SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Gravy comes with waffle fries.

I believe they have reopened the border.  If I may sing...

OH CANADA - The hosers native land.   True gravy love...in ALL thy sides command!  With thickening arteries, we see cholesterol rise - a HEART ATTACK for you and me.  From far and wide - OH Canada - we have beds in Altru for THEEEEE!  (Unless they're filled with unvaxed American A-holes) ok - Back to the song...

God keep our land - Fattening and FREE!  We'll POUR gravy on everything for you and for me....GRAAAVVVYYY ON EVERYTHING for you and MEEEEEE!

Welcome back Canadians - peace!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Smoggy said:

The Shire restaurant in River Cinema movie theater is open. Lots fun stuff on walls and plenty tvs. More of a bar, but kids are allowed. Food is very good. Burgers and grilled cheese options. Gravy comes with waffle fries.

Who owns this? Same owner as theatre?

wow C'MON MAN!   nothing for this treatment of the Canadian National Anthem?  I thought the internet was about creativity? Especially when it comes to fries and gravy..

OH CANADA - The hosers native land.   True gravy love...in ALL thy sides command!  With thickening arteries, we see cholesterol rise - a HEART ATTACK for you and me.  From far and wide - OH Canada - we have beds in Altru for THEEEEE!  (Unless they're filled with unvaxed American A-holes) ok - Back to the song...

God keep our land - Fattening and FREE!  We'll POUR gravy on everything for you and for me....GRAAAVVVYYY ON EVERYTHING for you and MEEEEEE!

Welcome back Canadians - peace!

Northside Cafe by the Ralph - a review

My wife and I ate there last night for supper and it was decent.   Weird to walk in there so many years after it was Suite 49 - bar side still looks the same.   Family dining area was where they had the golf simulators so it's just a plain, undecorated wall and tables but they're doing a huge lunch biz so who cares about decor.   Supper crowd was light - about 4 other tables aside from us but only 1 waitress working late apparently so be prepared to wait a bit.  

Wife had a burger and fries - I had a Philly and waffle fries.   I go back and forth with waffle fries.   Like the concept but they can be really thick and under cooked - these were thin and very good!  Crispy, fresh and hot out of the fryer.   Delicious without the cover of ketchup and with me that's a good thing.  The sandwich was also hot, thick and generous with juicy meat and melted cheese.  Wife commented also the food came right out of the kitchen hot and ready.  Food rating for a couple of sandwiches with fried potatoes?   A - very good - what you'd expect from an old school cafe.  More on that....NOW!

The signage calls it "Northside - A Grand CIties Cafe!"  Hints at an UPSCALE attitude being by the Ralph:-)   This is just a cosmetic sham.  The menus are new and include a hip "barnwood" look but the food is entirely old school cafe.   The special the night we walked in was Meatloaf and there are plenty of Hot Meat and Mashed Potato options with gravy.  Menu was wide ranging but the base food looks solid so it's like Darcy's with SEATING CAPACITY meets the neighborhood's most eligible bachelor Ralph - the big wheel on the block!  Nice to have a restaurant back in that space imo!

Hopefully they will extend hours for the hockey crowds on weekends but if they don't - no big deal.  They'll make $$$ renting out the parking lot on hockey nights and not have to pay for more than a couple parking attendants.   We live on the north end and support north end businesses so we'll be back - hope others will give it a shot too!

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

My wife and I ate there last night for supper and it was decent.   Weird to walk in there so many years after it was Suite 49 - bar side still looks the same.   Family dining area was where they had the golf simulators so it's just a plain, undecorated wall and tables but they're doing a huge lunch biz so who cares about decor.   Supper crowd was light - about 4 other tables aside from us but only 1 waitress working late apparently so be prepared to wait a bit.  

