SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

9 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

that place that sells tubs and thing in the blue building across from town square and the loft....not sure why northern supply would want that corner...it would be a great highly visible spot for a cafe, diner, or restaurant.  I don't  think i've ever seen a person in that spot...ever.

It's not really a "walk-in" retail location.  It's where interior decorators invite clients to privately view sinks and other high priced tubs and such when they're doing renovations.   Tell me about it - we went there for a kitchen renovation last year but I have to say the giant stainless steel farm sink we chose was a BRILLIANT choice (thanks wife)   I doubted her but it's the size of Montana and we can wash everything in it.  VIVA Covid for home renovations!  Love our new kitchen and recommend Elle Interiors - they were amazing!

13 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

It's not really a "walk-in" retail location.  It's where interior decorators invite clients to privately view sinks and other high priced tubs and such when they're doing renovations.   Tell me about it - we went there for a kitchen renovation last year but I have to say the giant stainless steel farm sink we chose was a BRILLIANT choice (thanks wife)   I doubted her but it's the size of Montana and we can wash everything in it.  VIVA Covid for home renovations!  Love our new kitchen and recommend Elle Interiors - they were amazing!

Still sort of in the construction phase but another interior design company going in next to Italian Moon.

13 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

you would think then it would be nearer other "sister" businesses like sterling or near elle/vreeland/granite shop out on gateway then?

On 4/18/2022 at 12:19 AM, gfNDfan said:

Back to the subject at hand - the New Famous Dave's Quick 'Cue on Columbia.   First time I went was for lunch only to realize (along with 3 or 4 other potential customers walking up at the same time) They AREN'T OPEN FOR LUNCH!   Sign says 3pm so...wah WAHHHH.   (Jersey Mikes has great subs so no real loss)

Went there Friday AFTER 3pm and it was interesting.  The entrance makes it look tiny but there is a SIT DOWN entrance and TAKE OUT entrance and the place is bigger than you would think with sit-down areas on both sides.   Got a 6 rib slab with 2 sides (and cornbread) for $21 bucks and it was good but not great.  I know some gourmets think "falling off the bone" ribs are actually overcooked but these were still on the bone - cooked but with gelatinous fat still on the bone that left me thinking - "another half an hour on the smoker would have been a good compromise"  

Dave's sauces are good.  Their beans are amazing and Mac and Cheese okay but a little watery.   Satisfied but it's spendy for what you get.   I want to branch out and try some of the burnt ends and wings and other items.  A good addition to GF but it doesn't blow you away.   I've never tried BIgFoot BBQ so I'd be curious is anyone else has? 

Dave's is a welcome addition, IMHO.  Agree on spendy...$69 for three entrees + soft drinks (before tip).  But reliable, and familiar, quality.  

The place is deceptively large on the inside...most of it is tucked behind the newer, all-ages dining room at Vinyl Taco, and shares Taco's southern set of restrooms.  You'd never guess from the outside how much space there is.

GF needs to support these places.  The franchisee is investing some serious capital here, and I hope it succeeds.

EDIT:  Closed Sundays and Mondays, per the sign.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

you would think then it would be nearer other "sister" businesses like sterling or near elle/vreeland/granite shop out on gateway then?

I agree.  It's a prime downtown corner location perfect for retail but i think it fills a space for now.   Hopefully it will turn into a great spot when the Epic/Lyons/St Johns and OliveAnn hotel projects come together and downtown can really get rocking like Sioux Falls.   All of this takes time and downtown has gone in fits and spurts but it WILL be worth the investment when it all comes together.   We have all the pieces of the puzzle - it's still needs to be put together.  Patience is the key.

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

Still sort of in the construction phase but another interior design company going in next to Italian Moon.

Speaking of the Moon - what happened there?   Anyone still go there?   Hadn't been there in years even before covid after we had a bad experience but I recently thought - oh I miss them!   I'll do an order online.   Started with it but an order of ConQueso and went on to their pizza menu...it quickly hit $45 with no delivery charges added yet - WTF?  I canceled and can live without...is their food anything like it used to be anymore?   I see they're still open but dead to me.

Would like to see restaurants with half order plates. As I get older I can’t eat the amount of food you get.

some places do,have it but not very many

charge 2/3 of whole plate 

ate at a place the other day and shared a plate , was 1/3 the price of the whole plate but you get extra salad and soup which was very fair

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

finally found out about rhombus brewery...sounds like it it's gonna be called "teao" or "tea on"...couldn't tell what the girl was saying...open from 7am-4pm and it will be essentially a coffee shop/cafe..same owners but two distinct businesses.

