SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

9 hours ago, Dustin said:

https://knoxradio.com/2022/03/06/business-news-gf-tax-breaks-green-mill-whiskey/

"The Grand Forks Planning and Zoning Commission has approved a blade sign for the Crooked Pint Ale House on South Columbia Road.  The signage will say “Green Mill on the Go.”  According to a staff report the Crooked Pint Ale House business will stay but they plan on offering Green Mill pizza.  Current code does not allow a sign attached to a building to project more than two (2) feet." 

Hope they bring back the mostaccioli, too.  That was one of my favorites at the GM before they dumped it from the menu.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:52 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hope they bring back the mostaccioli, too.  That was one of my favorites at the GM before they dumped it from the menu.

So will old Green Mill gift cards work?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kab said:

What and where, looks like it’s inside or outside 

it's the north side of the brewery...walking by last night took a pic thru the window...not sure what they are doing...seems unneeded...but we will see what the end result is.

9 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

It's public art - you don't have to pay for it - why do you care?   Or would you like to solve the puzzle Pat?

"you don't have to pay for it"...it says the Minnesota DOT is involved somehow so it looks like taxpayer money is being used (laundered).

9 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

It's public art - you don't have to pay for it - why do you care?   Or would you like to solve the puzzle Pat?

Public art is subsidized by state, local and federal taxes so everyone is paying for it.

‘if it’s all paid for by the owners of a business then you still pay when you do business with that company, not opposed  to the art , just saying

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kab said:

Public art is subsidized by state, local and federal taxes so everyone is paying for it.

‘if it’s all paid for by the owners of a business then you still pay when you do business with that company, not opposed  to the art , just saying

no opposed either...just pay for your hobbies yourself.

• Upvote 1

I think the new Hugo's downtown sells bandages for your bleeding knuckles.  The immortal JT from KNOX once said it best..."if it's really art why isn't is hanging on the wall?  I don't get it." (again - no further questions your honor)

Art is in the eye of the beholder.   My wife and I just got back from a weekend getaway to Sioux Falls.  Their downtown is rocking - and has public art everywhere.   We stayed in a cool boutique hotel downtown - had tons of restaurants, cool shops, and antique stores within easy walking distance.  They invested and it's paying off in spades!   GF is trying and is making progress - we can do it but all the bitching and frankly, JEALOUSY, about who's getting what isn't helping. 

We're lucky to have an artist like Dave Badman here.  "mrBIG" gfhockey adds only heat and no light to the GF economy despite acting like he's the !@#$...why don't you tell us what you've brought to GF we can appreciate?  You've turned on-line complaining into a full time job - thanks - not!

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

I think the new Hugo's downtown sells bandages for your bleeding knuckles.  The immortal JT from KNOX once said it best..."if it's really art why isn't is hanging on the wall?  I don't get it." (again - no further questions your honor)

Art is in the eye of the beholder.   My wife and I just got back from a weekend getaway to Sioux Falls.  Their downtown is rocking - and has public art everywhere.   We stayed in a cool boutique hotel downtown - had tons of restaurants, cool shops, and antique stores within easy walking distance.  They invested and it's paying off in spades!   GF is trying and is making progress - we can do it but all the bitching and frankly, JEALOUSY, about who's getting what isn't helping. 

We're lucky to have an artist like Dave Badman here.  "mrBIG" gfhockey adds only heat and no light to the GF economy despite acting like he's the !@#$...why don't you tell us what you've brought to GF we can appreciate?  You've turned on-line complaining into a full time job - thanks - not!

Nobody likes to complain more than North Dakotans. It’s the state pastime. 

Back to the subject at hand - the New Famous Dave's Quick 'Cue on Columbia.   First time I went was for lunch only to realize (along with 3 or 4 other potential customers walking up at the same time) They AREN'T OPEN FOR LUNCH!   Sign says 3pm so...wah WAHHHH.   (Jersey Mikes has great subs so no real loss)

Went there Friday AFTER 3pm and it was interesting.  The entrance makes it look tiny but there is a SIT DOWN entrance and TAKE OUT entrance and the place is bigger than you would think with sit-down areas on both sides.   Got a 6 rib slab with 2 sides (and cornbread) for $21 bucks and it was good but not great.  I know some gourmets think "falling off the bone" ribs are actually overcooked but these were still on the bone - cooked but with gelatinous fat still on the bone that left me thinking - "another half an hour on the smoker would have been a good compromise"  

Dave's sauces are good.  Their beans are amazing and Mac and Cheese okay but a little watery.   Satisfied but it's spendy for what you get.   I want to branch out and try some of the burnt ends and wings and other items.  A good addition to GF but it doesn't blow you away.   I've never tried BIgFoot BBQ so I'd be curious is anyone else has? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Back to the subject at hand - the New Famous Dave's Quick 'Cue on Columbia.   First time I went was for lunch only to realize (along with 3 or 4 other potential customers walking up at the same time) They AREN'T OPEN FOR LUNCH!   Sign says 3pm so...wah WAHHHH.   (Jersey Mikes has great subs so no real loss)

Went there Friday AFTER 3pm and it was interesting.  The entrance makes it look tiny but there is a SIT DOWN entrance and TAKE OUT entrance and the place is bigger than you would think with sit-down areas on both sides.   Got a 6 rib slab with 2 sides (and cornbread) for $21 bucks and it was good but not great.  I know some gourmets think "falling off the bone" ribs are actually overcooked but these were still on the bone - cooked but with gelatinous fat still on the bone that left me thinking - "another half an hour on the smoker would have been a good compromise"  

Dave's sauces are good.  Their beans are amazing and Mac and Cheese okay but a little watery.   Satisfied but it's spendy for what you get.   I want to branch out and try some of the burnt ends and wings and other items.  A good addition to GF but it doesn't blow you away.   I've never tried BIgFoot BBQ so I'd be curious is anyone else has? 

Bigfoot is legit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Bigfoot BBQ is very good. They catered a wedding I was at. Where are they located? Eagles Club?

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Bigfoot is legit.

Interesting. Either they've improved or the bar for BBQ remains relatively low in GF. Or maybe both. On the other hand, having a few "OK" places to get BBQ is better than having none.

My experience with their food has been "meh". Not bad but that's about it. I'll have to give them another try to see.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Interesting. Either they've improved or the bar for BBQ remains relatively low in GF. Or maybe both. On the other hand, having a few "OK" places to get BBQ is better than having none.

My experience with their food has been "meh". Not bad but that's about it. I'll have to give them another try to see.

I’m pretty picky with bbq and the two times I’ve had it I’ve had a good experience. But you know how that goes. Best bbq I’ve ever had was oddly in small town northern Wisconsin, right on the border of the U.P.

that place that sells tubs and thing in the blue building across from town square and the loft....not sure why northern supply would want that corner...it would be a great highly visible spot for a cafe, diner, or restaurant.  I don't  think i've ever seen a person in that spot...ever.