Wife had a burger and fries - I had a Philly and waffle fries.   I go back and forth with waffle fries.   Like the concept but they can be really thick and under cooked - these were thin and very good!  Crispy, fresh and hot out of the fryer.   Delicious without the cover of ketchup and with me that's a good thing.  The sandwich was also hot, thick and generous with juicy meat and melted cheese.  Wife commented also the food came right out of the kitchen hot and ready.  Food rating for a couple of sandwiches with fried potatoes?   A - very good - what you'd expect from an old school cafe.  More on that....NOW!

The signage calls it "Northside - A Grand CIties Cafe!"  Hints at an UPSCALE attitude being by the Ralph:-)   This is just a cosmetic sham.  The menus are new and include a hip "barnwood" look but the food is entirely old school cafe.   The special the night we walked in was Meatloaf and there are plenty of Hot Meat and Mashed Potato options with gravy.  Menu was wide ranging but the base food looks solid so it's like Darcy's with SEATING CAPACITY meets the neighborhood's most eligible bachelor Ralph - the big wheel on the block!  Nice to have a restaurant back in that space imo!

Hopefully they will extend hours for the hockey crowds on weekends but if they don't - no big deal.  They'll make $$$ renting out the parking lot on hockey nights and not have to pay for more than a couple parking attendants.   We live on the north end and support north end businesses so we'll be back - hope others will give it a shot too!

Glad to hear the food was good.  I am going to miss the old place though.

12 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Do they have beer and wine?

Get your collective a$$es to EGF and eat at Boardwalk between now and January 17.  A lot.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/7290375-Boardwalks-penalty-for-violating-Minnesota-mandates-25000-fine-30-day-suspension-of-license

And God bless them for having the stones to stand up to garbage tyranny out of St. Paul.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

You maybe need to do more research on the history of that place. They are greedy and crooked as hell and the ownership change doesn't excuse the fact that they owe city taxpayers hundreds of thousands. Not a place that East Siders talk of about going to.

They knew the rules and yet tried to F over every other business in town and open. Trust me...other owners in town were furious with them. It was no act of bravery.

True - there is serious baggage there.   I won't drop names but it rhymes with HOUSE.   The restaurant is a great spot with the balcony view but we got turned off years ago when our snotty little waitress turned out to be the owners daughter and the "manager" sided with the snotty waitress despite a burger that was requested well-done and served with a middle so red it was still moo-ing.  No comp - no discount?  FU - No more business from us!

Jump ahead to the pandemic restrictions...violated the rules every other MN restaurant had to abide by?  NOPE!  If you want to support a place that opened at the worst possible time - delivered TP with your food order if you needed it during the worst of the lockdown - and has still found a way to roll with the punches of the aftermath support the Spud Jr.  They played within the rules - found ways to deliver at the worst of times and now they're doing a Thanksgiving Free Meal for the needy in the community as their latest give-back event.    The Boardwalk has never been worried about anyone but themselves.

• Upvote 3

PLUS - the owners said they were just "trying to help their employees pay bills" by opening?  What a lie! JM was rich enough to help her employees through this covid mess but she used them as an excuse to keep making HER money.   She put her employees AND her customers at risk trying to make a buck for herself.  What a POS!

FYI - City of EGF  - GIve that space to someone who actually cares about the community - not just their own rich, self serving ass.

13 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

PLUS - the owners said they were just "trying to help their employees pay bills" by opening?  What a lie! JM was rich enough to help her employees through this covid mess but she used them as an excuse to keep making HER money.   She put her employees AND her customers at risk trying to make a buck for herself.  What a POS!

FYI - City of EGF  - GIve that space to someone who actually cares about the community - not just their own rich, self serving ass.

All of this for an undercooked burger...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Ate at Harry’s. Great atmosphere. Great cocktails. Bland food. Very very bland. For the price the food should be on point with everything else. 

I want this place to succeed I really do. I am glad that someone mentioned this because the food is exactly that, bland. I really hope they can get it figured out. People will just stop going at some point. They do have good cocktails though.