SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Yeah, it's word of mouth or bust for them at this point. Not a lot of foot traffic at the Mall...especially in the food court.

is elgortia teh guatamalan restaurant downtown crookston or the or the old pizza hut by campus...either way those two restaurants ae worth the trip to crookston (from GF.....)

7 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is elgortia teh guatamalan restaurant downtown crookston or the or the old pizza hut by campus...either way those two restaurants ae worth the trip to crookston (from GF.....)

The old video on broadway so downtown on highway 2 west. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Is Wild Bill's going to permanently close in Forks?

Still not reopen.

could be a casualty of the plandemic...i see the yoga shop in EGF is closing. gotta think some other small businesses are barely holding on bc some people are still scared to leave their bunkers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 7:14 AM, SiouxForever said:

West Fargo just got -- https://www.thepiggybbqofwestfargo.com/

I'm sure many people have read the NYT article on it or saw it on the local news yesterday in Fargo/Grand Forks. Super excited for this!  -- https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/travel/restaurant-report-the-piggy-in-walker-minn.html

This will kill in Fargo.

With that said, was "The Wild Hog" ahead of its time in Grand Forks, or just mismanaged/poorly ran?

Thoughts?

@Oxbow6 thoughts? 

Ate at the Walker location a few weeks ago. Liked their ribs. Sausage meh.  Burnt ends were swimming in sauce so didnt care for those. The have good mac and cheese.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, crb1 said:

One of the last Hardee’s in GF has closed. The one on 17th, drove by it today and signs were down and building looked pretty empty. 

Well so much for the second half of 2020 being a rebound.... whats next giant asteroid?

Without a big hot hamNcheese it may as well just hit us be over.

I realize that across the board, America's tastes are evolving, and that demand for 'greasy fast food burgers and fries' is going to seem to be down.  That, coupled with a months-long economic freeze, can certainly be expected to hasten the departure of any number of restaurants, including underperforming chains and franchises.

While Chick-fil-A was and still is a tremendous get, my bigger concern is that GF, and even to an extent, Fargo and the rest of the state, is not drawing to the trendy, fresh, darling chains that seem to be thriving elsewhere.  Raising Cane's is one example; Zoup! is another.  People like choices and variety, and even a Chipotle, Pancheros, or Panda Express would be a welcome addition north of Fargo.

17th and Columbia seems like a strategic location; blocks from Altru, a stone's throw from RRHS, half the distance from the north side as 32nd.  The future of that piece of land will be telling, assuming Hardees is indeed a close and not just a remodel.  That said, the new north-side TJs is going up fast.

On a semi-related note, will we see new construction post-COVID lead to a re-imagining of the dining experience, with an enhanced focus on drive-thru, curbside/to-go, and distanced seating?  I personally don't think that the current real estate model will permit the kind of long-term drive thru changes that would be needed given what I'm seeing in many places.  The push for dine-at-home has absolutely strained the limits of vehicle capacity, affecting street traffic and not in a good way.  Stay tuned.

That Hardee’s just did a remodel like a year or so ago. I think it is probably closed for good. As a kid I loved Hardee’s, when it was over by the north side Hugo’s on 20th. They made the best biscuits in the morning and were cheap too. However Hardee’s is super expensive nowadays and I can just find better options for the price. I believe Hardee’s is part of the Carl’s Jr.  brand. 

On 7/4/2020 at 7:39 AM, crb1 said:

That Hardee’s just did a remodel like a year or so ago. I think it is probably closed for good. As a kid I loved Hardee’s, when it was over by the north side Hugo’s on 20th. They made the best biscuits in the morning and were cheap too. However Hardee’s is super expensive nowadays and I can just find better options for the price. I believe Hardee’s is part of the Carl’s Jr.  brand. 

I was wondering about that. I drove by one evening last week and the place didn't have a single car in the parking lot. 

On 7/4/2020 at 6:39 AM, crb1 said:

Yes, Hardee's and Carl's Jr are the same company. They merged at some point many years ago and they decided to keep both brands operating. Carl's Jr is mostly confined to the western states, while Hardee's is used in the midwest and south with some penetration to the east. I'd say they share about 80% of the same menu. Hardee's has some more "traditional" menu items like the hot ham 'n cheese and a larger breakfast menu, while Carl's Jr goes a little "edgier"(for lack of a better term) with menu items like tacos/burritos, fried zucchini, and more chicken options. They used to share marketing, but the Carl's Jr ads got a little too racy for the midwestern market.

Now that I'm living out in Oregon, I've had to learn how to make my own hot hams. They were a staple for me growing up in a ND town that only had Hardee's and DQ as fast food options, and I get nostalgic for them every few months. But I've come to learn they're easy to make. You need fairly cheap processed deli ham(the kind in plastic containers, not from the deli case), some cheap white american singles, and some sesame seed buns(if you're like me and remember the old buns and not the newer buttered buns). The construction is supposed to be 8 thin slices of ham, 1 slice of cheese, 8 slices of ham, 1 slice of cheese, then microwave the whole thing for 45-120 seconds depending on your microwave. Wait about 30-60 seconds and eat. Try to use a better ham, a better cheese, or a better way of cooking and they're just not the same. I know, I've tried.

• Upvote 2

gershman's new steak place is totally replacing the roof (trusses and everything)...makes you wonder about a rooftop eating area?  (saw the lawyer howe looking in the windows when i biked by and man oh man is that guy weird looking)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 7:56 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

gershman's new steak place is totally replacing the roof (trusses and everything)...makes you wonder about a rooftop eating area?  (saw the lawyer howe looking in the windows when i biked by and man oh man is that guy weird looking)

That old creep was probably checking on his "wild grass" growing on the berm he tried suing the city over mowing a few years ago.   Must have had some spare time from attending Trump rallies or maybe making sure his old law partner was still SEAworthy.   (EEEWWWW - sorry;-(

Looking forward to see what Hal comes up with for the new steak place.   I think he'll nail it and that place will be a dining sensation downtown.  That being said Ely's Ivy is doing a great job on 3rd Street.

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

That old creep was probably checking on his "wild grass" growing on the berm he tried suing the city over mowing a few years ago.   Must have had some spare time from attending Trump rallies or maybe making sure his old law partner was still SEAworthy.   (EEEWWWW - sorry;-(

Looking forward to see what Hal comes up with for the new steak place.   I think he'll nail it and that place will be a dining sensation downtown.  That being said Ely's Ivy is doing a great job on 3rd Street.

Trump rallies?  Only if he was protesting.    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://digitalcommons.law.utulsa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D3177%26context%3Dtlr&ved=2ahUKEwij3fyPstTqAhUJK80KHRJtA1MQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1OHsBnTXsqcfPCJ7M1XvL1

On 7/7/2020 at 6:56 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what's the name of that place?