SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

I wonder why no other school has the nickname the "nodaks" and I also wonder how schools like north Carolina and south Carolina and south Dakota didnt' come up with nocars, socars, and sodaks?

Pathetic...I wanted to post, how long till one of you write this! Maybe it's unique because no other state is called North Dakota....dah..

None of the other schools you mentioned in your poor excuse for not using Nodaks had their chosen, beloved, nickname ripped from them and then have many potential names eliminated and narrowed down to five that are not the favorites of many.

It's not what you want, just write that???

Nodaks is not going to win. I will say it right now....it will not finish in the top two. The top two will be Roughriders (which is a popular choice despite all the brazen attempts to slander it) and Fighting Hawks (because of the "Fighting", not because of the "Hawks"). And I could live with either of those.

I am voting Roughriders....the Climax-Fisher Rule notwithstanding.

• Upvote 2

Pathetic...I wanted to post, how long till one of you write this! Maybe it's unique because no other state is called North Dakota....dah..

None of the other schools you mentioned in your poor excuse for not using Nodaks had their chosen, beloved, nickname ripped from them and then have many potential names eliminated and narrowed down to five that are not the favorites of many.

It's not what you want, just write that???

so you are gonna vote based on spite and anger instead of what will make UND the most money possible to fund our D1 teams...seems selfish.

• Upvote 2

I wonder why no other school has the nickname the "nodaks" and I also wonder how schools like north Carolina and south Carolina and south Dakota didnt' come up with nocars, socars, and sodaks?

Kind of a stretch in logic I think, Nodaks is a part of UND's history, it's already been used on team jerseys, I like Roughriders too but I had to choose - I see no need to diss any of the other names to make me feel better about my choice. 

some states it just works better with.  Illinois Illini and Utah Utes seems to work well for them.  Maryland Marys or West Virginia Virgins probably wouldn't pass, though.

Nodaks has worked for UND in the past.  It leaves open a lot of possibilities when it comes to mascots and themes.    I was leaning Fighting Hawks with Nodaks as my second choice, but with the support it sounds like Nodaks is gathering, i'll be voting Nodaks.

The Herald, and its reporters on facebook and twitter, are pulling out all the stops for Nodaks. 

If a few people like them who are so influential want something. They have the power to do it. 

But the editorial board endorsed Sundogs, so there is dissention even within the walls of the Heraldo.

I think it is safe to say that no name will receive 50%+1 in the initial round of voting and that this will go to a run-off.

Kind of a stretch in logic I think, Nodaks is a part of UND's history, it's already been used on team jerseys, I like Roughriders too but I had to choose - I see no need to diss any of the other names to make me feel better about my choice. 

You could say the same thing for flickertails...there is a reason why und changed away from nodaks and flickertails....$$$$$$

some states it just works better with.  Illinois Illini and Utah Utes seems to work well for them.  Maryland Marys or West Virginia Virgins probably wouldn't pass, though.

Not a real applicable comparison since there is both an Illini and Utes tribe from which the nickname was either partially or directly derived from.

Not a real applicable comparison since there is both an Illini and Utes tribe from which the nickname was either partially or directly derived from.

Actually there was no Illini tribe at all, which is why they got a pass from the NCAA because they could not get acceptance from them since they did not exist and argued that Illini was "all Illinois people".  The NCAA said fine as long as you get rid of Chief Illiniwek we will take you off the list.  I personally hated that decision since there were a group of Representatives who was going to introduce a bill which would have likely stopped all of this PC nonsense at the very beginning.  Just making sure the facts are out there.

• Upvote 1

"Logic" that's the missing thing with him. That's I don't get, if someone says like a name these few on here have to say why that is horrible and anyone with a clue would note vote for that!! Can't wait till this is over! Nodaks I think is going to win...but I respect the people that want RR. 

have never dissed anyones choice, I just diss the diss. I like what you wrote.