SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

refresh my memory on Lee, I can remember him not having the greatest time at UND but I can't remember what it was or why? Maybe it had to do with his hitting opposing players with his purse instead of his pads?

Mostly has to do with the Sioux fans annual practice of picking out 1 defenseman to put blame on for anything that goes wrong....i.e. Blood, Finley, Lee, etc.....strange enough it is usually a D-man who our coaching staff has the most confidence in and normally plays them the most minutes and also has the audacity to play on the power play and penalty kill along with logging the most minutes, especially at crunch time.

Lee was a pretty solid performer at UND but maybe didn't live up to the expectations of being a first round draft pick. In fairness to fans, watching Lee was frustrating at times as he never seemed to want to make a big hit and seemed like he was more concerned with how his skating form looked and never really seemed to play with any urgency.(a lasting impression is him coasting after a puck in St. Louis when BC was shorthanded and he forgot we were on the Power Play and had our goalie pulled)

Mostly has to do with the Sioux fans annual practice of picking out 1 defenseman to put blame on for anything that goes wrong....i.e. Blood, Finley, Lee, etc.....strange enough it is usually a D-man who our coaching staff has the most confidence in and normally plays them the most minutes and also has the audacity to play on the power play and penalty kill along with logging the most minutes, especially at crunch time.

Lee was a pretty solid performer at UND but maybe didn't live up to the expectations of being a first round draft pick. In fairness to fans, watching Lee was frustrating at times as he never seemed to want to make a big hit and seemed like he was more concerned with how his skating form looked and never really seemed to play with any urgency.

This is pretty much it. I'll add this too: He's over 6'1 and a Dman. He should deliver crushing hits like MacWilliam, Greene, Blood, Commodore, etc. To many Sioux fans, what Lee's game was (a puck moving offensive styled defenseman) was irrelevent. Couple that with the fact that he was a top 10 draft pick and it was basically assumed that he'd be superhuman.

He was railed upon CONSTANTLY and far more, in my opinion, viciously than any defenseman I can remember including Finley.

It's funny to see that he was 2nd on the team in offense (at least among defensemen) and yet he was viewed upon as basically a garbage player for UND. Always brings a chuckle to my lips.

He certainly wasn't the best defenseman UND has had, but he certainly represents the worst UND fans can be towards one of their own. I'm kindof curious about his brother.

Had UND been a good experience for Brian, would John have come to UND? Mere hypotheticals now but it's worth thinking about

This is pretty much it. I'll add this too: He's over 6'1 and a Dman. He should deliver crushing hits like MacWilliam, Greene, Blood, Commodore, etc. To many Sioux fans, what Lee's game was (a puck moving offensive styled defenseman) was irrelevent. Couple that with the fact that he was a top 10 draft pick and it was basically assumed that he'd be superhuman.

He was railed upon CONSTANTLY and far more, in my opinion, viciously than any defenseman I can remember including Finley.

It's funny to see that he was 2nd on the team in offense (at least among defensemen) and yet he was viewed upon as basically a garbage player for UND. Always brings a chuckle to my lips.

He certainly wasn't the best defenseman UND has had, but he certainly represents the worst UND fans can be towards one of their own. I'm kindof curious about his brother.

Had UND been a good experience for Brian, would John have come to UND? Mere hypotheticals now but it's worth thinking about

I never heard anything about him not having a positive experience with coaches, teammates, and in the room....but I know his parents(most parents usually make their way to the Suite level for games) thought it would be cool to watch a games down in the lower bowl with the rest of the fans.....that experiement lasted for 1 game.

I never heard anything about him not having a positive experience with coaches, teammates, and in the room....but I know his parents(most parents usually make their way to the Suite level for games) thought it would be cool to watch a games down in the lower bowl with the rest of the fans.....that experiement lasted for 1 game.

I heard rumblings at the time but there was nothing that was solid. But yeah, the fans were vicious to Brian.

Brian Lee was treated unfairly, no question. You have to remember he was only a freshman and sophomore while at UND. He put up 27 and 26 points respectively. I think he did very well considering we used him like he was a junior or senior his two seasons at school.

