SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Should have changed it to POOR CHOICE house - they let Gam Wong go and dumped their chinese menu page in favor of their '"fargo" menu - HUGE MISTAKE!   The old shangri-la food (and especially the Phoenix Chicken) was the only reason I went there - a LOT of other people would agree.  Best to Gam and I hope he lands on his feet in a new place where his talents can be appreciated.  Our last time there the waitress was rude and once we found out no chinese food the alternatives boring.  We won't be back.

I had the same experience.  We hoped that the reboot would include some staff improvements too, but it seems to be the same spotty service.  When they first reopened (a month ago), they had new menus that included the Chinese menu and this week it's gone so they can include more average bar fare.  As a bar/grill, why would you eliminate something that differentiates you from the other 10+ bar/grills in town?  It's unlikely that we will return as well.

10 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Should have changed it to POOR CHOICE house - they let Gam Wong go and dumped their chinese menu page in favor of their '"fargo" menu - HUGE MISTAKE!   The old shangri-la food (and especially the Phoenix Chicken) was the only reason I went there - a LOT of other people would agree.  Best to Gam and I hope he lands on his feet in a new place where his talents can be appreciated.  Our last time there the waitress was rude and once we found out no chinese food the alternatives boring.  We won't be back.

I was there last Friday and they had the Chinese food.  I actually had the Phoenix Chicken.  It was excellent.  

A hidden gem. 2915 South Washington. Steers Somali Restaurant. Great fresh food and friendly service. Myself or my college age daughter have been here about ten times in the last year and never been disappointed. Nice to try unique foods in town and reasonably priced. 

5B18D835-8E81-4C5C-B341-C42ED41CF8E7.png

41531F73-AB94-41B0-9559-1AD3F10090D1.png

• Upvote 2

On 2/13/2020 at 11:30 PM, gfNDfan said:

Shotgun Sally's in Grand Forks has always had spotty service.  I've never been to a place that can have 4-5 bartenders moving around like they are busy but no one actually getting served drinks. 

• 1 month later...

Short answer is these days - ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE that's doing takeout and delivery to help them get through until this mess is over and YES - THERE is a silver lining to this very huge cloud hanging over the GF food scene.

GAM IS COMING BACK BABY!

Starting Monday March 23 - Gam will be cooking some of his chinese favorites for takeout and delivery at the Ground Round!   Not available every day but when it is I assume they'll let people know via their facebook page.   Great news and a great reason to throw some love Ground Rounds way!  They're great community supporters as it is.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gfNDfan said:

Short answer is these days - ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE that's doing takeout and delivery to help them get through until this mess is over and YES - THERE is a silver lining to this very huge cloud hanging over the GF food scene.

GAM IS COMING BACK BABY!

Starting Monday March 23 - Gam will be cooking some of his chinese favorites for takeout and delivery at the Ground Round!   Not available every day but when it is I assume they'll let people know via their facebook page.   Great news and a great reason to throw some love Ground Rounds way!  They're great community supporters as it is.

My Monday just got a little brighter!  Great job by Ground Round.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, DB Cooper said:

damnit, my bad

There, there....Chef Gam Wong has you covered Mon-Wed at the Ground Round.   Can't order it online - you have to call.   Pre-orders start at 3pm - available for delivery and takeout.   Same as it ever was and not for foodies expecting a taste explosion.   Just good old GF comfort food - had some the other night and it was the most satisfying meal for my soul I've had since this covid crap started.

GW Combo Plate.jpg

24 minutes ago, gfNDfan said:

There, there....Chef Gam Wong has you covered Mon-Wed at the Ground Round.   Can't order it online - you have to call.   Pre-orders start at 3pm - available for delivery and takeout.   Same as it ever was and not for foodies expecting a taste explosion.   Just good old GF comfort food - had some the other night and it was the most satisfying meal for my soul I've had since this covid crap started.

GW Combo Plate.jpg

Man I miss the old Shangri La!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

just a thought but now that it's warmer out should grand forks close all the north/south streets downtown  and put tons of park bench (socially distantly enough tho) in the streets and allow restaurants to serve food and drink outside?  close kittson for urban stampede and rhombus pizza/brewery? bonzers could use the alley behind their building? or make the city square park one large open air dining area.  just a thought

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

just a thought but now that it's warmer out should grand forks close all the north/south streets downtown  and put tons of park bench (socially distantly enough tho) in the streets and allow restaurants to serve food and drink outside?  close kittson for urban stampede and rhombus pizza/brewery? bonzers could use the alley behind their building? or make the city square park one large open air dining area.  just a thought

Actually that’s a great idea. I bet people would feel more comfortable sitting outside rather than recirculated air conditioning 

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:16 AM, Oxbow6 said:

The PourHouse in south Fargo is terrific plus Duane's Pizza is adjoining. Shotgun Sally's in Fargo has been trash from day one....awful. 

I pine for the days of food at the Shangri-La.......was a GF gem.

I heard Duanes  was going to open a new location but didnt know if it was really going to happen.

West Fargo just got -- https://www.thepiggybbqofwestfargo.com/

I'm sure many people have read the NYT article on it or saw it on the local news yesterday in Fargo/Grand Forks. Super excited for this!  -- https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/travel/restaurant-report-the-piggy-in-walker-minn.html

This will kill in Fargo.

With that said, was "The Wild Hog" ahead of its time in Grand Forks, or just mismanaged/poorly ran?

Thoughts?

@Oxbow6 thoughts? 

19 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

I'm sure many people have read the NYT article on it or saw it on the local news yesterday in Fargo/Grand Forks. Super excited for this!  -- https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/travel/restaurant-report-the-piggy-in-walker-minn.html

This will kill in Fargo.

With that said, was "The Wild Hog" ahead of its time in Grand Forks, or just mismanaged/poorly ran?

Thoughts?

@Oxbow6 thoughts? 

Wild Hog was very poorly run.  Too many owners, none of which had any restaurant experience, and because it was basically a hobby instead of their primary source of income they never seemed to put any effort into learning.  

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

This will kill in Fargo.

Thoughts?

@Oxbow6 thoughts? 

Planning on going next week. 

• Like 1