SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

29 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Just 2 steaks - Ribeye and tenderloin.   I don't know if they are dry aged.  

They used to have a huge dry aged steak with caramalized mushrooms and garlic and onions on top for like $100 and it was unreal. Had that probably 5 years ago though so who knows 

On 3/23/2022 at 11:48 AM, sioux rube said:

Just going to point out that only restaurants that use Open Table to manage their online reservation system are on that list. There are at least a handful of Fargo restaurants absent from that list that are every bit as good or better than the ones that are on it. Luna and Mezzaluna are at the top of that missing list as far as I'm concerned. Maybe GF is the same with missing restaurants.

37 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

With Denny's going down, prime real estate on 32nd opens up.  The last thing GF needs is another vacant eyesore.

Fill in the blank:  I would like to see a/an ______________ in that location.

Car Wash

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

With Denny's going down, prime real estate on 32nd opens up.  The last thing GF needs is another vacant eyesore.

Cheesers? 

image.jpeg.7d18838fd38137c27c40a4271a8a3a69.jpeg

Wing Kingdom?

image.jpeg.2b1b9de7995813af7aa348942aef43a8.jpeg

22 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Waffle House, need at least one 24-hour restaurant open back up in the city! Plus, the Waffle House entertainment is one-of-a-kind! 

• Upvote 4

Is anyone here - or is anyone here close to - an operator of one of the handful of franchises in town that has not yet resumed dining in?

I have a question -- do you feel like you're doing the right thing at this point, as in, making a prudent business decision, or do you realize that you are losing business and even alienating customers, perhaps losing them altogether (like, forever)?

And if you happen to operate along an interstate highway (looking at you, McD on Gateway), do you not realize the valuable service that such establishments ordinarily provide to travelers, esp. parents with small kids, etc., that simply cannot be achieved in your overcrowded drive-thru or using one of the many food delivery apps?  I mean, WTF???  Dashboard or car seat dining - which can suffice in a pinch - is hardly ideal, and should not be considered a long-term solution.

While McDonald's is what it is culinary-wise (don't hate!), is there really any substitute for safe, affordable, convenient, reliable, predictable food while traveling, along with a place to stretch one's legs, use the restroom, etc.?

Is this the truck stop renaissance we've all been eagerly anticipating?

[END RANT]

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, N of GF said:

My wife is the GM of a franchise store in town that has not re-opened the lobby. It is purely a labor shortage decision in her (technically her owners decision, not hers) case, and the corporate directive is to leave lobbies closed until you are absolutely sure you are staffed sufficiently to maintain a clean and orderly lobby.

No, she is not losing business. in fact, sales are thru the roof because of Door Dash, Uber Eats, etc. Customer preferences have changed. If they weren't overly busy trying to keep up with delivery services they would have more manpower available to staff the lobby.

Yes, she has raised wages. A high school kid with zero experience can now earn $15/hour, and it goes up from there with experience. 

Believe me, these people are just as frustrated as everyone else with the current state of things. They are working harder than ever to keep understaffed stores running after two years of dealing with customers complaining about covid stuff that they had no control over (Corporate policy; follow, or lose your job. period). Please have some understanding, and be kind. Thank you.

Understood, and appreciated.  :)

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, N of GF said:

My wife is the GM of a franchise store in town that has not re-opened the lobby. It is purely a labor shortage decision in her (technically her owners decision, not hers) case, and the corporate directive is to leave lobbies closed until you are absolutely sure you are staffed sufficiently to maintain a clean and orderly lobby.

No, she is not losing business. in fact, sales are thru the roof because of Door Dash, Uber Eats, etc. Customer preferences have changed. If they weren't overly busy trying to keep up with delivery services they would have more manpower available to staff the lobby.

Yes, she has raised wages. A high school kid with zero experience can now earn $15/hour, and it goes up from there with experience. 

Believe me, these people are just as frustrated as everyone else with the current state of things. They are working harder than ever to keep understaffed stores running after two years of dealing with customers complaining about covid stuff that they had no control over (Corporate policy; follow, or lose your job. period). Please have some understanding, and be kind. Thank you.

yep...when you literally get 10k back for popping out 3 kids there is zero motivation to work.......................til that is gone .................which is only a few months away from the next check which will probably be 12k..........and the circle jerks itself..........

Should be a work requirement before any handouts, most businesses would have way more people to choose to employ 

I was always told to tip because those employees don’t make much per hour.  Is that still true?  If not why the tipping?

do you tip the sales staff at Menards or kohls?