SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

The whole Canadinn operation just seems average. I have never stayed there, but the reviews are typically average or worse. There has been no attempts to update anything since opening and all the dining locations are just meh. I have no idea what type of arrangement they have, but would be nice to see another hospitality vendor takeover the operations. 

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, petey23 said:

Brutal. I get they are short staffed but when a waitress walks by for the 8th time and doesn't even acknowledge that you are there and avoid eye contact it is just !@#!$ service...This is what made me remember our last experience there which was pre pandemic and it was the same result. 

funny i see people complain and i can't relate bc i am maybe a little more laid back or whatever but with the tavern everything everyone says on here i have had happen to me....don't acknowledge you at the bar, don't ask you need anything at the tables.....it's like you don't even exist sometimes when you go there and nothing seems to change?  weird.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

funny i see people complain and i can't relate bc i am maybe a little more laid back or whatever but with the tavern everything everyone says on here i have had happen to me....don't acknowledge you at the bar, don't ask you need anything at the tables.....it's like you don't even exist sometimes when you go there and nothing seems to change?  weird.

It lends to the overall experience of the entire complex... just a massive pile of unmet expectations missed opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, northernraider said:

The whole Canadinn operation just seems average. I have never stayed there, but the reviews are typically average or worse. There has been no attempts to update anything since opening and all the dining locations are just meh. I have no idea what type of arrangement they have, but would be nice to see another hospitality vendor takeover the operations. 

So true, they have really done nothing to improve that whole location over there. Restaurants are so underwhelming, it could be a real nice location if you can get someone in there that puts in the time and effort.

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

So true, they have really done nothing to improve that whole location over there. Restaurants are so underwhelming, it could be a real nice location if you can get someone in there that puts in the time and effort.

As I once learned following a trip to Winnipeg - where a Canad location miraculously featured all of the same 'tenants,' the Tavern United, Garbonzos, Aaltos, l'Bistro, et al. are captive brands and wholly owned by the Canad Inn parent company.  https://www.canadinns.com/about-canad-inns/

Turns out that when you are completely subsidized and underwritten, you are insulated against the realities of a naturally competitive marketplace, and you can continue your sub-par restaurant operations with relative impunity.

Alas, barring Canad Inn closing them down and subletting the space, or getting religion about the quality of food and service, it seems there will be no changes onsite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

As I once learned following a trip to Winnipeg - where a Canad location miraculously featured all of the same 'tenants,' the Tavern United, Garbonzos, Aaltos, l'Bistro, et al. are captive brands and wholly owned by the Canad Inn parent company.  https://www.canadinns.com/about-canad-inns/

Turns out that when you are completely subsidized and underwritten, you are insulated against the realities of a naturally competitive marketplace, and you can continue your sub-par restaurant operations with relative impunity.

Alas, barring Canad Inn closing them down and subletting the space, or getting religion about the quality of food and service, it seems there will be no changes onsite.

didn't know that....so your saying that the old saying that no competition makes for a lazy company is true.............

• Like 1

There's a FIVE GUYS in gf?   No idea - do they buy their russet potatoes from Idaho?  Yes they do!  

PS to 5 Guys - we have RED RIVER REDS that also make great fresh cut fries here in GF.   Seems like you might want to latch on to that as a marketing angle but that's just me.   Last time I was there it was just another greasy burger - nothing special - and the fries were the least part of the deal.  I'm not a master of business but if you're a part of the chain and they force potatoes on you at least stand up and say HEY!  Our people grow potatoes here! Let's fry RR Reds and maybe spread them around the country as a good thing? 

just asking.......

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

There's a FIVE GUYS in gf?   No idea - do they buy their russet potatoes from Idaho?  Yes they do!  

PS to 5 Guys - we have RED RIVER REDS that also make great fresh cut fries here in GF.   Seems like you might want to latch on to that as a marketing angle but that's just me.   Last time I was there it was just another greasy burger - nothing special - and the fries were the least part of the deal.  I'm not a master of business but if you're a part of the chain and they force potatoes on you at least stand up and say HEY!  Our people grow potatoes here! Let's fry RR Reds and maybe spread them around the country as a good thing? 

just asking.......

The whole idea of chains is that you are getting the same product wherever you go.  Now in some cases that might not necessarily be a good thing. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, tnt said:

The whole idea of chains is that you are getting the same product wherever you go.  Now in some cases that might not necessarily be a good thing. 

5 Guys takes pride in letting everyone know where their potatoes come from.   Walking in they were screaming Idaho Russets all over - again wait - we're in potato country.   Seems like you could do better in a local chain with a local product.   I'm not saying force RR Reds on everyone in the US.   BUT it could be a marketing opportunity if you featured them here.  Reds make great fresh fries.  It's still a side btw - the main focus is on the burgers.

I get your chain (same EVERYWHERE) arguement but why?  Ask Chik-Fil-A - they bombed their opening in Bismarck by not having most of their menu in stock when they opened.   Why did you open?  They had lines of cars stacked up only to be turned away by long waits and no product.   Idiots.  You screwed a certain part of your future business with this crappy initial experience.   Like local restaurants don't have enough challenges today...

Just walked into Firehouse subs. 

One person eating.

Six people waiting for food. 

Went pretty fast though.

The issue nowadays is restaurants they don't look busy but half of them are Doordash drivers waiting on a order from a frat house.

Thought I read something like 70% of Taco Bell is served through the drive thru.

