SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Got my email to tell me my voting link is coming this week. The picture has a bunch of fans in Sioux jersey's... Love it.

Fighting Hawks..........or............Nodaks.

Man it's tough to decide.

I noticed it instructs anyone voting for Sundogs or roughriders to wait until November to cast their vote.

• Upvote 4

I was leaning Roughriders but now am firmly in the Nodaks camp.  It is unique and we have some history using it.

I feel the same about Nodaks, but.....but, what if the Nodak and Fighting Hawk crowds thin themselves out of it and leave it to the RR or worse the Sundog crowds?

Not trying to be a dyck to any RR supporters, but this does have me torn.

Got my email to tell me my voting link is coming this week. The picture has a bunch of fans in Sioux jersey's... Love it.

Fighting Hawks..........or............Nodaks.

Man it's tough to decide.

Has anyone else received their emails? I updated both mine and my wife information through the website, but have not received anything yet!

You people need to move past the north stars and the bashing we would receive for using it.. We were once the sue, suzies for example... If you cant make a comeback of your own to put someone in their place then stay home... We are more north than the cities anyways... Also, its the state of ten thousand lakes, not the north stars.. We have north in our name already for christ sakes! North dakota north stars. 

You people need to move past the north stars and the bashing we would receive for using it.. We were once the sue, suzies for example... If you cant make a comeback of your own to put someone in their place then stay home... We are more north than the cities anyways... Also, its the state of ten thousand lakes, not the north stars.. We have north in our name already for christ sakes! North dakota north stars. 

Actually its that LAND of 10,000 lakes. North Stars isn't a bad name, but its a former MN hockey team and doesn't makes sense for UND. Even so, there isn't enough support for it to win.

Based on posted public opion I see the ranking as follows:

Roughriders

Fighting Hawks

Nodaks

North Stars

Sundogs

My personal opinion is as follows:

Toss up between Roughriders and Nodaks.

Fighting Hawks

North Stars

Sundogs

Surprised by how much steam Nodaks has picked up. I have been flip flopping between Nodaks and Roughriders, and am starting to lean Nodaks. Ultimately I just don't want sundogs. Would prefer not to see North Starts. I would accept Fighting Haws, but it is sooo boring. At least Nodaks and Roughriders have a regional connection.

North dakota nodaks... So in other words we would be north dakota north dakota... Lame

UND Nodaks, Fighting Nodaks, or just Nodaks doesn't sound so bad. Did you ever ask people if they were going to the North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey game? or did you ask them if they were going to the Sioux game? Did you cheer "Go North Dakota Fighting Sioux!" from your seat? or did you cheer "Go Sioux!" You can make it try to sound ridiculous, but it does have to be. I was always in the camp of just remaining UND, and this seems to be the closest option, but it gives the school something they can still brand and tie a logo to.

I'm really leaning towards Nodaks, and know several others who have moved their picks to this name. It almost seems like in the past there was some hesitation over this name because people didn't know if it was really even going to be in the mix. It has definitely picked up steam though. Roughriders wouldn't be terrible and I could live with Fighting Hawks (Boring)...

• Upvote 1