SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

UND Nodaks, Fighting Nodaks, or just Nodaks doesn't sound so bad. Did you ever ask people if they were going to the North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey game? or did you ask them if they were going to the Sioux game? Did you cheer "Go North Dakota Fighting Sioux!" from your seat? or did you cheer "Go Sioux!" You can make it try to sound ridiculous, but it does have to be. I was always in the camp of just remaining UND, and this seems to be the closest option, but it gives the school something they can still brand and tie a logo to.

I'm really leaning towards Nodaks, and know several others who have moved their picks to this name. It almost seems like in the past there was some hesitation over this name because people didn't know if it was really even going to be in the mix. It has definitely picked up steam though. Roughriders wouldn't be terrible and I could live with Fighting Hawks (Boring)...

Great post, funny how people twist things to help THEIR.......?

What's the logo for Nodaks?  An oily bohunk smoking a cigarette?  Go Riders.

Maybe but wouldn't smoking not be PC? I mean there are kids at these event. On the other hand, we don't want to offend the smokers either. This is a dilemma, but not ours. Nodaks would be a pretty versatile name; you could do quite a bit with it. Same could be said about Roughriders, though I like the idea of a Teddy R. association.

I am pretty open minded about the  5 possibilities, but I have to admit North Dakota Nodaks  just doesn't  roll off my tongue.  I will go with it if it is voted in but it is my least favorite.

Say "University of North Dakota" then add each one of the 5 finalists and say it out loud.  Imagine hearing each name over the loud speaker at games.  Practice yelling "Let's go _______" for each name.  This is going to be a name that we will have for the rest of our lives.  What name do you want to hear and say at games.  It is amazing how dumb some of the finalist sound when you do this.

• Upvote 1

Nodaks would be a pretty versatile name;

In my life experiences, this is code for "no clue but I'm sure we can come up with something".

That being said, outside of Fighting Hawks and maybe North Stars, pretty sure all the remaining names could fall under the category of being "pretty versatile" and are open to interpretations.

He used the wrong Shakespeare reference.

''Cry havoc!' said he fought chaos with choas, and let slip the dogs of war"

Turns out Shakespeare wanted UND to have a military themed nickname, and there's only one of those left. Sorry Tom.

In my life experiences, this is code for "no clue but I'm sure we can come up with something".

That being said, outside of Fighting Hawks and maybe North Stars, pretty sure all the remaining names could fall under the category of being "pretty versatile" and are open to interpretations.

Agreed, I though I mentioned that Roughriders would be versatile as well. Sundogs would be, but in a terrible way. All potential sundog options are just terrible. This shows the important of having logos before the vote. A logo could make or break almost any of these names.

As for: "no clue but I'm sure we can come up with something".

That doesn't mean they couldn't come up with something good.

UND Nodaks, Fighting Nodaks, or just Nodaks doesn't sound so bad. Did you ever ask people if they were going to the North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey game? or did you ask them if they were going to the Sioux game? Did you cheer "Go North Dakota Fighting Sioux!" from your seat? or did you cheer "Go Sioux!" You can make it try to sound ridiculous, but it does have to be. I was always in the camp of just remaining UND, and this seems to be the closest option, but it gives the school something they can still brand and tie a logo to.

I'm really leaning towards Nodaks, and know several others who have moved their picks to this name. It almost seems like in the past there was some hesitation over this name because people didn't know if it was really even going to be in the mix. It has definitely picked up steam though. Roughriders wouldn't be terrible and I could live with Fighting Hawks (Boring)...

Freudian slip?

it does sound ridiculous, if you are honest with yourself.

Nodak is ok for an electric co-op or a hardware store, but just doesn't feel right as an athletic team nickname.

• Upvote 4

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Opponents of UND in all sports are licking their chops at Nod*ks cheers and t-shirts.  

Yes, I realize that that nickname has "history" at UND...but so does Flickertails.  Nodaks should stay in the "retired" pile of nicknames as well.

Go Fighting Hawks!  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Say "University of North Dakota" then add each one of the 5 finalists and say it out loud.  Imagine hearing each name over the loud speaker at games.  Practice yelling "Let's go _______" for each name.  This is going to be a name that we will have for the rest of our lives.  What name do you want to hear and say at games.  It is amazing how dumb some of the finalist sound when you do this.

fighting hawks and sundogs sound the worst when doing it. Boy fighting hawks is generic. I can live with all but sundogs but North Stars, Nodaks, and RR are my top 3.

Edited by scpa0305

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Opponents of UND in all sports are licking their chops at Nod*ks cheers and t-shirts.  

Yes, I realize that that nickname has "history" at UND...but so does Flickertails.  Nodaks should stay in the "retired" pile of nicknames as well.

Go Fighting Hawks!  

I get it that the nodak people like the nostalgia about the name and maybe how it kind of like no nickname but what is it about fighting hawks that people like...you wanna be the 59 d1 school with a hawk as a logo...or is it putting fighting in front of anything gets your blood going?  so then how about fighting roughriders then?

fighting hawks and sundogs sound the worst when doing it. Boy fighting hawks is generic.

I think fans chanting lets go Hawks and the PA announcer at the REA saying "Here's your Univeristy of North Dakota Fighting Hawk scoring" will sink into fans' mouths as time goes by. It's been almost 25 years since GFC was the Redskins I think the cheering of Lets Go Knights have now banded the northside of GF just fine.

I get it that the nodak people like the nostalgia about the name and maybe how it kind of like no nickname but what is it about fighting hawks that people like...you wanna be the 59 d1 school with a hawk as a logo...or is it putting fighting in front of anything gets your blood going?  so then how about fighting roughriders then?

Fighting RoughRiders sound non-PC as they would kill people, Fighting Hawks would kill rodents (Gophers).

I think fans chanting lets go Hawks and the PA announcer at the REA saying "Here's your Univeristy of North Dakota Fighting Hawk scoring" will sink into fans' mouths as time goes by. It's been almost 25 years since GFC was the Redskins I think the cheering of Lets Go Knights have now banded the northside of GF just fine.

I hear hawks a lot more than knights.

Fighting RoughRiders sound non-PC as they would kill people, Fighting Hawks would kill rodents (Gophers).

I guess I don't get basing your nickname on "if my nickname can kill your nickname" considering the only conference we are in with the gophers is womens hockey...roughriders (cowboys) could and do kill wildcats (wsu), bobcats (msu), grizzlies(um), eagles (ewu), bears (unc) and they are in our primary conference.

I guess I don't get basing your nickname on "if my nickname can kill your nickname" considering the only conference we are in with the gophers is womens hockey...roughriders (cowboys) could and do kill wildcats (wsu), bobcats (msu), grizzlies(um), eagles (ewu), bears (unc) and they are in our primary conference.

... and Teddy came out west to kill a bison.

rough riders vs pioneers