SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

13 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Tried"?? It was in EGF. You know anything about operating a restaurant on either side of the river. Ask anyone in their ownership group how its turned out with a 2nd one in Fargo vs operating one in EGF?

Hey Mister Metro - Have you ever been to the EGF restaurant district?   It's rocking.   They "upgraded" to EGF after starting in the failed DiaRRETO/Burrito location on Columbia Rd in GF   Right now - that location is currently occupied by a wildly successful Starbucks - go figure.  Is that hideous Mexican Lucidor disaster restaurant still even around down there?  Their food was amazingly !@#!$.  Great to hear SICKIES is such a hit in Fargo though.  Nothing like 50 different HAMBURGERS to choose from you Wimpy knuckledraggers.

I think we'll be happier with Molly's Place.

7 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Hey Mister Metro - Have you ever been to the EGF restaurant district?   It's rocking.   They "upgraded" to EGF after starting in the failed DiaRRETO/Burrito location on Columbia Rd in GF   Right now - that location is currently occupied by a wildly successful Starbucks - go figure.  Is that hideous Mexican Lucidor disaster restaurant still even around down there?  Their food was amazingly !@#!$.  Great to hear SICKIES is such a hit in Fargo though.  Nothing like 50 different HAMBURGERS to choose from you Wimpy knuckledraggers.

I think we'll be happier with Molly's Place.

"Rocking"?? I'll answer your question though.....yes. We hit The Spud regularly. One of our favorites. The Moose is average. Up North is very good pizza. Bangkok is at best marginal Thai.  You failed to answer my question though. At least @gfhockeybrings some insight and knowledge when he chimes in on the inner workings of the greater GF area. Enjoy Molly’s.

.....and BTW we frequent the Moon often too which is also "dead" to you. We do it because of the past and current ownership. Great people former and present. 

Although I never made it to the one in GF, I actually like Sickies in Bismarck.  Good wings, beer, and enclosed "patio" area.  Hopefully the new restaurant will be what the Whitey's location needs.  Blue Moose food, outside of the spinach queso, really isn't very good anymore, but it still seems to be packed most nights.  Not sure why the Whitey's building can't stay full.... with the theater, greenway, and Cabela's right there, it shouldn't really be a traffic issue.  Maybe parking + the space is too big?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Rocking"?? I'll answer your question though.....yes. We hit The Spud regularly. One of our favorites. The Moose is average. Up North is very good pizza. Bangkok is at best marginal Thai.  You failed to answer my question though. At least @gfhockeybrings some insight and knowledge when he chimes in on the inner workings of the greater GF area. Enjoy Molly’s.

.....and BTW we frequent the Moon often too which is also "dead" to you. We do it because of the past and current ownership. Great people former and present. 

At least @gfhockeybrings some insight and knowledge when he chimes in on the inner workings of the greater GF area.

Just like what LakesA-hole brings to Bisonville???   insight and knowledge with a touch of ACTUALLY BEING AN ASSHOLE?   That's what I don't like about him.   There are a lot of people plugged into the GF community and can offer insightful and productive information but he acts like he's the KING of all knowledge.  LOL   He's just a big bag of air like Lakes.

PS - agree with you Bangkok is mediocre Thai.  ThaiHot 3 on the other side of the river was the !@#$ but they're "temporarily closed" - that sucks.  They had the best sushi in town.  Blue Moose is better than average - explore the menu a bit.

• Downvote 1

i do feel that the addition of that deck above little bangkok hurts the atmosphere of sitting outside (ouside little bangkok)...instead of adding that deck OUT towards the river they should have retrofit the roof and had all that on the roof....waaaay better view and probably much more seating....

On 4/23/2022 at 9:22 PM, Big Lubowski said:

You sound like a Yelp reviewer—got all the answers. 

People with knowledge of Old time EGF downtown know the original Whiteys relocated after the flood into a property known as the "FAIL APARTMENTS" - no !@#$ - I will need a little local knowledge backup on this please?  Hopefully Molly can overcome this curse....

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 3:47 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Although I never made it to the one in GF, I actually like Sickies in Bismarck.  Good wings, beer, and enclosed "patio" area.  Hopefully the new restaurant will be what the Whitey's location needs.  Blue Moose food, outside of the spinach queso, really isn't very good anymore, but it still seems to be packed most nights.  Not sure why the Whitey's building can't stay full.... with the theater, greenway, and Cabela's right there, it shouldn't really be a traffic issue.  Maybe parking + the space is too big?

Not sure if it was a one-off or not but the only time we went to Sickies in EGF we waited over an hour after ordering to get our food.  They seemed to be staffed OK and it wasn't very busy.  It was enough for us to avoid going there again.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

But I was told the ecomomy is doing great??

The article says they were having labor problems---like all other restaurants. So, I don't think it was necessarily an issue of people not coming out. But, if you've got no one to wait on them or cook their meal, I guess it doesn't really matter. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Big Lubowski said:

The article says they were having labor problems---like all other restaurants. So, I don't think it was necessarily an issue of people not coming out. But, if you've got no one to wait on them or cook their meal, I guess it doesn't really matter. 

let's build back better

24 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Or maybe an over-saturated restaurant market? There is only so many people available to work in food service. The Grand Forks unemployment rate in April was around 2%

.........they might be employed but missing numerous days...in a row........week after week.......so when you go to said restaurant you have a bad experience bc "sick" guy was playing COD til 5am and just called in it .......again! (happens too many times...said business now goes out of business)

easy to do when you get 10k back for having 3 kids..........

1 hour ago, Big Lubowski said:

Per the managers Facebook post they were actually overstaffed

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

.........they might be employed but missing numerous days...in a row........week after week.......so when you go to said restaurant you have a bad experience bc "sick" guy was playing COD til 5am and just called in it .......again! (happens too many times...said business now goes out of business)

easy to do when you get 10k back for having 3 kids..........

Do we get 10k back again this year? Or was that a one year thing? Asking for my wallet……… 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the chance to try Bigfoot BBQ at the Ramada.  You can't beat the Friday night deal of any burger, fries and a beer (or other beverage) for $10.  I think they need to advertise more because the burgers and bbq were all great.  

• Upvote 2

On 5/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, Cratter said:

I'll go with the Heralds version vs gfhockeys.

if the heraldo was smart they would hire gfhockey and give him a blog.......make it a modern day version of sid hartman's articles...little of this little of that...little gossip ...little good ole boys rumors....

Watched a stream of cars pull into the Sonic drive up bays...I mean it is summertime. That seems like a key part of their business model.

"Sorry the bays and lobby are closed. Only drive thru is open."

"Staff shortage" gonna close Sonic next?