SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

if RR, I like the idea of Teddy-less logos.   Not that I have anything against Teddy, but I prefer that this evoke the image of a roughrider in general, rather than 1 man.  Someone else said it and I agree, Teddy-like logos look cartoonish.  I think more general associations lead to better logo opportunities

The marketing "experts" have known Teddy was a bad idea all along.  This is why they safeguarded against it with the generic spelling.

So the idea here is to distance ourselves from Teddy Roosevelt, yet, he is the one and only thing linking North Dakota to the Roughriders.   Hmmm....remind me again why this was even a nickname choice?  

#mindboggling

Distance?  Already about as distant a connection as it could be.

So the idea here is to distance ourselves from Teddy Roosevelt, yet, he is the one and only thing linking North Dakota to the Roughriders.   Hmmm....remind me again why this was even a nickname choice?  

#mindboggling

You seem to automatically think of Spanish American war Rough Riders, yet the main meaning of the term roughiders is found here, http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/roughrider. Every definition site is similar, the first definition is breaking or riding wild horse. The Teddy Roosevelt connection is secondary. There are (and were) a large number of roughriders in North Dakota, especially in the western part of the state. Maybe that's how people can look for a non-Teddy logo to go with the name.

roughrider Syllabification: rough·rid·er

Pronunciation: /ˈrəfˌrīdər/

(also rough rider)

Definition of roughrider in English:

noun

North American
1A person who breaks in or can ride unbroken horses.
1.1A person who rides horses a lot.

1.2 (Rough Rider) A member of the cavalry unit in which Theodore Roosevelt fought during the Spanish-American War.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You seem to automatically think of Spanish American war Rough Riders, yet the main meaning of the term roughiders is found here, http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/roughrider. Every definition site is similar, the first definition is breaking or riding wild horse. The Teddy Roosevelt connection is secondary. There are (and were) a large number of roughriders in North Dakota, especially in the western part of the state. Maybe that's how people can look for a non-Teddy logo to go with the name.

you must be new here.  I've seen thousands of posts as to why Roughriders is a "good" choice.  99% of them refer to teddy Roosevelt's Roughriders.

without the teddy connection, the name Roughriders is a horrible mouthful of a name.  It would have never made the list of finalists were it not for the imaginary North Dakota roughrider history.

so, if it is chosen, I will be disappointed if we don't play up the Teddy Roosevelt connection as much as we can.  On the logo, on banners, and mascots.   I want to see every sports venue filled with big ol' teddies.  Bully!

you must be new here.  I've seen thousands of posts as to why Roughriders is a "good" choice.  99% of them refer to teddy Roosevelt's Roughriders.

without the teddy connection, the name Roughriders is a horrible mouthful of a name.  It would have never made the list of finalists were it not for the imaginary North Dakota roughrider history.

so, if it is chosen, I will be disappointed if we don't play up the Teddy Roosevelt connection as much as we can.  On the logo, on banners, and mascots.   I want to see every sports venue filled with big ol' teddies.  Bully!

I have posted that definition, as have others.  If Roughriders wins, UND can play both angles, thus many more opportunities for marketing, alternate logos, etc.

I have more than 5 times the number of posts as you, yeah I'm new here. :blink:  You have this irrational hatred of the Roughriders nickname because you don't think there are any connections to North Dakota. Then you complain when people suggest logos that aren't related to Teddy, even though the original and most relevant definition doesn't include Teddy. Some reports have even said that the term for the military unit came from Teddy because of his time in North Dakota working with the cowboys and ranchers. Now you throw in your claim that it's a horrible mouthful of a name, even though it is less of a mouthful than Fighting Hawks, or the latest suggestion of Fighting Nodaks. We get it, you hate the name.

you're evidently new to the nickname threads and the roughrider nickname support originating from Teddy Roosevelt.  

Point is, people are now hinting at shying away from teddy as part of the logo and promotion, which is comical since he is the entire reason that name gained any steam.  He is the reason ruff riders made it this far.  Own it.  

We get it, you like the name and will draw any far fetched connection in an attempt to have it loosely make sense for UND.

I have more than 5 times the number of posts as you, yeah I'm new here. :blink:  You have this irrational hatred of the Roughriders nickname because you don't think there are any connections to North Dakota. Then you complain when people suggest logos that aren't related to Teddy, even though the original and most relevant definition doesn't include Teddy. Some reports have even said that the term for the military unit came from Teddy because of his time in North Dakota working with the cowboys and ranchers. Now you throw in your claim that it's a horrible mouthful of a name, even though it is less of a mouthful than Fighting Hawks, or the latest suggestion of Fighting Nodaks. We get it, you hate the name.

Ding ding ding, welcome to the same type of fight us on the otherside of this has had! Now you know how we feel, the Fighting Sioux lovers, the no nickname lovers, and the next best thing Nokak lovers go through everytime we make a change to a lesser of evil of what's left! But to deal with people like you and your buddies that want nothing but one name , RR! Then hear how everything else is so wrong! I just have to laugh at your complaint, its exactly what has been done to us in the last few weeks...:lol:

• Upvote 1

Ding ding ding, welcome to the same type of fight us on the otherside of this has had! Now you know how we feel, the Fighting Sioux lovers, the no nickname lovers, and the next best thing Nokak lovers go through everytime we make a change to a lesser of evil of what's left! But to deal with people like you and your buddies that want nothing but one name , RR! Then hear how everything else is so wrong! I just have to laugh at your complaint, its exactly what has been done to us in the last few weeks...:lol:

You like Nodaks and I like Roughriders
You like Fighting Hawks and I like North Stars
Nodaks, Roughriders, Fighting Hawks, North Stars.
Let's call the whole thing off

• Upvote 4

I like teddy more than any cowboy reference  but it is taken

I liked Hawks & Nodaks- either would be OK with me the rest not so much

Never was much for the cowboy lifestyle - not a country music fan either - I do like western / cowboy movies but never wanted to dress like a cowboy

I'm 6' tall 190 & a Aries if that is of interest to u also :D

I took a few days to really think it over and weigh the pros of cons of each the choices before I voted.  Finally voted today and feel great about it:

UND_Vote.thumb.jpg.df454769f546e90fd477a

Excellent choice!  Tell the hacker to replicate that vote about 70,000 times.

• Upvote 1

Just so you are not being hypocritical, are you lobbying the ND legislature to remove any Roughriders ties from the tourism and commerce departments, and rename tthe Roughrider award to a NoDak or a Fighting Hawk name?

Didn't think so.

Just so you are not being hypocritical, are you lobbying the ND legislature to remove any Roughriders ties from the tourism and commerce departments, and rename tthe Roughrider award to a NoDak or a Fighting Hawk name?

Didn't think so.

Not a bad idea.  First get the Nodak name in place, then go after any other UND references to the brutally awful "Roughriders."

There has honestly never been a time where I stood up in front of a room full of individuals and proudly declared my North Dakota heritage with an emblem or icon of a volunteer member of a US military regiment assigned to kill Spaniards in Cuba.  Yep, nothing exemplifies North Dakota more than some young rancher from a Southwest border state like Arizona or New Mexico whacking his way through the San Juan Hills to capture the city of Santiago de Cuba.  Bully!

taz