Brian Lee was treated unfairly, no question. You have to remember he was only a freshman and sophomore while at UND. He put up 27 and 26 points respectively. I think he did very well considering we used him like he was a junior or senior his two seasons at school.

Precisely.

I too agree and I am perhaps guilty of being harsh on Lee which looking back on it was probably in poor taste. I do agree that he certainly was not the worse defenseman we have seen and actually did a pretty good job. Was it 1st round? That I suppose is debatable. I do agree with geaux_sioux about the heart. I don't care if you are a walkon or a 1st rounder if you come to UND you better have heart, enough said. I am not sure if the Sioux coaches were looking or offered Jon Lee a scholly but I think the way it turned out we were probably better off without him.

He left due to the experience and his brother wanted nothing to do with UND because of it as well. Witness all the dumb penalties that John would take every time DU played UND.

He left due to the experience and his brother wanted nothing to do with UND because of it as well. Witness all the dumb penalties that John would take every time DU played UND.

You know this for fact? If he (Brian) got that worked up about fan criticism, that is a personal character flaw. You play big time sports, you need a thick skin. I was no big fan of Lee, but I was never brutal either...I can't believe that a player would care that much about fan gossip. Seems pretty pathetic if true

You know this for fact? If he (Brian) got that worked up about fan criticism, that is a personal character flaw. You play big time sports, you need a thick skin. I was no big fan of Lee, but I was never brutal either...I can't believe that a player would care that much about fan gossip. Seems pretty pathetic if true

If I remember right Schlossman had said that Lee wanted to play 2 years at UND and then go pro...

John Lee was the backup plan if we didn't get Ben Blood. Looks like we got the better end of the deal there.

Do you think Caggiula will come in if Kristo leaves?

I believe it would be him or Tambellini. Not sure on a preference. Caggiula is older, but Tambellini plays in a better league. Though the only reason Caggiula left Des Moines (USHL) was because he was homesick.

I believe it would be him or Tambellini. Not sure on a preference. Caggiula is older, but Tambellini plays in a better league. Though the only reason Caggiula left Des Moines (USHL) was because he was homesick.

I know they both will graduate HS this spring, but if one does come in I think it will be Caggiula. From what I have heard, Caggiula is a very physical forward so it seems he would be more suited for a lower line role. Tambellini is more of a high-end, skilled prospect, so he will would probably stay in Junior one more year. In 2013 he would enroll and hopefully become a solid contributor as a freshman.

Speaking of Caggiula...

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=91016

UND recruit Drake Caggiula led the Stouffville Spirit to the OJHL playoff title on Friday night, scoring a goal and adding an assist in Stouffvilleā€™s 4-3 overtime win over Whitby in Game 6.

Caggiula (pronounced ka-jew-la) led the OJHL in both playoff goals (17) and playoff points (37) in 23 games and was named the playoff MVP.

I feel like this kid Drake Caggiula, is the real deal. He's a steal of a recruit. Regardless if he comes next year or not, one has to give credit to Hak and company for finding this blue chip recruit early on. I know a lot of WCHA teams will be disappointed they didn't act on this kid earlier. How Hak and company, found him before everyone else, is a truly a thing of beauty in terms of recruiting.

I wouldn't be surprised for this kid to go a lot higher in the NHL draft than he is projected. Just my 2 cents.

Off note, that kid will learn real quick at UND that those rubbing the ice goal theatrics is unacceptable at UND. If Kristo, is still around, he can be the one to educate him on that, as Kristo was served a tough lesson his freshman year on how to celebrate goals properly.

Not bashing the kid, he needs to learn this lesson, We (UND) don't do that. If you want's to do that sh^t go play at Minnesota.

Off note, that kid will learn real quick at UND that those rubbing the ice goal theatrics is unacceptable at UND. If Kristo, is still around, he can be the one to educate him on that, as Kristo was served a tough lesson his freshman year on how to celebrate goals properly.

Agreed that he won't be doing that for long once he arrives at UND.

I would think that the only way Caggiula comes in this fall is if Kristo leaves, otherwise we'll be jammed at forward. Quite the difference from this year.