SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

UND will be fine. I wish Dave the best. Man I can't wait to see the list of potential candidates for this job.

In no particular order

Eades

Blais

Berry

Jackson

Gwozdecky

Hastings

E. Blasi

Guentzel

Sandelin

Please list others you think.

Man... this was sure under the radar wasn't it.  Not a peep that any discussions were going on.  Surprised that something didn't leak out about discussions.  Shocked when I seen come across my NHL alerts. 

While this is a good deal for Dave Hakstol (and all the best to him) one wonders how this will affect the program and future recruits and commitments as mentioned by others. 

However; the team will move forward and continue to produce I'm sure.  It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Yeah, my first concern after congratulating Hak, was our recruits... we need a coach ASAP.

UND will be fine. I wish Dave the best. Man I can't wait to see the list of potential candidates for this job.

In no particular order

Eades

Blais

Berry

Jackson

Gwozdecky

Hastings

Enrico Blasi???

In no particular order

Eades

Blais

Berry

Jackson

Gwozdecky

Hastings

Guentzel?

In no particular order

Eades

Blais

Berry

Jackson

Gwozdecky

Hastings

Any chance we can steal away Sandy?

• Upvote 3

I honestly think it would benefit the program to bring in someone from outside, with no or very few UND ties, yet someone with hockey clout as to keep the recruitment up…any knowledgeable hockey person will understand the history and tradition of UND/Fighting Sioux hockey after one walk around the Ralph. The recruitment shouldn’t fall off too much if any, and our facilities are still a cut above the rest. Get an X’s and O’s guy in here and put these top tier athletes to the test.

Even Blais, with his two titles, never got an NHL head coaching gig. I'm thrilled for Hak, and have no hard feelings with him moving on. It's a HUGE step up to coach at hockey's highest level.

Yes, priority one is keeping recruits and returning players on the team! Maybe they have a coach already picked out? Though I could see pitchforks if there's not an open hire process (damned if they do...)

Anyone else like to see them bring in an outside coach with no UND ties to see how that would go?  Or are guys like Berry, Eades, or Johnson better?

Is it hard to sell UND tradition when you've never experienced it yourself? That's the only thing if they a hire someone with no ties to UND.

Is it hard to sell UND tradition when you've never experienced it yourself? That's the only thing with a hire someone with no ties to UND.

I don't think it is. UND's tradition of excellence is very well known, I believe. I mean, look at the building. It's essentially a shrine to our history.

Even Blais, with his two titles, never got an NHL head coaching gig. I'm thrilled for Hak, and have no hard feelings with him moving on. It's a HUGE step up to coach at hockey's highest level.

Yes, priority one is keeping recruits and returning players on the team! Maybe they have a coach already picked out? Though I could see pitchforks if there's not an open hire process (damned if they do...)

I believe that Blais was suppose to get the head coaching job in Columbus after spending the first year as an associate.

This just goes to show how good of a coach Hak really is, not many college hockey coaches leave the college ranks and jump into the NHL. We always knew that Hak was well respected in the NHL circles. Best of luck to him!

@Buccigross: North Dakota players had no idea their coach was leaving. Found out on Twitter. Shocked. But, they'll get another good coach. #lotsofthem

Ugh this makes me nervous. I hope no one decides to bolt :sad:

Recruits, too.

Really shocked to see Hakstol make the jump but best of luck to him. My guess is they will hire a new coach within the next couple weeks and that person will have ties to the program I'd guess Brad Berry. I also think if you hire Berry or Jackson you keep the recruits/team together and that is a key. Hopefully right now our current coaches are calling/meeting with current players and recruits.