SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

, Roosevelt was quoted as saying: “I don’t go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn’t like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth.” - See more at: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=100931#comment-151680

I don't see how taking a direct quote from Teddy Roosevelt can be construed as libel or slander.   As far as people thinking he was racist, i don't think there's much argument after reading this quote.

Roosevelt was quoted as saying: “I don’t go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn’t like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth.” - See more at: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=100931#comment-151680

I don't see how taking a direct quote from Teddy Roosevelt can be construed as libel or slander.   As far as people thinking he was racist, i don't think there's much argument after reading this quote.

And he was a white male.

Then where is his outrage, and yours for that matter in North Dakota giving out the Roughrider Award as the highest honor in the state?  ... that's what I thought.  

Sometimes it just takes a little time.

Columbus Day established in 1892

Roughrider award established in 1961

Roosevelt was quoted as saying: “I don’t go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn’t like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth.” - See more at: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=100931#comment-151680

And he was a white male.

it also isn't slander because he's dead

Maybe this is the long con?

UND chooses Roughriders for name.

They incorporate Roosevelt into the marketing/logo/etc.

The Native American's already upset that the NCAA and UND removed Fighting Sioux start protesting at UND events and march on Indianapolis to draw attention to the hypocrisy and racist insensitivity of the NCAA and by force UND.

NCAA acquiesces and orders UND to return to Fighting Sioux.

Profit!

• Upvote 1

Maybe this is the long con?

UND chooses Roughriders for name.

They incorporate Roosevelt into the marketing/logo/etc.

The Native American's already upset that the NCAA and UND removed Fighting Sioux start protesting at UND events and march on Indianapolis to draw attention to the hypocrisy and racist insensitivity of the NCAA and by force UND.

NCAA acquiesces and orders UND to return to Fighting Sioux.

Profit!

Sweet!

This might be a bit late for posting, but if UND were to pick Roughriders as its new nickname, it really doesn't have to have any ties with Teddy Roosevelt.  Below is the logo that the Southern McLean High School Roughriders uses on their uniforms in Washburn, North Dakota.  I think that it's a pretty cool logo.

Southern McLean High School Roughriders.JPG

This might be a bit late for posting, but if UND were to pick Roughriders as its new nickname, it really doesn't have to have any ties with Teddy Roosevelt.  Below is the logo that the Southern McLean High School Roughriders uses on their uniforms in Washburn, North Dakota.  I think that it's a pretty cool logo.

Southern McLean High School Roughriders.JPG

It is a pretty cool logo.  I guess I wouldn't mind a "Teddy" logo, however, at least for an alternate logo or, finally, a real life mascot!

On another note, as some posters have stated, this logo could very well be used if Nodaks was selected.  That's one of the things that has intrigued me about Nodaks over the past few days.

• Upvote 1

if RR, I like the idea of Teddy-less logos.   Not that I have anything against Teddy, but I prefer that this evoke the image of a roughrider in general, rather than 1 man.  Someone else said it and I agree, Teddy-like logos look cartoonish.  I think more general associations lead to better logo opportunities

if RR, I like the idea of Teddy-less logos.   Not that I have anything against Teddy, but I prefer that this evoke the image of a roughrider in general, rather than 1 man.  Someone else said it and I agree, Teddy-like logos look cartoonish.  I think more general associations lead to better logo opportunities

Yeah, imagine a Brien-style serious cowboy face as a logo (I'm essentially picturing the Sioux head, but a cowboy). I think I could really like that. To be fair, that could also work for Nodaks.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, imagine a Brien-style serious cowboy face as a logo (I'm essentially picturing the Sioux head, but a cowboy). I think I could really like that. To be fair, that could also work for Nodaks.

Someone take the Sioux logo and make up a modified logo to represent Roughriders.  Remove the feathers and replace them with a cowboy hat, lighten up the skin, change the hair color, etc.  I am sure there are some creative people out there that can do that!! Curious to see what that would look like!!

Someone take the Sioux logo and make up a modified logo to represent Roughriders.  Remove the feathers and replace them with a cowboy hat, lighten up the skin, change the hair color, etc.  I am sure there are some creative people out there that can do that!! Curious to see what that would look like!!

Id like to see this also, great idea!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRXEAGcqUImkwMT79caH4

Frankly, I would like to see a few logos.  Maybe one with the rider with the sword shown above, one with the horses head like Cedar Rapids then you could intermingle them as front of the jersey logos and arm patches.  Wouldn't mind seeing the crossed sabers as arm patches, but don't know if that would fly or not. Maybe if you create a logo with the ND and the crossed sabers combined.  

Edited by tnt