SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

12 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Majority of reviews I've heard have been very positive. 

Interesting their Google reviews seem to be "CURATED" by someone - to be all positive.   I guess you can buy anything on Google, including their objectivity.   Just like the Harry's Website reviews - all positive - go figure.

12 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Interesting their Google reviews seem to be "CURATED" by someone - to be all positive.   I guess you can buy anything on Google, including their objectivity.   Just like the Harry's Website reviews - all positive - go figure.

Or maybe not that many people have had bad experiences? While I've heard from a handful of people who didn't enjoy their meal, the large majority have been impressed with no hesitation to go back. Looking through the reviews, there are both negative and positives, so not sure where you get the lack of objectivity?

And while I get your commentary on the side dish things (and actually don't disagree), the concept from the beginning was to be a true steak house, which is how the majority of them have their menu set up. Not every restaurant is going to be for everyone. But my opinion is that it is a welcome addition to the dining scene in Grand Forks.

my fav story about low expectations....blue moose has a great walleye sandwich....won a giftcard for longest marshmallow drive for the Northern Lights Figure Skating golf outing....went to Blue Moose on a Wednesday night i think and it was walleye night...YES!  ordered the walleye.....server brought out a perfectly square 5x5 inch piece of totally fried something with a limp piece of sogging lettuce under it....she placed it on my table and i looked up and she knew what i was thinking....i eat it in two bites....she took the order from the table next to ours...walking by about a minute later she noticed by empty plate (lettuce and all was gone)...she picked it up probably thinking i threw it on the floor...she brought the bill and i used the giftcard and left a 20 dollar tip....she came back sheepishly asking if the cash was a tip or something and i said yes all of it and she smiled....BUT i haven't eaten there since (beers yes...food no)....

10 hours ago, jdub27 said:

the concept from the beginning was to be a true steak house

That's exactly what I'm saying...if you're going to charge me $40 for a piece of meat make it AMAZING so I don't give a !@#$ about what you're charging me for everything else.   FIRST AND FOREMOST make a mouth watering, tender, delicious, perfectly cooked steak and I will follow you to the end of the earth.  This was a seared on both sides then served RAW piece of garbage - PERIOD!   I didn't even want to take it home and try to rescue it with my freaking AIRFRYER for crying out loud.  It was disgusting in texture - tough even in the meaty part and had no taste.   Totally right decision to just throw it in the garbage.   That's not what a "true steak house" ever was or should be.  As I've said - they have the look down but NOT the food.  HUGE MISTAKE for a restaurant.

PS - as I mentioned in a previous post the Bronze Boot literally had its' roof FALLING IN and still managed to serve a GREAT Perfectly Cooked Steak with a potato and veggie of the day - not to mention a side salad and bread.    THAT'S A TRUE Old School STEAK HOUSE Grand Forks Style.  I miss them.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

That's exactly what I'm saying...if you're going to charge me $40 for a piece of meat make it AMAZING so I don't give a !@#$ about what you're charging me for everything else.   FIRST AND FOREMOST make a mouth watering, tender, delicious, perfectly cooked steak and I will follow you to the end of the earth.  This was a seared on both sides then served RAW piece of garbage - PERIOD!   I didn't even want to take it home and try to rescue it with my freaking AIRFRYER for crying out loud.  It was disgusting in texture - tough even in the meaty part and had no taste.   Totally right decision to just throw it in the garbage.   That's not what a "true steak house" ever was or should be.  As I've said - they have the look down but NOT the food.  HUGE MISTAKE for a restaurant.

PS - as I mentioned in a previous post the Bronze Boot literally had its' roof FALLING IN and still managed to serve a GREAT Perfectly Cooked Steak with a potato and veggie of the day - not to mention a side salad and bread.    THAT'S A TRUE Old School STEAK HOUSE Grand Forks Style.  I miss them.

lived here my whole life and only eat at bb one or twice at the end...place was awesome...leaking roof and everything!!!!!!!!!!!

i still wonder about/why hal chose matty from the ground round to run his steakhouse.