Sounds like a bad idea

Could be the ultimate spot for a PEPPERJAX!! (fingers crossed)   The Sioux Falls sandwich shop that Hornbachers' cock-blocked then they left town - BBBBOOOO!!!!!  Boss Pizza has been a great add to the GF Food scene - we welcome ALL newcomers!

Aldi's is great for bargains btw.   Not a substitute for your regular grocery store but a nice diversion for great deals. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, northernraider said:

Food Network and EGF resident Molly Yah is officially opening a restaurant at the former Sickies building. This could be a nice addition, especially if other Food Network stars/famous chefs make an occasional visit. 

Fantastic news - she's a local treasure we need to embrace more.  VERY COOL THING a local lady has a Food Network Show that mentions GF all the time and is investing in us.   We need to show her some love too! Can't wait to see what she does.

BTW - Sickies is another Fargo restaurant that "tried" GF but bailed out in favor of expanding in the magical METRO market - they were never that good (marginal hamburgers) and are officially dead to me wherever I go in the future - just like Hornbachers as a grocery store.   

10 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Fantastic news - she's a local treasure we need to embrace more.  VERY COOL THING a local lady has a Food Network Show that mentions GF all the time and is investing in us.   We need to show her some love too! Can't wait to see what she does.

BTW - Sickies is another Fargo restaurant that "tried" GF but bailed out in favor of expanding in the magical METRO market - they were never that good (marginal hamburgers) and are officially dead to me wherever I go in the future - just like Hornbachers as a grocery store.   

"Tried"?? It was in EGF. You know anything about operating a restaurant on either side of the river. Ask anyone in their ownership group how its turned out with a 2nd one in Fargo vs operating one in EGF?

35 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Tried"?? It was in EGF. You know anything about operating a restaurant on either side of the river. Ask anyone in their ownership group how its turned out with a 2nd one in Fargo vs operating one in EGF?

I mean, they chose to move over there from their location on Columbia Rd. Have to agree though, quality and service went downhill after their move. 

the old whitey's building is a weird one..you have the old building that was never a restaurant before the flood iirc.....then the lumpy raised up front new addition in 1998...feels like two different buildings/restaurants when its open.

said this in 1998....whitey's should have moved in 2 buidlings on 3rd street in GF...the ely ivy building and the one to the north and recreated the EXACT layout of the old wonderbar, side bar, back back and the world's most crowded and cramped but awesome dining room they squeezed into essentially a closet that they had in egf before the flood.....

the blue moose also should/could add in a true rooftop deck on TOP of the building....you could see in 4 directions from way up there....it would be pretty awesome.

wish molly the best with that sickie's buidling but i would have envisioned someting smaller with more history...maybe a cafe in the blue building in GF (northern supply i think) connected to tea and crepe or ....buy out the PBR and make a true old fashioned cafe/diner in that buidling with a lot of glass right on the corner between rhombus brewery and all the spots going north of 3rd steet

It is odd the whiteys building can't hold a tenant with the highest visibility* but all the other restaurants on the same block seem to be there since forever. 

I have my doubts she holds the magic card for that spot.

But I wish her luck.

*old hardees/dickies/starbucks also comes to mind.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the old whitey's building is a weird one..you have the old building that was never a restaurant before the flood iirc.....then the lumpy raised up front new addition in 1998...feels like two different buildings/restaurants when its open.

said this in 1998....whitey's should have moved in 2 buidlings on 3rd street in GF...the ely ivy building and the one to the north and recreated the EXACT layout of the old wonderbar, side bar, back back and the world's most crowded and cramped but awesome dining room they squeezed into essentially a closet that they had in egf before the flood.....

the blue moose also should/could add in a true rooftop deck on TOP of the building....you could see in 4 directions from way up there....it would be pretty awesome.

wish molly the best with that sickie's buidling but i would have envisioned someting smaller with more history...maybe a cafe in the blue building in GF (northern supply i think) connected to tea and crepe or ....buy out the PBR and make a true old fashioned cafe/diner in that buidling with a lot of glass right on the corner between rhombus brewery and all the spots going north of 3rd steet

You sound like a Yelp reviewer—got all the answers. 

• Like 1