his helmet, that would be an issue.  I do not have a problem with his helmet, I just do not like hypocrisy.

• Upvote 1

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2015/10/grand-forks-herald-former-bismarck.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FZTZqA+(Goon's+World)

I have attempted to stay out of the toxic thread however this was too much Goon.  Fighting Hawks!  You have to be kidding me.  This is getting worse than I could have ever imagined.  :)

• Upvote 1

Disagree, there are plenty who like it, but plenty who don't. Personally, I think its absolutely hideous.

99% of the Fighting Sioux crowd love it.  If the Fighting Sioux name, without any NCAA sanctions, was put up against the other 5 names in a mythical election it would win in a landslide of 90% or more.  That said, it's a slam dunk that if this Fighting Hawk logo were to become the official logo, that name would win easily.  I personally like it because it not only looks cool but is a very easy transition from the last logo to this logo.  REA (and a lot of UND fans gear) would not look out of date as it will with any other logo.  There is no way the NCAA could have sanctions against this logo as a bird with feathers can have feathers.  I don't think the powers that be will have the stomach to incorporate this logo because they are tired of the controversy but it would be awesome if they did have the guts to pursue this as it is truly a great logo.  I also realize that it may be copyrighted but a few adjustments would take care of that (see Black Hawks logo and the logo we had pre 1992, same but feathers different colors)

I don't think the powers that be will have the stomach to incorporate this logo because they are tired of the controversy but it would be awesome if they did have the guts to pursue this as it is truly a great logo.  I also realize that it may be copyrighted but a few adjustments would take care of that (see Black Hawks logo and the logo we had pre 1992, same but feathers different colors) .

At least your honest about wanting to cling onto the Fighting Sioux name but it takes a little bit more than a few "adjustments".  That exact logo has already successfully defended its copyright against a team that made a few adjustments (see below).  While not positive, I do believe that there was some sort of agreement between UND and Chicago for use of the Blackhawks logo.

url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0CAYQjBww

I really think choosing a name without knowing what the logo will be is very difficult.  If the hawk in the feathers was the logo I think Fighting Hawks wins easily (UND BIZ: please tell us one more time that there is no chance).  Think of the Fighting Sioux logos...Blackhawk logo and Ben Brien's logo were awesome while the geometric logo was very lame.  Every nickname can be upgraded with a great logo and can be downgraded with a poor logo.  Who will determine the logo of the winning name?  Will there be another vote on this?  Scary to think of what logo may be chosen by the same pin heads that gave us these 5 finalists for names!

Welcome aboard.

99% of the Fighting Sioux crowd love it.  If the Fighting Sioux name, without any NCAA sanctions, was put up against the other 5 names in a mythical election it would win in a landslide of 90% or more.  That said, it's a slam dunk that if this Fighting Hawk logo were to become the official logo, that name would win easily.  I personally like it because it not only looks cool but is a very easy transition from the last logo to this logo.  REA (and a lot of UND fans gear) would not look out of date as it will with any other logo.  There is no way the NCAA could have sanctions against this logo as a bird with feathers can have feathers.  I don't think the powers that be will have the stomach to incorporate this logo because they are tired of the controversy but it would be awesome if they did have the guts to pursue this as it is truly a great logo.  I also realize that it may be copyrighted but a few adjustments would take care of that (see Black Hawks logo and the logo we had pre 1992, same but feathers different colors)

There is no questioning your basis for determining that 99% of all eligible voters like that logo; I'm your you are completely accurate. :lol:  Personally, I think that logo has way to much going on. They could come up with something much better. Not that I'm opposed to incorporating something from our prior logo, thats not my issues at all. I just think this is downright ugly. Too many colors, taking up too much of the logo. It almost looks like a tropical hawk.

Regardless, the whole argument is irrelevant. Fighting Hawks won't likely win over Roughriders, and if it does UND likely won't utilize that ugly logo.

As mentioned, I'll vote for Nodaks or Roughriders.

Go Sioux!

Edited by siouxfan512

Not going to argue this at all, but to say that 99% of a fan base would base their decision to vote on a new name, because it has a few feathers that somewhat resemble the old logo seem pretty preposterous.

The truth is you could get Ben Brian to make a logo for any of the nickname options (except for sundogs because its hideous), and ask him to incorporate something subtle from the previous logo. Maybe a side profile, maybe a color scheme, maybe a feather. It doesn't mean we have to hang our hat on an ugly logo that is currently owned by someone else.

Edited by siouxfan512

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2015/10/grand-forks-herald-former-bismarck.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FZTZqA+(Goon's+World)

I have attempted to stay out of the toxic thread however this was too much Goon.  Fighting Hawks!  You have to be kidding me.  This is getting worse than I could have ever imagined.  :)

Mafia Man persuaded me. :) 

Not going to argue this at all, but to say that 99% of a fan base would base their decision to vote on a new name, because it has a few feathers that somewhat resemble the old logo seem pretty preposterous.

The truth is you could get Ben Brian to make a logo for any of the nickname options (except for sundogs because its hideous), and ask him to incorporate something subtle from the previous logo. Maybe a side profile, maybe a color scheme, maybe a feather. It doesn't mean we have to hang our hat on an ugly logo that is currently owned by someone else.

I think this is a great idea.  Paying homage to our past, but looking forward with a new name and logo for the future.  I hope that UND asks him to come up with a logo design, and I hope he wants to do it. 

I think this is a great idea.  Paying homage to our past, but looking forward with a new name and logo for the future.  I hope that UND asks him to come up with a logo design, and I hope he wants to do it. 

It has already been suggested to the appropriate people.

• 2 weeks later...