4 hours ago, Kab said:

Hope harry finds out about this, needs to be taken care of

GF needs an upscale,place

Agreed - For ambiance and staff I recommend the Toasted Frog - Skys is nice too - I like the bar side better than the dining side.  I want Elly's Ivy to succeed but it has been a bit of a hot mess every time I have been there - staff is nice but mills about too much instead of taking care of customers. They need someone in charge.   As for Harry's - I just can't get used to paying $40+ for a steak and then have to pay for a side and salad.  Just charge me for the whole meal up front - I'm not sure why this irritates me so but it does.  It reminds me of the "resort fee" tacked on to a room charge at Vegas.  I also loved the Boot and wish we could have the equivalent here - I'd sacrifice a little of the pomp of Harrys for just a bit of the feel of the Boot.  Hopefully Harry's will figure it out but they seem to be locked in to their business model.  

8 hours ago, Kab said:

Hope harry finds out about this, needs to be taken care of

GF needs an upscale,place

I will tell you I'm a "local guide" of a certain level for Google and I would have flamed them publicly but I really respect Hal G and all he's done for GF so I have avoided posting my experience publicly on a restaurant review venue.   90% of my online reviews are positive and I don't post negative reviews lightly.  When I go negative they turn out to be my most "popular" reviews just fyi.

Again - we REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to love this place for every reason but both my wife and I felt like we were punched in the gut with our first experience.   It was such a sour experience from start to finish we both felt sick the next day which is sad.  We will give them another try down the road but not for awhile. 

For other GF food experiences I recommend Charras and Tequila for authentic Mexican and HOUSE OF PUNJAB for amazing Indian Food.   BOTH great additions to the GF Restaurant scene without the need to charge for every single dish on your plate.   La Cantina on the Northend (former El Roco bar location) also has some promise.  Famous Daves is coming!  Casa Mexico on the Eastside has stepped up their game by buying  a new sign you can actually read.   Things are really looking up!

27 minutes ago, gfNDfan said:

I will tell you I'm a "local guide" of a certain level for Google and I would have flamed them publicly but I really respect Hal G and all he's done for GF so I have avoided posting my experience publicly on a restaurant review venue.   90% of my online reviews are positive and I don't post negative reviews lightly.  When I go negative they turn out to be my most "popular" reviews just fyi.

Again - we REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to love this place for every reason but both my wife and I felt like we were punched in the gut with our first experience.   It was such a sour experience from start to finish we both felt sick the next day which is sad.  We will give them another try down the road but not for awhile. 

For other GF food experiences I recommend Charras and Tequila for authentic Mexican and HOUSE OF PUNJAB for amazing Indian Food.   BOTH great additions to the GF Restaurant scene without the need to charge for every single dish on your plate.   La Cantina on the Northend (former El Roco bar location) also has some promise.  Famous Daves is coming!  Casa Mexico on the Eastside has stepped up their game by buying  a new sign you can actually read.   Things are really looking up!

I eat at La Cantina in Mayville often. Good food but at the end of the day it's not much different that Paradiso. Still recommend it tho

On 12/27/2021 at 1:01 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

my fav story about low expectations....blue moose has a great walleye sandwich....won a giftcard for longest marshmallow drive for the Northern Lights Figure Skating golf outing....went to Blue Moose on a Wednesday night i think and it was walleye night...YES!  ordered the walleye.....server brought out a perfectly square 5x5 inch piece of totally fried something with a limp piece of sogging lettuce under it....she placed it on my table and i looked up and she knew what i was thinking....i eat it in two bites....she took the order from the table next to ours...walking by about a minute later she noticed by empty plate (lettuce and all was gone)...she picked it up probably thinking i threw it on the floor...she brought the bill and i used the giftcard and left a 20 dollar tip....she came back sheepishly asking if the cash was a tip or something and i said yes all of it and she smiled....BUT i haven't eaten there since (beers yes...food no)....

I have always rather enjoyed the Blue Moose. 

58 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

I wonder why no one has mentioned Helix?  For my money it's a great place.

100% and I don’t live in GF. Their steak is amazing and their food too. It has a huge following on the south end, but I think people on the south end and/or even people who go there often in general want to keep it on the DL/under the radar. Ha! :-)

Great place!

3 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

100% and I don’t live in GF. Their steak is amazing and their food too. It has a huge following on the south end, but I think people on the south end and/or even people who go there often in general want to keep it on the DL/under the radar. Ha! :-)

Great place!

That is a great way for a place to go out of business, if there is no word of mouth.  I thought they only sold wine.