Hit up Jersey Mikes for a great sub!  Best since Quizno's took a dump locally anyway.  Go for the Rosemary Parmesan bread with the #7 - turkey and provolone - my wife's favorite.   I prefer hot subs so I usually go with the Cheesesteak or a mild variant.   Great rewards club and double points days aplenty.  They also support great causes like foodshelf programs across the US.  Great easy app ordering and walk in pickup service.   It's our go-to locally.  Tried the "new" Subway and it just sucks.  

Firehouse is good too.   Wish we would have gotten a PepperJax but the ship sailed years ago when Hornbachers stood their ground and appealed their building permit saying "NO WAY WILL WE ALLOW A BUSINESS TO BLOCK OUR VISUAL ACCESS" - then bailed out of GF.  Still bitter about those a-holes!  GO ALDI!

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2021 at 11:51 PM, gfNDfan said:

5 Guys takes pride in letting everyone know where their potatoes come from.   Walking in they were screaming Idaho Russets all over - again wait - we're in potato country.   Seems like you could do better in a local chain with a local product.   I'm not saying force RR Reds on everyone in the US.   BUT it could be a marketing opportunity if you featured them here.  Reds make great fresh fries.  It's still a side btw - the main focus is on the burgers.

I get your chain (same EVERYWHERE) arguement but why?  Ask Chik-Fil-A - they bombed their opening in Bismarck by not having most of their menu in stock when they opened.   Why did you open?  They had lines of cars stacked up only to be turned away by long waits and no product.   Idiots.  You screwed a certain part of your future business with this crappy initial experience.   Like local restaurants don't have enough challenges today...

Some potatoes are good for frying and some arent.   I dont think Reds fall in to the frying category.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, bison73 said:

Some potatoes are good for frying and some arent.   I dont think Reds fall in to the frying category.

Forgive the witness your honor you should make some accomodation for where he was apparently educated.   I submit the following evidence...

https://www.minneapolisfed.org/article/1994/frozen-french-fries-fuel-red-river-valley-economy

No further questions your honor!   

PS - There's a reason UND has the law school:-)

On 12/14/2021 at 11:10 PM, gfNDfan said:

Forgive the witness your honor you should make some accomodation for where he was apparently educated.   I submit the following evidence...

https://www.minneapolisfed.org/article/1994/frozen-french-fries-fuel-red-river-valley-economy

Reds are fine for fry potatoes(bigger slices or cubes pan fried in oil), but they're not great for french fries. They work, but you get a denser texture and not the crispy exterior/fluffy interior that you get from russets. But if you're going for steak fries/frites, reds can work, but I prefer Yukon golds for that application. I think the best mashed potatoes are a blend of russets and reds. Higher proportion of russets if you're looking for a more sophisticated texture(whipped Thanksgiving style), higher proportion of reds if you're going for a more rustic style(peel the russets, don't peel the reds).

Keys to french fries: Use russets; soak in water, then rinse to get rid of the excess starch; fry twice - fry at a lower temp for a longer time to cook the interior, let them rest, fry at a higher temp for a shorter time to crisp and brown the exterior; don't overload your fryer or you'll get soggy, oily fries; reuse your oil(filter it between uses) as long as you never let it get too hot - throw it out if that happens; season the fries while hot.

And Five Guys fries suck. Limp, soggy crap. Because they don't soak them and they only fry them once. McD's are good because they fry them twice: once at the factory before they're flash frozen, then again at the resturant.

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2021 at 11:10 PM, gfNDfan said:

Does UND teach reading comprehension? Ive read this article and no where does it state RED potatoes. It mentions RRV potatoes.

There is a reason you NEED a law school.  :D

On 12/16/2021 at 9:11 PM, bison73 said:

Does UND teach reading comprehension? Ive read this article and no where does it state RED potatoes. It mentions RRV potatoes.

There is a reason you NEED a law school.  :D

oh BURN!   Top programs at ndsu are counting pills and counting on your relatives not to explain what ANIMAL HUSBANDRY actually means when they talk about you and your degree!

the ag college - where men are men and sheep are AFRAID! 

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

So Fago's Famous Dave's has closed but as y'all know the Grand Forks one is still under construction and planning on opening in 1-2 months. Thoughts?

I have many, but sometimes if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all....

Fargo has far more restaurants and more BBQ places than GF. Famous Daves should do fine here. As long as the quality can stay good they should do alright. Usually with new restaurants the quality is good for the first 3 months and then complacency sets in and the quality goes down and that is usually when the downfall begins. 

8 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

So Fago's Famous Dave's has closed but as y'all know the Grand Forks one is still under construction and planning on opening in 1-2 months. Thoughts?

I have many, but sometimes if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all....

Question will be staffing..unemployment rate is 2%  

22 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

oh BURN!   Top programs at ndsu are counting pills and counting on your relatives not to explain what ANIMAL HUSBANDRY actually means when they talk about you and your degree!

- wherethe ag college men are men and sheep are AFRAID! 

At least get the tag line correct---- where the ag college is--- where the men are men , the women are too and the sheep are nervous.  :D

On 12/18/2021 at 9:44 AM, crb1 said:

Fargo has far more restaurants and more BBQ places than GF. Famous Daves should do fine here. As long as the quality can stay good they should do alright. Usually with new restaurants the quality is good for the first 3 months and then complacency sets in and the quality goes down and that is usually when the downfall begins. 

Bismarck Famous Daves on line 1...

Absolute zero effort given to quality control, and even less effort given by staff when they have them.

The issues reek of a culture of poor management and leadership top down.